* lmtx
@ 2022-02-03 21:00 Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-02-03 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

There haven't been updates and the reason is that we're in the middle of
math and/or wrapping up on transliteration / indic (for which there is
also a nice wiki page being made).

Concerning math, we're progressing with some rather flexible spacing,
penalty, linebreak extensions but don't want to risk that when not used
it gives different results (probably not all can be completely
compatible but that is a side effect of getting rid of some hard coded
assumptions in the engine). One objective is to make input a bit easier
and predictable, esp wrt the often needed correction spacing (\, and
friends).

Anyway, in addition to Mikaels request for input an while ago ... if
there are 'tex math annoyances' that you think originate in the way tex
expects input, and you'd like them to be taken into account, let us know.

Hans

* lmtx
@ 2021-02-19 12:32 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2021-02-19 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

In the last couple of lmtx uploads \startTEXpage should work a bit
better. These uploads also introduced a new option for alignments, which
can be checked in:

\def\DemoA#1{\vbox{\red                      \hsize#1\input tufte }}
\def\DemoB#1{\vbox{\green \setupalign[always]\hsize#1\input tufte }}
\def\DemoC#1{\startTEXpage[offset=10pt]\DemoA{#1pt}\blank\DemoB{#1pt}\blank#1pt\stopTEXpage}

\starttext

     \dostepwiserecurse{300}{600}{10}{
         \startTEXpage[offset=10pt]
             \startoverlay
                 {\DemoA{#1pt}}
                 {\DemoB{#1pt}}
             \stopoverlay
             \blank
             \the\dimexpr#1pt\relax
         \stopTEXpage
     }

     \DemoC{370} \DemoC{390} \DemoC{490} \DemoC{540} \DemoC{580}

\stoptext

I leave it to users to determine if the few cases where the results
differ are better or worse but one can for instance use it to influence
(as side effect) the last line. In general, tweaking the machinery can
give different results and i guess that hardly any user can make
consistent claims about what is better. It all depends on what one deals
with.

(The keyword is suboptimal, it kind of tells what happens but on the
other obscurew what really goes on: always forcing a first hyphenation
pass when breaking lines.)

Hans

* Re: lmtx
@ 2021-01-19 23:03   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2021-01-19 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/19/2021 8:12 PM, Jan U. Hasecke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am afraid that clip stops working in
>
> current version: 2021.01.18 18:19
>

> \setupexternalfigure[location=default]
> \showframe
> \starttext
> \clip[height=50mm,voffset=10mm]
>       {\externalfigure[cow.pdf][width=\textwidth]}
> \stoptext
hm, i access the wrong field (i removed some longer intermediate backend
code)

Hans

* Re: lmtx
@ 2021-01-19 19:12 ` Jan U. Hasecke
From: Jan U. Hasecke @ 2021-01-19 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

I am afraid that clip stops working in

current version: 2021.01.18 18:19

\setupexternalfigure[location=default]
\showframe
\starttext
\clip[height=50mm,voffset=10mm]
     {\externalfigure[cow.pdf][width=\textwidth]}
\stoptext

juh

--
Autoren-Homepage: ......... http://literatur.hasecke.com
Satiren & Essays: ......... http://www.sudelbuch.de

* Re: lmtx
@ 2021-01-19 11:31     ` Jano Kula
From: Jano Kula @ 2021-01-19 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 at 12:11, Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On 1/19/2021 11:57 AM, Floris van Manen wrote:
> >

> > On 18/01/2021 19:20, Hans Hagen wrote:
> >> You can run
> >>
> >>    meta-imp-punk.mkxl
> >>
> >> to get an idea. There's also a typescript:
> >>
> >>    type-imp-punk.mkxl
> >

> > How to run these?
> Normally with:
>
> context --global <that filename>

when file has \continueifinputfile{<file>} line. Below the command there is
an example. Didn't know the --global switch. It searches the file in the
distribution, but runs it in any actual folder, so one doesn't have to do a
local copy of the source file.

type-imp-punk.mkxl is a regular typescript file, which can be enabled by
\setupbodyfont[punk] in any of your documents.

Jano

* Re: lmtx
@ 2021-01-19 11:10   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2021-01-19 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2021-01-19 10:57 ` Floris van Manen
From: Floris van Manen @ 2021-01-19 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 18/01/2021 19:20, Hans Hagen wrote:
> You can run
>
>    meta-imp-punk.mkxl
>
> to get an idea. There's also a typescript:
>
>    type-imp-punk.mkxl

How to run these?

.F

* lmtx
@ 2021-01-18 18:20 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2021-01-18 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

There's a new lmtx upload with a few fixes in publication lists (TS made
some tests).

For those who like fonts, there is an update of the punk font (the mkiv
variants dates from 2008 which is ancient on a software timeline).

You can run

   meta-imp-punk.mkxl

to get an idea. There's also a typescript:

   type-imp-punk.mkxl

one can create different versions and play with random variants and
such. The question is: do we need more metapost font magic and
infrastructure?

