* place figures at the end of document
@ 2008-01-18 16:36 Peter I. Hansen
From: Peter I. Hansen @ 2008-01-18 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a way in ConTeXt to place figures (and other floats) at the
very end of the document?

More specifically I would like to keep on having to placefigure code
at the relevant place in the text where I would normally typeset with
the option [here], but sometimes readers want all figures moved to the
end of the document and it would be handy if this could be done by
changing a keyword.

thanks, Peter

* Re: place figures at the end of document
@ 2008-01-18 19:56 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-01-18 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 17:36:26 +0100
"Peter I. Hansen" <peterih@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way in ConTeXt to place figures (and other floats) at the
> very end of the document?
>
> More specifically I would like to keep on having to placefigure code
> at the relevant place in the text where I would normally typeset with
> the option [here], but sometimes readers want all figures moved to the
> end of the document and it would be handy if this could be done by
> changing a keyword.
>
> thanks, Peter

Interesting but very hard topic, I found a solution but it did only
work for a few pictures.

\unprotect

\installfloathandler {save} \somesavefloat

\def\placesomesavefloat{\OTRcommand\somesavefloat}

%\def\somesavefloat[#1]{\dosavefloat}
\def\somesavefloat{\placesomesavefloat}

\def\somesavefloat[#1]%
  {\global\setbox\floatlist\vbox
     {\nointerlineskip
      \unvbox\floatlist
      \uncenteredfloatbox}}

%\def\OTRONEsomesavefloat[#1]{\savefloat}
\def\OTRONEsomesavefloat[#1]{\setbox\floatbox\vbox{\box\floatbox}}

\def\placesavedfloats{\box\floatlist}

%\def\placesavedfloats
%  {\loop\ifdim\ht\floatlist>0pt
%     \vsplit\floatlist to\lineheight
%   \repeat}

\protect

\starttext

\dorecurse{4} % 5 and more did fail
  {\input knuth\par
   \expanded{\placefigure[save]{Figure \recurselevel}{\blackrule[width=6cm,height=4cm]}}}

\page

\placesavedfloats

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: place figures at the end of document
@ 2008-01-19 18:59 ` Carsten Fechtmann
From: Carsten Fechtmann @ 2008-01-19 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Peter,

please be aware that I am still a ConTeXt newbie, therefore, I am not
sure if this is really the way things "should" be done, only that it
seems to work with up to a 999 figures (tested) and probably more ;-)

Nonetheless, the following code probably does the trick you were
looking for....

It has the further benefit that only those figures with the option
[list] will go to the list and that you can do all the other tricks
with this list of figures that you can do with any sort of list.
Unfortunately you have to change all \placefigure to \PlaceFigure (or
some other name of your choosing for this macro)

Cheers
Carsten

%------ setting things up ---------
\definesorting[Figure][Figures]
\setupsorting[Figure][criterium=all]

\newcounter\FigureCounter

\def\PlaceFigure{\dodoubleempty\doPlaceFigure}
\def\doPlaceFigure[#1][#2]#3#4{
	\ifsecondargument
		\doifsamestringelse{#1}{list}{
			\expanded{\Figure[\FigureCounter]{\noexpand\placefigure[#2]{#3}
{{#4}} }}
			\increment\FigureCounter
		}{
			\placefigure[#1][#2]{#3}{#4}
		}
	\else
		\placefigure[#2]{#3}{#4}
	\fi
}
%------ the actual "text" ---------
\starttext

\dorecurse{100}{
	\PlaceFigure[here][fig:\recurselevel]{Blackbox in text at level
\recurselevel}{\blackrule[width=6cm,height=4cm]}
	\input knuth\par
	\PlaceFigure[list][fig:\recurselevel]{Blackbox in list at level
\recurselevel}{\blackrule[width=6cm,height=4cm]}
}
\page
\placelistofFigures

\stoptext