* Re: Erratic error message
       [not found] <mailman.1.1411466401.12317.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2014-09-23 10:51 ` Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2014-09-23 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 23 Sep 2014, at  11:34:45 +0600, Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net> wrote

> Am 2014-09-18 um 01:37 schrieb Robert Blackstone <blackstone.robert@gmail.com>:
>
>> I would not know how to make a minimal example that will consistently give the error.
>> I had hoped that this text in the error message: ?Attempt to double-free dir node 54467, ignored? would contain some information as to what might be wrong, but apparently it does not.
>
> Might that mean something like ?too many open files??
> Did you try to change you OS?s settings? See http://wiki.contextgarden.net/LilyPond#Too_many_open_files
>
> Or maybe too many files in a working directory (that containing your files or a temp dir of ConTeXt)?

Thanks, Hraban, for your advice.
I’ve no idea whether or not the error is connected with “too many open files”. The Project needs some 40 files but its working directory contains some 120 files  (most of them only for testing purposes). Moreover, I usually only have the “project-file" open during processing (but I don’t know if that is important here).
Surprisingly, as I wrote in my first post on this subject, the error up till now only occurs when I use interaction, and it usually does not occur anymore, at least on the same day, after I processed it once without interaction. But the next day, after sleep (of the Mac), the error may occur again.

I did not change the settings but I will in case the problem gets worse.

Best regards,
Robert

* Re: Erratic error message
@ 2014-09-23 11:42   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2014-09-23 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23 Sep 2014, at 12:51, Robert Blackstone <blackstone.robert@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 23 Sep 2014, at  11:34:45 +0600, Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net> wrote
>>
>> Am 2014-09-18 um 01:37 schrieb Robert Blackstone <blackstone.robert@gmail.com>:
>>
>>> I would not know how to make a minimal example that will consistently give the error.
>>> I had hoped that this text in the error message: ?Attempt to double-free dir node 54467, ignored? would contain some information as to what might be wrong, but apparently it does not.
>>
>> Might that mean something like ?too many open files??
>> Did you try to change you OS?s settings? See http://wiki.contextgarden.net/LilyPond#Too_many_open_files
>>
>> Or maybe too many files in a working directory (that containing your files or a temp dir of ConTeXt)?
>
> Thanks, Hraban, for your advice.
> I’ve no idea whether or not the error is connected with “too many open files”.

It is not. “dir node” means “direction node” in this context. Nodes are LuaTeX internal data structure objects.
Various bits of ConTeXt manipulate these objects, and sometimes the reference counting goes off and one
whose memory has already been given back to the operating system is asked to release its memory again.

The message is harmless, but it points to a small lua programming error somewhere in the source (either
by the author or by ConTeXt).

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Erratic error message
       [not found] <mailman.1.1411552801.15761.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2014-09-24 10:22 ` Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2014-09-24 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 24 Sep 2014, at 12:00 ,  13:42:41 +0200 Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote

> On 23 Sep 2014, at 12:51, Robert Blackstone <blackstone.robert@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Might that mean something like ?too many open files??
>>> Did you try to change you OS?s settings? See http://wiki.contextgarden.net/LilyPond#Too_many_open_files
>>>
>>> Or maybe too many files in a working directory (that containing your files or a temp dir of ConTeXt)?
>>
>> Thanks, Hraban, for your advice.
>> I?ve no idea whether or not the error is connected with ?too many open files?.
>
> It is not. ?dir node? means ?direction node? in this context. Nodes are LuaTeX internal data structure objects.
> Various bits of ConTeXt manipulate these objects, and sometimes the reference counting goes off and one
> whose memory has already been given back to the operating system is asked to release its memory again.
>
> The message is harmless, but it points to a small lua programming error somewhere in the source (either
> by the author or by ConTeXt).

Thanks, Taco.
I will stop worrying about looming disasters.

Best regards,
Robert

* Re: Erratic error message
@ 2014-09-23  5:34   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2014-09-23  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2014-09-18 um 01:37 schrieb Robert Blackstone <blackstone.robert@gmail.com>:

> I would not know how to make a minimal example that will consistently give the error.
> I had hoped that this text in the error message: “Attempt to double-free dir node 54467, ignored” would contain some information as to what might be wrong, but apparently it does not.

Might that mean something like „too many open files“?
Did you try to change you OS’s settings? See http://wiki.contextgarden.net/LilyPond#Too_many_open_files

Or maybe too many files in a working directory (that containing your files or a temp dir of ConTeXt)?

