From: Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>
To: juh <juh+ntg-context@mailbox.org>,
Subject: Re: lmtx error: You can't use 'integer 340' in internal vertical mode
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2021 17:12:00 +0100	[thread overview]

On 2/20/2021 4:42 PM, juh wrote:
> Am Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 01:17:15PM +0100 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>>>
>>> Nothing too fancy. I attached the files with mode definitions
>> works here so you need to make a mwe
>
> Maybe it was the option --arrange. When I unset it, lmtx compiles without
> problems and the result seems to be ok.
>
> I believe that I needed the options earlier because I position three pages on a a4 paper to get
> a folded flyer. The option seems to be obsolete now.
hm, but it still makes sense to know if something fails .. keep en eye on it

this integer message just means that some number reference ends up in
the list while \the or something similar needs to be used; it's normally
a signal of something wrong in a macro; in luamatatex we use cheap
integers for modes, think of

   \integerdef\foo123

and then \foo is not supposed to show up on its own (unless you use
\the\foo and then you see 123) but is to be used in a context where a
number is expected ... so, it's not something 'dramatic' happening here
and at least we get some signal

now, when for instance we use a traditional cheap integer, like

   \chardef\foo123

we can use that as a number (\ifnum\foo ...) but when we put that one
someplacem like

   test \foo test

tex will not complain but just typeset that number. Now, because these
states normally are 0, 1 or 2, you actually would get a reference to a
character but these are never in normal fonts so what you get then is
some 'invisible' glyph node

depending on the place you can get an empty page, an empty line, messed
up spacing, or just nothing if it in the text stream so if this is some
old issue you'd see some side effect too (but no error message)

maybe that gives a clue (like a message about a font not having a
character on the console or in the log)

Hans