* MkII synonyms additional space problem
@ 2009-04-16 10:50 Thomas Floeren
From: Thomas Floeren @ 2009-04-16 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,

I have a problem with synonyms in recent context betas:

At the first occurrence of a synonym in a document there is an additional horizontal white space in front of the synonym.

The space does not show up in further occurrences.

Minimal:

% coding: utf-8
\enableregime[utf]

\definesynonyms[testAbbrev][testAbbrevs][\infull]
%\setupsynonyms[testAbbrev][next=\autoinsertnextspace]
\testAbbrev[abs]{\sc abs}{Antiblockiersystem}

\starttext

Ausfall des \abs\ und \endgraf % +1 space
Ausfall des \abs\ und          % OK

%Ausfall des \infull{abs} (\abs) \endgraf %% same behavior
%Ausfall des \infull{abs} (\abs)          %% same behavior

\page

Ausfall des \abs\ und \endgraf % OK
Ausfall des \abs\ und          % OK

\stoptext

ConTeXt  ver: 2009.04.15 12:15 MKII  fmt: 2009.4.16  int: english/english

Same thing with the version from 13.4.2009.
contextlive (2009.03.06) however does not show the problem.

Is there any solution around?

Thanks in advance

Thomas

* Re: MkII synonyms additional space problem
@ 2009-04-16 11:14 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2009-04-16 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Thomas,

I tested your example: indeed in the latest mkii the problem you
mention appears (however it doesn't in the latest mkiv, nor in mkii
ConTeXt  ver: 2009.01.18 14:39 MKII  fmt: 2009.2.19  int: english/
english).

A temporary solution (not in the spirit of ConTeXt though…) is the
following: add a \vphantom before the first occurence of the synonim,
that is
\vphantom{\abs}
assuming that \abs is already defined: rewriting your example one gets:

\definesynonyms[testAbbrev][testAbbrevs][\infull]
%\setupsynonyms[testAbbrev][next=\autoinsertnextspace]
\testAbbrev[abs]{\sc abs}{Antiblockiersystem}

\starttext
This is a test.\vphantom{\abs}
Ausfall des \abs\ und \endgraf % +1 space
Ausfall des \abs\ und          % OK

Ausfall des \infull{abs} (\abs) \endgraf %% same behavior
Ausfall des \infull{abs} (\abs)          %% same behavior

\page

Ausfall des \abs\ und \endgraf % OK
Ausfall des \abs\ und          % OK

\stoptext

Best regards: OK

@ 2009-04-16 13:44   ` Thomas Floeren
From: Thomas Floeren @ 2009-04-16 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the phantom hint!

I made a macro that I'll put at the beginning of each component file, after
the chapter header:
\def\synCorr{\vphantom{<all synonym macros go here>}\vskip-\lineheight}

I think this will do it for the moment.

Thanks and Greetings
Thomas

Otared Kavian <mailto:otared@gmail.com> scribbled on Thursday, April 16, 2009
1:14 PM:

@ 2009-04-16 14:05     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-04-16 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas Floeren wrote:
> Thanks for the phantom hint!
>
> I made a macro that I'll put at the beginning of each component file, after
> the chapter header:
> \def\synCorr{\vphantom{<all synonym macros go here>}\vskip-\lineheight}
>
> I think this will do it for the moment.

it's fixed in the beta

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-04-16 18:35       ` Thomas Floeren
From: Thomas Floeren @ 2009-04-16 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is really great.
Thanks!

I'm aware that actually the MkII probs must be a paine in the ass, as
youre quite heavily working on the MkIV.
I will change to MkIV as soon as possible, but for the moment I have
to produce and I have a deadline (30.4.), so MkII is my choice ;) Hope
you understand this.

Greetings
and Thanks for the great support on this list.

Thomas

@ 2009-04-16 19:29       ` Thomas Floeren
From: Thomas Floeren @ 2009-04-16 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is great!

Thanks for having it integrated into the beta.

And generally spoken  a thousand thanks (ok, maybe a few hundreds) to
all the contributing people on this list, which has become my primary
source of ... thinking further. :)
and of course of information of any kind:)

Greets
Tomas

@ 2009-04-16 20:34         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-04-16 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas Floeren wrote:
> This is really great.
> Thanks!
>
> I'm aware that actually the MkII probs must be a paine in the ass, as
> youre quite heavily working on the MkIV.

actually the space was introduced recently when i removed the mkiv code

some files come as .tex .mkii and mkiv where the later two hook into the
first one

however, since we split the code base more drastically some of these are
kind of reverted e.g. core-syn.mkii/mkiv was removed and the mkii code
merged back in core-syn.tex; in mkiv synonyms are managed differently
and part of the strc-* modules

> I will change to MkIV as soon as possible, but for the moment I have to
> produce and I have a deadline (30.4.), so MkII is my choice ;) Hope you
> understand this.

no problem; mkii will be around for a long time

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE