* labels and new structure code
@ 2009-06-04 14:46 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2009-06-04 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing ConTeXt users list for

Hi all, Hans,

here is a bug that remains with the new structure code after Hans
fixed many things two weeks ago. I want a counter that is reset at
every odd chapter. This works as expected in mkii (and used to work in
mkiv), but complains about a "Missing number, treated as zero" and
fails to compile in current beta:

\setupcolors[state=start]

\setuphead
    [section]
    [command={{\determineheadnumber[section]}\ifodd\currentheadnumber
\resetSlideNumber\incrementSlideNumber \else\incrementSlideNumber \fi},
     expansion=yes]

\definelabel[SlideNumber][headstyle=normal,way=bytext]

\define\SLN{\color[red]{ [\nextSlideNumber]}}

\starttext

\section{One}

should be 2: \SLN

\section{Two}

should be 4: \SLN

\section{Three}

should be 2 again: \SLN

\section{Four}

should be 4 again: \SLN

\stoptext

Even if you comment out the command=... line, you'll see that labels
in mkiv still don't quite do what they should.

All best

Thomas

* Re: labels and new structure code
@ 2009-06-07 12:12 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-06-07 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> Hi all, Hans,
>
> here is a bug that remains with the new structure code after Hans fixed
> many things two weeks ago. I want a counter that is reset at every odd
> chapter. This works as expected in mkii (and used to work in mkiv), but
> complains about a "Missing number, treated as zero" and fails to compile
> in current beta:

ok, fixed in the beta

the problem is that the old code was somewhat crippled as it uses this
two step method (determine and usage) due to expansion issues

in the current beta mkiv code we can do:

\setuphead
    [section]
    [after=\setups{section:after},
     expansion=yes]

\startsetups section:after
     \ifodd\namedheadnumber{section}\relax
        \resetSlideNumber\incrementSlideNumber
     \else
        \incrementSlideNumber
     \fi
     \blank
\stopsetups

btw, you misuse 'command' which in turn has side effects; use after instead

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-06-07 12:51   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2009-06-07 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 7, 2009, at 2:12 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> ok, fixed in the beta
>
> the problem is that the old code was somewhat crippled as it uses
> this two step method (determine and usage) due to expansion issues
>
> in the current beta mkiv code we can do:
>
> \setuphead
>   [section]
>   [after=\setups{section:after},
>    expansion=yes]
>
> \startsetups section:after
>    \ifodd\namedheadnumber{section}\relax
>       \resetSlideNumber\incrementSlideNumber
>    \else
>       \incrementSlideNumber
>    \fi
>    \blank
> \stopsetups
>
> btw, you misuse 'command' which in turn has side effects; use after
> instead

OK, thanks a lot Hans! Have replaced "command" with "after"; now my
test document compiles cleanly. Two questions though: \nextSlideNumber
used to simply expand to "2" "3" etc. Now I get "SlideNumber 1.2"
"SlideNumber 1.3." How can I get the old behavior back? And: I'm doing
this in xml documents, and here, the counter is not reset. I assume
you want a new example document :-)

@ 2009-06-07 13:04     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-06-07 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> On Jun 7, 2009, at 2:12 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> ok, fixed in the beta
>>
>> the problem is that the old code was somewhat crippled as it uses this
>> two step method (determine and usage) due to expansion issues
>>
>> in the current beta mkiv code we can do:
>>
>> \setuphead
>>   [section]
>>   [after=\setups{section:after},
>>    expansion=yes]
>>
>> \startsetups section:after
>>    \ifodd\namedheadnumber{section}\relax
>>       \resetSlideNumber\incrementSlideNumber
>>    \else
>>       \incrementSlideNumber
>>    \fi
>>    \blank
>> \stopsetups
>>
>> btw, you misuse 'command' which in turn has side effects; use after
>> instead
>
> OK, thanks a lot Hans! Have replaced "command" with "after"; now my test
> document compiles cleanly. Two questions though: \nextSlideNumber used
> to simply expand to "2" "3" etc. Now I get "SlideNumber 1.2"
> "SlideNumber 1.3." How can I get the old behavior back? And: I'm doing
> this in xml documents, and here, the counter is not reset. I assume you
> want a new example document :-)

yeah

you need to reset the prefix, like prefix=no ; depends a bit on your
definition

(i need to figure out a proper default scheme for a whole doc which is
kind of tricky since we have more control now)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-06-07 20:08       ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2009-06-07 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 7, 2009, at 3:04 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> yeah
>
> you need to reset the prefix, like prefix=no ; depends a bit on your
> definition
>
> (i need to figure out a proper default scheme for a whole doc which
> is kind of tricky since we have more control now)

Oops, I am sorry, resetting the counter works in my xml files as well;
I had a second after= assignment which confused ConteXt. It's almost
perfect, but there's a spurious space creeping in somewhere. Reusing
my old example:

\startsetups section:after
    \ifodd\namedheadnumber{section}\relax
       \resetSlideNumber\incrementSlideNumber
    \else
       \incrementSlideNumber
    \fi
    \blank[0*line]
\stopsetups

\setuphead
    [section]
    [after=\setups{section:after},
     page=yes,
     expansion=yes,
     before={\blank[0*big]}]

\definelabel[SlideNumber][headstyle=normal,way=bytext,prefix=no,text=]

\define\SLN{\color[red]{[\nextSlideNumber]}}

\starttext

\section{One}

should be 2: \SLN

\section{Two}