For "pdf features that browsers implement fuzzy or not at all" lovers
there is

test
     \startalternate[text={A}]
         \dorecurse{10}{A }
         \startalternate[text={B}]
              \dorecurse{10}{B }
         \stopalternate
          \dorecurse{10}{A }
     \stopalternate
test \par

test \startalternate[text={e=mc^2}]!$e=mc^2$\stopalternate\par
test \alternate{e=mc^2}{copy:}\nbsp$e=mc^2$\par

which cheats on cut and paste (if you know where to click). (It actually
will replace something more low level which is probably not used
anyway.)

Hans

* Re: lmtx
@ 2020-11-02 19:43   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-11-02 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/31/2020 3:50 AM, Jairo A. del Rio wrote:
> Hi, Hans. The last release is considerably faster for smaller documents
> (for larger documents differences seem to be neglectable). Thank you for
> such an improvement. However, something is wrong with one manual:
> luametatex manual won't compile:
Compiles ok here so i'm puzzled. I'll update a new version in a few
days anyway.

About performance. As you mention small document, it's probably the
startup time but I'm not sure if i did things that should have a large
impact (apart from again a smaller format file) but maybe it's a
accumulation of small improvements. About large files .. do you have any
idea where tex spends the time on your documents? Of course there is
much lua involved and performance of lua oscillates a bit with versions.
The tex code is already quite optimal (and variants i played with hardly
put a dent in performance). But anyway, it would be nice if users could
indicate where they think bottlenecks are.

Hans

* Re: lmtx
@ 2020-10-31  2:50 ` Jairo A. del Rio
From: Jairo A. del Rio @ 2020-10-31  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Hans. The last release is considerably faster for smaller documents
(for larger documents differences seem to be neglectable). Thank you for
such an improvement. However, something is wrong with one manual:
luametatex manual won't compile:

156     Beware: the values are always saved in the format, independent of
the setting
157     of \prm {savinghyphcodes} at the moment the format is dumped.
158
159     A boundary node normally would mark the end of a word which
interferes with for
160     instance discretionary injection. For this you can use the \prm
{wordboundary}
161     as a trigger. Here are a few examples of usage:
162
163     \startbuffer
164         discrete---discrete
165     \stopbuffer
166 >>  \typebuffer \startnarrower \dontcomplain \hsize 1pt \getbuffer \par
\stopnarrower
167     \startbuffer
168         discrete\discretionary{}{}{---}discrete
169     \stopbuffer
170     \typebuffer \startnarrower \dontcomplain \hsize 1pt \getbuffer \par
\stopnarrower
171     \startbuffer
172         discrete\wordboundary\discretionary{}{}{---}discrete
173     \stopbuffer
174     \typebuffer \startnarrower \dontcomplain \hsize 1pt \getbuffer \par
\stopnarrower
175     \startbuffer
176         discrete\wordboundary\discretionary{}{}{---}\wordboundary
discrete

A number should have been here; I inserted '0'. (If you can't figure out
why I
needed to see a number, look up 'weird error' in the index to The TeXbook.)

The prepackaged PDF manual is also broken: an error banner.

Regards,

Jairo :)

El vie., 30 de oct. de 2020 a la(s) 17:29, Hans Hagen (j.hagen@xs4all.nl)
escribió:

> Hi,
>
> I might have uploaded a new version by accident so be careful when you
> update. Make a backup first. Sorry,
>
> The test suite compiles, which doesn't day all is ok as i just run it.
>
> There are no funcional changes, only a bit of conceptual reworking of
> some internals in the process of adapting to new features as well as
> protection, so
>
>    \starttext
>
>        \start
>            \def\framed{oeps}
>        \stop
>
>    \stoptext
>
> is permitted, but when you run with
>
>    context --overloadmode=warning
>
> you get a warning and with
>
>    context --overloadmode=error
>
> the run aborts. Here is a user macro example:
>
>    \frozen    \def\foo{oeps}
>               \def\foo{oeps} % warning or error
>    \overloaded\def\foo{oeps} % okay
>
> eventually all system macros will be way more protected, being
> primitive, permanent, immutable to mention some of the possible
> properties. It's work in progress as you can imagine some pitfals and in
> order for it to work well quite some has to be flagged. Also, I have to
> play with some related additions.
>
> (This version also makes more extensive use of some new macro features
> but that's for later.)
>
> Hans

* lmtx
@ 2020-10-30 22:29 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-10-30 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2020-06-19 10:11 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-06-19 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here's an update about what Wolfgang and I are doing in the lmtx code
base i.e. where it differs from the mkiv code. Much has to do with
cleaner code, less memory usage and less tracing clutter. To some extend
it might be more efficient in terms of runtime, but in practice there is
not much (measurable) to gain at the macro level wrt speed. Most
bottlenecks are at the Lua end anyway.

