From: Karsten Tinnefeld <tinnefeld@noether.informatik.uni-dortmund.de>
Subject: howto use non-embedded TeX fonts in acrobat reader
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 13:33:16 +0100	[thread overview]

Hans talk at DANTE conference in Dortmund was quite impressive, thus I
liked to take a look at context. Unfortunately, the context directory
tree as on CTAN contains some pdf documentation that uses TeX fonts but
does not have them embedded. I skimmed though this mailinglists archive
but did not find an answer to my problem:

I did not manage to tell Acrobat Reader to use the bluesky CM fonts I
provided it with under SUN Solaris. On the screen, unknown characters
(i.e. every character in context/generic/doc/*pdf) are displayed as big
dots and small dots, on the printer they are all replaced by Helvetica
which does not have ligatures and other special chars (not to tell
about the kerning).

UNIX Acroread has a Fonts directory with some base PS T1 fonts and an
AcroRead.upr config file. I linked the bluesky/cm fonts therein and
recreated AcroRead.upr with the Display PostScript makepsres command -
it added lines like the following:
FontFamily
[...]
Computer Modern=LCMSS8,LCMSS8,LCMSSB8,LCMSSB8,LCMSSI8,LCMSSI8,MB10,CMB10,\
MBSY10,CMBSY10,MBX10,CMBX10,MBX12,CMBX12,MBX5,CMBX5,MBX6,CMBX6,MBX7,CMBX7,\
MBX8,CMBX8,MBX9,CMBX9,MBXSL10,CMBXSL10,MBXTI10,CMBXTI10,MCSC10,CMCSC10,\
MDUNH10,CMDUNH10,MEX10,CMEX10,\
[...]
.
FontOutline
CMB10=cmb10.pfb
CMBSY10=cmbsy10.pfb
CMBX10=cmbx10.pfb
CMBX12=cmbx12.pfb
[...]

Acroread does read the file (it complained about a typo) but does not
understand or realize the changes. Did I do anything wrong? Are the
documents buggy?
--
Karsten Tinnefeld
				Silence is the perfectest herald of joy: