* Beta bib module release
@ 2005-09-27 13:02 Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-09-27 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I have prepared a beta release of the bibliography module,
and uploaded it as

   http://tex.aanhet.net/bib/m-bib-beta-20050927.zip

Because it is only a beta, I have not fixed the documentation yet.
The differences between this version and the one in the ConTeXt
distribution are outlined below.

I know that the wishlist is quite long, and there are even still
bugs I have not looked into, but I have to release *something*
otherwise nothing will ever happen. Somehow I never seem to get
around to working on the module. :-(

Comments (and testfiles) are welcome, and feel free to update
the wishlist on the wiki :

   http://wiki.contextgarden.net/User:Taco/Bib

Happy TeXing, Taco

Bugfixes:

* The extra spaces in the output of authors and editors
   inside the publication list should be gone.

* \newbibfield now works as advertised

* It is possible to use context commands with the same
   name as a bib fieldname inside the arguments of the
   fields. This now compiles correctly:

   \startpublication[k=garden,t=misc,a={Wiki people}]
   \thekey{Wiki people}
   \title{The \type{\ConTeXt} garden}
   \note{See also \useurl[pedia]{http://wikipedia.com}\url[pedia]}
   \url{http://wiki.contextgarden.net}
   \stoppublication

New features:

* Two new styles are now part of the distribution:
   bibl-apa-de.tex and bibl-ssa.tex

* \cite now accepts \setupcite arguments in the
   optional argument, so you can do stuff like

     \cite[right={, chapter 5)}][key]

   The commands
     \cite[alternative=author][key]
   and
     \cite[author][key]
   are equivalent

* The bibtex fields URL and LASTCHECKED have been added
   to the bst files.

* Two new \setupcite arguments 'andtext' and 'otherstext'
   have been added, and the language-dependancy of the bst
   files has been removed.

* There is a new type of \citation:

      \cite[url][key]

   It does not do any kind of interaction, if you want that
   you have to wrap the \cite in another command. Internally,
   this uses the new 'u=' argument to \startpublication.

* Also, \cite[doi][key] now actually does generate the doi in
   the text (this uses the 'o=' argument to \startpublication)

* Finally, you can get selected data bits from a publication
   by using

     \getcitedata [url] [garden] to \gardenlink

   (in this case, \gardenlink will be \def-ed to the value
   of the \url{..} field in the bib item with label 'garden').

Discontinued:

* I have removed t-bibltx.tex. All it did was define the
   \newcommand command, and you are better off using the
   new latex emulation module for that.

* I dropped support for the INSTITUTE field in bibtex
   (it was never actually used anyway)

* Re: Beta bib module release
@ 2005-09-28 20:46 ` Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2005-09-28 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco,

just so you don't think nobody is interested in your new beta: I
dlded it today and played with it, but had to revert to the old
version because it somehow did not honor the modifications I made to
\setuppublicationlayout (I was getting some default instead of my own
version, and there were spurious periods and colons in all the
entries). I will test it again within the next few days. By the way:
I spent one hour last weekend and, by judiciously sprinkling some
\unskip's in my definitions, had gotten rid of the extra spaces. I
actually wanted to write to you about it this week...

Meanwhile, the one thing that I find really disturbing is the messed
up vertical spacing. I'm doing my first real-life book project with
Context and your bib module. It won't be finished before sometime
next year, but expect me to come knockin' on your door often. My
bibliography is long (371 items), but fairly regular, so I think
everything else is working just fine, but I can't give a pdf to the
publisher where the lines are so irregular. Any chance of you looking
into that soon?

But first: thanks so much for providing the module and working on it!

Best

Thomas

@ 2005-09-28 20:51   ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-09-28 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 22:46:32 +0200, Thomas A.Schmitz
<thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:

> Taco,
>
> just so you don't think nobody is interested in your new beta:

The bib module is crucial for me as well. I've been using an ancient
version (the stand-alone version) but I'll be trying out the new one soon,
for two issues of my journal (woefully behind schedule).

Thank you in advance for all your hard work!

Best
Idris

--
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: Beta bib module release
@ 2005-09-29  6:57   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-09-29  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Thomas,

Thomas A.Schmitz wrote:
> Taco,
>
> just so you don't think nobody is interested in your new beta: I  dlded
> it today and played with it, but had to revert to the old  version
> because it somehow did not honor the modifications I made to
> \setuppublicationlayout (I was getting some default instead of my own
> version, and there were spurious periods and colons in all the
> entries).

I saw those in my (very small) example file as well, but that is
from a database that is known to have flaws so I didn't investigate
any further and just assumed that they were caused by broken input.
I will check again.

> I will test it again within the next few days. By the way:  I
> spent one hour last weekend and, by judiciously sprinkling some
> \unskip's in my definitions, had gotten rid of the extra spaces. I
> actually wanted to write to you about it this week...

Don't you hate it when that happens?

> Meanwhile, the one thing that I find really disturbing is the messed  up
> vertical spacing. I'm doing my first real-life book project with
> Context and your bib module. It won't be finished before sometime  next
> year, but expect me to come knockin' on your door often. My
> bibliography is long (371 items), but fairly regular, so I think
> everything else is working just fine, but I can't give a pdf to the
> publisher where the lines are so irregular. Any chance of you looking
> into that soon?

The vertical spacing in my example looks ok, so perhaps it
something in your setup that messes it up hard (or something in
my setup that masks the problem). Can you send me an excerpt for
testing maybe?

Cheers, Taco

* Re: Beta bib module release
@ 2005-09-29  7:49     ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2005-09-29  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Taco,

disregard most of what I wrote yesterday: most of your new module is
working fine, thanks so much! Haven't tested the new features yet,
but will very soon. I'm especially thrilled by the \cite[right=]
command and hope it works!

One major (but probably easy-to-fix) problem is that your wonderfully
clear syntax {<before}{<after>}{<instead>} isn't working anymore.
Here's an example. I have this line in my setup for books:
     \insertseries{ (}{), }{, }%
which used to work: if the entry has information about the series,
put it in parentheses and append a comma, if it doesn't, just put the
comma. With the new module, I get an extra (), after every title, and
the same is true for other constructs.

One question: in the parsed bbl file, the bibtex field "address" is
translated into "city," "publisher" into "pubname," and "year" into
"pubyear." Is there a reason for this? I found it a bit confusing
because you have a macro \insertpublisher which inserts "city,
pubname"; coming from the names in the database, I couldn't figure
out what was happening until I looked at the source. Would it be
possible to just keep the fieldnames as bibtex has them?

As for  the vertical spacing problem: depending on the font and the
settings for interlinespace, it is more or less visible. To see a
really clear case, try setting the interlinespace to something really
big like 5ex, then you can see that space within the entries is
regular while space between entries is somewhat smaller.

Again, thanks a lot for your wonderful work, and tot ziens!

Thomas

On Sep 29, 2005, at 8:57 AM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> Thomas A.Schmitz wrote:
>
>> Taco,
>> just so you don't think nobody is interested in your new beta: I
>> dlded it today and played with it, but had to revert to the old
>> version because it somehow did not honor the modifications I made
>> to  \setuppublicationlayout (I was getting some default instead of
>> my own  version, and there were spurious periods and colons in all
>> the  entries).
>>

> I saw those in my (very small) example file as well, but that is
> from a database that is known to have flaws so I didn't investigate
> any further and just assumed that they were caused by broken input.
> I will check again.
>

>> I will test it again within the next few days. By the way:  I
>> spent one hour last weekend and, by judiciously sprinkling some
>> \unskip's in my definitions, had gotten rid of the extra spaces.
>> I  actually wanted to write to you about it this week...
>>

> Don't you hate it when that happens?
>

>> Meanwhile, the one thing that I find really disturbing is the
>> messed  up vertical spacing. I'm doing my first real-life book
>> project with  Context and your bib module. It won't be finished
>> before sometime  next year, but expect me to come knockin' on your
>> door often. My  bibliography is long (371 items), but fairly
>> regular, so I think  everything else is working just fine, but I
>> can't give a pdf to the  publisher where the lines are so
>> irregular. Any chance of you looking  into that soon?
>>

> The vertical spacing in my example looks ok, so perhaps it
> something in your setup that messes it up hard (or something in
> my setup that masks the problem). Can you send me an excerpt for
> testing maybe?
>
> Cheers, Taco

* Re: Beta bib module release
@ 2005-09-29 14:50       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-09-29 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> Hi Taco,
>
> disregard most of what I wrote yesterday: most of your new module is
> working fine, thanks so much! Haven't tested the new features yet,  but
> will very soon. I'm especially thrilled by the \cite[right=]  command
> and hope it works!
>
> One major (but probably easy-to-fix) problem is that your wonderfully
> clear syntax {<before}{<after>}{<instead>} isn't working anymore.
> Here's an example. I have this line in my setup for books:
>     \insertseries{ (}{), }{, }%
> which used to work: if the entry has information about the series,  put
> it in parentheses and append a comma, if it doesn't, just put the
> comma. With the new module, I get an extra (), after every title, and
> the same is true for other constructs.

I have found this bug, and uploaded a new beta:

   http://tex.aanhet.net/bib/m-bib-beta-20050929.zip

The output here looks a whole lot better now.

> One question: in the parsed bbl file, the bibtex field "address" is
> translated into "city," "publisher" into "pubname," and "year" into
> "pubyear." Is there a reason for this? I found it a bit confusing
> because you have a macro \insertpublisher which inserts "city,
> pubname"; coming from the names in the database, I couldn't figure  out
> what was happening until I looked at the source. Would it be  possible
> to just keep the fieldnames as bibtex has them?

I did this originally to be compatible with the old context
publications macros as well as the base tex definition of \year,
and I guess it is no longer safe to change the names now. I bit
of a mistake, in hindsight. :-(

> As for  the vertical spacing problem: depending on the font and the
> settings for interlinespace, it is more or less visible. To see a
> really clear case, try setting the interlinespace to something really
> big like 5ex, then you can see that space within the entries is  regular
> while space between entries is somewhat smaller.

Not over here. with \showgrid on, everything is precisely lined up.
That's why I really need an example of what you are doing.

Cheers, Taco

* Re: Beta bib module release
@ 2005-09-30  7:16         ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2005-09-30  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco,

one more question: \completepublications produces a title
"References" and formats it according to the chapter-heading, but
doesn't write it to the list for the TOC, or am I missing something?

Best

Thomas

* Re: Beta bib module release
@ 2005-09-30 12:39           ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-09-30 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi again,

There is a new beta:

   http://tex.aanhet.net/bib/m-bib-beta-20050930.zip

with the following changes:

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>> OK, I experimented a bit here, and I think I've narrowed it down: as
>> soon as I set the option numbering=bib in \setuppublications, the
>> distortions becomes really visible. Does the bibmodule calculate its
>> lines with code from the \itemize environment? Could this be where  the
>> bug lies?

Found it. It's a buglet in the default \placelist actions. Fixed.

>> So I get something like Hoekwater (2005) or Hoekwater [10]. Now what
>> would be great is if it were possible to add a page reference and get
>> something like Hoekwater (2005, 99) or Hoekwater [10, 99]. But if I say
>> \cite[right={, 10}][hoekwater], this will effectively replace what I

I've added \cite[extras={, 10}][hoekwater]
(note: the keyword "extras" only works in \cite, not in \setupcite)

For the other email:
> one more question: \completepublications produces a title  "References"
> and formats it according to the chapter-heading, but  doesn't write it
> to the list for the TOC, or am I missing something?

\completepublications is just a basic \completelist within a
slightly changed environment, so it behaves just like a "normal"
ConTeXT list. I'm not sure if it can be made to appear in the TOC,
but I am quite confident that

	\chapter{References}
	\placepublications

will work as desired.

Cheers, Taco

* Re: Beta bib module release
@ 2005-09-30 14:22             ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2005-09-30 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco, you're my hero!!!

On Sep 30, 2005, at 2:39 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> There is a new beta:
>
>   http://tex.aanhet.net/bib/m-bib-beta-20050930.zip
>
> with the following changes:
>

> Found it. It's a buglet in the default \placelist actions. Fixed.

Absolutely! Output is perfectly aligned now!

> I've added \cite[extras={, 10}][hoekwater]
> (note: the keyword "extras" only works in \cite, not in \setupcite)

I hardly dare to tell you, but it's not working here;
\cite[extras={, 10}][hoekwater] produces ][99
(and the , 10 is dropped).

> \completepublications is just a basic \completelist within a
> slightly changed environment, so it behaves just like a "normal"
> ConTeXT list. I'm not sure if it can be made to appear in the TOC,
> but I am quite confident that
>
>     \chapter{References}
>     \placepublications
>
> will work as desired.

Indeed, this works wonderfully!

Thanks so much Taco, I owe you one. Let me know if you ever come to
Bonn or Mannheim, and I'll buy you several beers!

Best

Thomas

* Re: Beta bib module release
@ 2005-09-30 14:41               ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-09-30 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

>> I've added \cite[extras={, 10}][hoekwater]
>> (note: the keyword "extras" only works in \cite, not in \setupcite)
>>

> I hardly dare to tell you, but it's not working here;
> \cite[extras={, 10}][hoekwater] produces ][99
> (and the , 10 is dropped).

My bad. You can fix this yourself if you want. Open t-bib.tex
in an editor and change lines 839 and 841 so they read:

   \edef\LOextras{{\LOextras\bibalternative\c!right}}%

and

   \edef\LOextras{{\LOextras\LOright}}%

that is: an extra pair of braces is needed inside the \edef.

(I'll update the zip file as well)

> Indeed, this works wonderfully!
>
> Thanks so much Taco, I owe you one. Let me know if you ever come to

You're welcome. I am actually quite enjoying myself while doing this
stuff.

Cheers, Taco

* Re: Beta bib module release
@ 2005-09-30 15:24                 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2005-09-30 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sep 30, 2005, at 4:41 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> that is: an extra pair of braces is needed inside the \edef.

Hooray, now it works!

> You're welcome. I am actually quite enjoying myself while doing this
> stuff.

Glad to hear that. I'll buy you a bear nonetheless...

Thanks, and best

Thomas

* Re: Beta bib module release
@ 2005-10-01  8:04                   ` Christopher Creutzig
From: Christopher Creutzig @ 2005-10-01  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> On Sep 30, 2005, at 4:41 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

>> You're welcome. I am actually quite enjoying myself while doing this
>> stuff.
>

> Glad to hear that. I'll buy you a bear nonetheless...

 Taco is running a zoo?  ;-}

Christopher

* Re: Beta bib module release
@ 2005-10-01  8:37                     ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2005-10-01  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry, I meant a beard... no no, wait that was a deer uhmm