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: Erratic error message
@ 2014-09-17 21:39   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-09-17 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9/17/2014 9:37 PM, Robert Blackstone wrote:

> On 17 Sep 2014, at 19:38 ,  Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote
>>
>> On 9/17/2014 12:59 PM, Robert Blackstone wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> When typesetting my project with interaction, sometimes the processing
>>> stops after a few runs with an error message that points at an empty
>>> line in one of the chapters that normally gives no trouble.
>>
>> a minimal example is needed
>
> HI Hans,
> I have tested this project down to every little snippett and I never get this error with the message as described, unless the whole project, a book of about 450 pages with around 400 graphics, is processed with interaction, and even then it does not always occur. It may or may not happen.
> I would not know how to make a minimal example that will consistently give the error.
> I had hoped that this text in the error message: “Attempt to double-free dir node 54467, ignored” would contain some information as to what might be wrong, but apparently it does not.
> Anyway, thanks for your attention.

well, it can be an issue in the engine as well as in context and it's
hard to guess where and why it happens, so we need to wait till we have
a predictable and repeatable case

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Erratic error message
       [not found] <mailman.1073.1410975487.2240.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2014-09-17 19:37 ` Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2014-09-17 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2014-09-17 13:24 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-09-17 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> [...]
> approaching fast.
>

> I use mkiv on Mac OSX 10.9.4. All my standalone versions from january up
> to today give the same behaviour.
>

> I mostly get the followingerror message:  (occasionally something
> different happens: the processing gets into some endless loop and I have
> to abort it)
>

> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> tex error > error on line 2314 in file TD-Ch3.tex: ! Attempt to
> double-free dir node 54467, ignored
>

> \page_shipouts_normal ...box \shipoutscratchbox }}
>
> \else \page_shipouts_ignor...
>
> \page_boxes_shipout ... {\box \shipoutscratchbox }
>
> \fi \setnextrealpageno \th...
>
> \page_otr_construct_and_shipout ...cted_page #1#2}
>
> \page_otr_flush_pending_co...
>
> \page_sides_output_routine_nop ...de_float_output
>
> \global \d_page_sides_vsiz...
>
> \page_sides_output_routine ...._output_routine_nop
>
> \fi
>
> \page_otr_triggered_output_routine ...and_routine
>
> \fi

> l.2314
>

> 2304 {\externalfigure[LegrenIoViLasfa]}{}
>
> 2305 {\externalfigure[LegrenIoViLasfi**]}{}%LegrenIoViLasfi* voor
> verbeterde versie
>
> 2306 \stopcombination
>
> 2307
>
> 2308
>
> 2309 %{\externalfigure[LegrenIoViLastot]}
>
> 2310 %Ex. 3.70 Legrenzi\index[Legrenzi]{Legrenzi, Giovanni}, aria
> \quote{Io vi lascio}
>
> 2311
>
> 2312
>
> 2313 Of course the major 6th should also be played upon the {\em a}in b.~3.
>
> 2314 >>
>
> 2315
>
> 2316A number of major 6ths occur in the first section of
> Frescobaldi\index[Frescobaldi]{Frescobaldi, Girolamo}'s \quote{Capriccio
> sopra La Sol Fa Mi Re Ut}
> %\footnote{Frescobaldi\index[Frescobaldi]{Frescobaldi, Girolamo}, {\em
> Il primo libro di capricci} (Rome, 1624), ME (Milan, 1984), 9.}
>
> 2317
> (\in{Ex.}[fig:FrescCaprLaSolFaMiReUtfi]).\footnote{\dcite{Frescobaldi:1984blb},
> 9.} All sharps are used above respectively the descending bass
> progressions {\em e'}$\xrightarrow[none]${\em d'}, with {\em \sharp
> c''}; {\em a}$\xrightarrow[none]${\em g}, with {\em \sharp f''}, %G\sharp,
>
> 2318 and {\em B}$\xrightarrow[none]${\em A} with {\em \sharp g'}. %G\sharp.
>
> 2319
>
> 2320
>
> 2321
> \placeexample[force][fig:FrescCaprLaSolFaMiReUtfi]{Frescobaldi\index[Frescobaldi]{Frescobaldi,
> Girolamo}, \quote{Capriccio sopra La Sol Fa Mi Re Ut}, bb.~7-15}
>
> 2322 {\externalfigure[FrescCaprLaSolFaMiReUtfi*]}%* voor compr
>
> 2323 %Ex. 3.71 Frescobaldi\index[Frescobaldi]{Frescoba

> Does anybody have any idea what is wrong here? (I should add that when I
> comment out or hide this passage the error moves to the next passage and

a minimal example is needed

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Erratic error message