* typeface question: no small capped
@ 2006-08-16 18:42 Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-08-16 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
  I do not get a small capped with the following setup. Can someone
explain what I am missing in the definitions.

\definetypeface[ieee] [rm]  [serif] [times]     [default]
[encoding=texnansi]
\definetypeface[ieee] [ss]  [sans]  [helvetica] [default]
[rscale=0.9,encoding=texnansi]
\definetypeface[ieee] [tt]  [mono]  [courier]   [default]
[rscale=1.1,encoding=texnansi]
\definetypeface[ieee] [mm]  [maths] [modern]    [default]
[encoding=texnansi]

\setupbodyfont[ieee,10pt]
\setupinterlinespace[line=12pt]

\starttext
{\sc test}
\stoptext

Aditya

* Re: typeface question: no small capped
@ 2006-08-16 19:22 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2006-08-16 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 16, 2006, at 8:42 PM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> Hi,
>   I do not get a small capped with the following setup. Can someone
> explain what I am missing in the definitions.

I'd be very surprised if the free times font has any small caps. I
fyou want them, you'll have to fake 'em (but I would recommend
against that, it's really ugly).

Thomas

* Re: typeface question: no small capped
@ 2006-08-16 21:27   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-08-16 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> On Aug 16, 2006, at 8:42 PM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>   I do not get a small capped with the following setup. Can someone
>> explain what I am missing in the definitions.
>>

> I'd be very surprised if the free times font has any small caps. I
> fyou want them, you'll have to fake 'em (but I would recommend
> against that, it's really ugly).

I want to write a conference paper according to IEEE (latex) format,
and this involves copying all the bad font choices in IEEEtran.cls
(Times text, cm math, ughh...). I need smallcaps only for section
titles, so right now I am doing a local switch to latin modern for the
section titles. This is what IEEEtran.cls also does. Do you think that
faking smallcaps from Times will look better? If so, how can I fake
smallcaps?

Thanks,

@ 2006-08-17  5:41     ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2006-08-17  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 16, 2006, at 11:27 PM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> I want to write a conference paper according to IEEE (latex) format,
> and this involves copying all the bad font choices in IEEEtran.cls
> (Times text, cm math, ughh...). I need smallcaps only for section
> titles, so right now I am doing a local switch to latin modern for the
> section titles. This is what IEEEtran.cls also does. Do you think that
> faking smallcaps from Times will look better? If so, how can I fake
> smallcaps?
>
> Thanks,
> Aditya

Faking is already implemented: \kap{foo} (see cont-eni, chapter 5.7).
You decide if this is uglier than using latin modern for section
titles. I have actually bought a couple of professional fonts, and
once you've seen the real McCoy, you'll find the fake ones repulsive.
But most people won't even realize, I guess.

HTH

Thomas

* Re: typeface question: no small capped
@ 2006-08-18  4:12       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-08-18  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> On Aug 16, 2006, at 11:27 PM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>

>> I want to write a conference paper according to IEEE (latex) format,
>> and this involves copying all the bad font choices in IEEEtran.cls
>> (Times text, cm math, ughh...). I need smallcaps only for section
>> titles, so right now I am doing a local switch to latin modern for the
>> section titles. This is what IEEEtran.cls also does. Do you think that
>> faking smallcaps from Times will look better? If so, how can I fake
>> smallcaps?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Aditya
>
> Faking is already implemented: \kap{foo} (see cont-eni, chapter 5.7).

Why is there no "true" faking. I mean with \kap (or \cap or
\smallcapped, all of which are the same), the faked text does not look
like small caps. Compare the output of

{\sc Introduction Again}
\smallcapped{Introduction Again}

Why is there nothing along the lines of the following (unless I missed
something in core-fnt.tex)

\def\mysmallcapped{\let\processword\domysmallcapped\processwords}
\def\domysmallcapped#1{\startdomysmallcapped#1\stopdomysmallcapped}
\def\startdomysmallcapped#1#2\stopdomysmallcapped{\cap{#1\cap{#2}}}

\mysmallcapped{Introduction Again}

I agree that this does not look great, but does look better than using
lm small caps with times text.

> You decide if this is uglier than using latin modern for section
> titles. I have actually bought a couple of professional fonts, and
> once you've seen the real McCoy, you'll find the fake ones repulsive.
> But most people won't even realize, I guess.

Sad but true. Hopefully the STIX fonts will be released[1] and I will
be able to use real small caps with a times like font.

Aditya

[1] I checked their website and it was updated yesterday. Looks like
they will finally make a release :)