* Grid typesetting
@ 2010-10-22 19:59 Andrzej Orłowski-Skoczyk
From: Andrzej Orłowski-Skoczyk @ 2010-10-22 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Contexters

I've been typesetting (mainly books and reports) in LaTeX for ca 15 years now. Recently I got really fed up with various problems related to typesetting on grid in LaTeX, and this is how I learned about ConTeXt. You can't imagine how excited I was when I started reading about it, especially given my recent grid-related LaTeX frustrations. Now I'm past all the ConTeXt manuals available in English, but still with no practical experience. ConTeXt is still a wild animal to be tamed, for me, but with a lot of sex appeal.

So - it's grid that attracted me. But I can't get it - the grid - in my test document. I find it hard to understand what the below commands (which are hardly documented) do:
- placeongrid,
- moveongrid,
- start/stop|linecorrection
and how is "framed" related to them. I experimented with various settings/combinations of the above, but none seem to actually FORCE my content on the grid.
The explanation in the manual is not clear for me, there is no explanation in the Wikia.

What I need is a way to FORCE a line of text onto nearest grid line available (so that baselines match), for example:
- on page opening a chapter, so that all body text is forced on grid regardless of the amount of space taken by headers etc.,
- on any page, when the text is being interrupted by figures, tables, formulas or fancy breaks.
Is there an easy way to accomplish that? By 'easy' I mean other than manual setting the height of headers/figures/tables/formulas/fancy breaks so that following text sits on the grid (which is more or less also doable in LaTeX).

Thank you.
--
Andrzej Orłowski-Skoczyk

* Re: Grid typesetting
@ 2010-10-23  4:18 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-10-23  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 22.10.2010 um 21:59 schrieb Andrzej Orłowski-Skoczyk:

> Hello Contexters
>
> I've been typesetting (mainly books and reports) in LaTeX for ca 15 years now. Recently I got really fed up with various problems related to typesetting on grid in LaTeX, and this is how I learned about ConTeXt. You can't imagine how excited I was when I started reading about it, especially given my recent grid-related LaTeX frustrations. Now I'm past all the ConTeXt manuals available in English, but still with no practical experience. ConTeXt is still a wild animal to be tamed, for me, but with a lot of sex appeal.
>
> So - it's grid that attracted me. But I can't get it - the grid - in my test document. I find it hard to understand what the below commands (which are hardly documented) do:
> - placeongrid,
> - moveongrid,
> - start/stop|linecorrection
> and how is "framed" related to them. I experimented with various settings/combinations of the above, but none seem to actually FORCE my content on the grid.
> The explanation in the manual is not clear for me, there is no explanation in the Wikia.
>
> What I need is a way to FORCE a line of text onto nearest grid line available (so that baselines match), for example:
> - on page opening a chapter, so that all body text is forced on grid regardless of the amount of space taken by headers etc.,
> - on any page, when the text is being interrupted by figures, tables, formulas or fancy breaks.
> Is there an easy way to accomplish that? By 'easy' I mean other than manual setting the height of headers/figures/tables/formulas/fancy breaks so that following text sits on the grid (which is more or less also doable in LaTeX).

\setuplayout[grid=yes]
%\showgrid
\starttext
\title{Example texts}
\subject{Knuth}
\input knuth
\subject{Tufte}
\input tufte
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Grid typesetting
@ 2010-10-30 19:42   ` Andrzej Orłowski-Skoczyk
From: Andrzej Orłowski-Skoczyk @ 2010-10-30 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/23/2010 06:18 AM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> \setuplayout[grid=yes]
> %\showgrid
> \starttext
> \title{Example texts}
> \subject{Knuth}
> \input knuth
> \subject{Tufte}
> \input tufte
> \stoptext

Thank you very much. It worked.

This puzzled me a lot, as seemingly the same setup refused to work in my
document. Then I started to delete other preamble content step by step,
and the grid still didn't work after I removed all of it. Then I found
out that the "grid" option was not being read at all, because there was
a space character before the comma. My setuplayout looked like that:
\setuplayout[%%
	width=105mm ,%%
	height=162mm ,%%
	backspace=20mm ,%%
	topspace=18mm ,%%
	header=0pt ,%%
	footerdistance=5mm ,%%
	footer=5mm ,%%
	marking=off ,%%
	location=doublesided,%%
	veroffset=5mm ,%%
	grid=yes ,%% <<space character ruins the option
	margin=15mm ,%%
	%top=5mm ,%%
]%%

When can I use a space like that, and I can't? I found out that also
some other options can't be followed by a space. Why is that?
--
Andrzej Orłowski-Skoczyk

* Re: Grid typesetting
@ 2010-10-31  4:28     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-10-31  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 30.10.2010 um 21:42 schrieb Andrzej Orłowski-Skoczyk:

> On 10/23/2010 06:18 AM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> \setuplayout[grid=yes]
>> %\showgrid
>> \starttext
>> \title{Example texts}
>> \subject{Knuth}
>> \input knuth
>> \subject{Tufte}
>> \input tufte
>> \stoptext
>
> Thank you very much. It worked.
>
> This puzzled me a lot, as seemingly the same setup refused to work in my
> document. Then I started to delete other preamble content step by step,
> and the grid still didn't work after I removed all of it. Then I found
> out that the "grid" option was not being read at all, because there was
> a space character before the comma. My setuplayout looked like that:
> \setuplayout[%%
> 	width=105mm ,%%
> 	height=162mm ,%%
> 	backspace=20mm ,%%
> 	topspace=18mm ,%%
> 	header=0pt ,%%
> 	footerdistance=5mm ,%%
> 	footer=5mm ,%%
> 	marking=off ,%%
> 	location=doublesided,%%
> 	veroffset=5mm ,%%
> 	grid=yes ,%% <<space character ruins the option
> 	margin=15mm ,%%
> 	%top=5mm ,%%
> ]%%
>
> When can I use a space like that, and I can't? I found out that also
> some other options can't be followed by a space. Why is that?

Space are only allowed before keys, in all other places a space is either a space in the key or the value itself, in your case it works with the dimensions because they are passed to normal tex dimension but never rely on this.

Wolfgang