(1) macro arguments:

In tex a macro argument is defined with numbers, so

   \def\foo#1#2{... #2 ... #2 ...}

in luametatex we can have some variants

   #0 : the argument is picked up but not stored
   #- : the argument is ignored and not even counted
   #+ : the argument is picked up but no outer braces are removed

There is some explanation in the evenmore document, like:

   \def\foo    [#1]{\detokenize{#1}}
   \def\ofo    [#0]{\detokenize{#1}}
   \def\oof    [#+]{\detokenize{#1}}
   \def\fof[#1#-#2]{\detokenize{#1#2}}
   \def\fff[#1#0#3]{\detokenize{#1#3}}

   \meaning\foo\ : <\foo[{123}]> \crlf
   \meaning\ofo\ : <\ofo[{123}]> \crlf
   \meaning\oof\ : <\oof[{123}]> \crlf
   \meaning\fof\ : <\fof[123]>   \crlf
   \meaning\fff\ : <\fof[123]>   \crlf

I mention this because you may encounter something other than #1 .. #9
in error reports or tracing.

(2) interception of unmatched delimiters

If you define macros like

   \def\foo[#1=#2]{...}

the brackets and equal had better be there. However there is some
trickery in the macro parsing that can be used to intercept cases where
they are missing: optional tokens as well as forcing end of scanning (so
if you see \ignorearguments and \ifarguments in the code, that is what
we're talking about: premature quitting and checking why that happened
and acting upon it: less hackery is needed but then of course also less
possibility to 'show off how clever one is wrt writing obscure macros'
... so be it.

Both (1) and (2) are relatively lightweight extensions that are downward
compatible as well as have no impact on performance. We don't expect
them to be used at the user level (where one seldom defines macros
anyway) but we apply them in some low level macros (and might apply them
more). One can measure better performance but only when applied millions
of times which is seldom the case in context (we're often more talking
thousands there than millions of expansions).

(3) There is some more 'matching token sequences' code that is being
applied stepwise but again this is normally not seen at the user level.
It sometimes permits cleaner fully expandable solutions.

(4) There are some additional if tests but these are already around for
quite a while and probably went unnoticed anyway.

(5) Nested conditions can be flattened by using \orelse and that's what
happens now in quite some places in the lmtx code (it's already there
for a quite a while and kind of well tested). Again this leads to less
tracing, can in priniciple be more efficient, but also demands less
multiple expand after situations. It also just looks nicer.

(6) Upcoming code can use some more (simplified) grouping magic but that
is something we need to test more (which is what we are doing now).

Just that you know when you get some error and see unfamiliar primitives,

Hans

* Re: lmtx
       [not found] <mailman.1.1576234801.28358.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2019-12-13 19:29 ` Jeong Dal
From: Jeong Dal @ 2019-12-13 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: list ntg-context@ntg.nl ntg-context@ntg.nl ntg-context@ntg.nl
	ntg-context@ntg.nl

Dear Otared,

> I updated the wiki page for installing LuaMetaTeX on MacOS:
>
> 	https://wiki.contextgarden.net/installing_luametatex

Thank you for the wiki.
It explains the complicate processes well.

As I wrote in the last mail, I don’t have a problem of installation as before.
At this time, I don’t need to change SIP and the options of Gatekeeper in Mac OSX Catalina.
Since I downloaded “install.sh”, it is inexecutable at the first time.
But it worked well after allowing its running in the preference>security tab once.

I don’t know why there is no problem at all as before. There may be some changes in the new beta.
For test, I installed the new beta once more and confirmed that it is installed well and running well.

However, your description is very useful when “install.sh” needs a permission of execution again and again.

Thank you for your helpful advice again.

Best regards,

Dalyoung

* Re: lmtx
@ 2019-12-13  8:39   ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2019-12-13  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Dalyoung,

I updated the wiki page for installing LuaMetaTeX on MacOS:

	https://wiki.contextgarden.net/installing_luametatex

It would be useful if someone using Linux or Windows could add analogous instructions on that page.

Best regards: OK

> On 13 Dec 2019, at 00:48, Jeong Dal <haksan@me.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Hans,
>
> I downloaded the new beta today.
> It installs files and makes format file well.
> I compiled a test file without any problem.
> Of course, there is a security issue of OSX, but allowing the execution in the preference>security once, it doesn't ask about again.
> I also run a test file containing a new graphic feature of LMTX and I got a nice output.
>
> Thanks!!!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Dalyoung
>
> P.S. Here is a beginning part of log file. I installed new beta in the folder /Users/graph/ConTeXtC/
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> resolvers       | formats | executing runner 'run luametatex format': /Users/graph/ConTeXtC/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin/luametatex --jobname="test" --fmt=/Users/graph/ConTeXtC/tex/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/5fe67e0bfe781ce0dde776fb1556f32e/formats/luametatex/cont-en.fmt --lua=/Users/graph/ConTeXtC/tex/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/5fe67e0bfe781ce0dde776fb1556f32e/formats/luametatex/cont-en.lui cont-yes.mkiv --c:autopdf --c:currentrun=1 --c:fulljobname="/Users/graph/ConTeXtC/test.tex" --c:input="/Users/graph/ConTeXtC/test.tex" --c:kindofrun=1 --c:maxnofruns=9 --c:purgeall --c:texmfbinpath="/Users/graph/ConTeXtC/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin"
> This is LuaMetaTeX, Version 2.03.3
> open source     > level 1, order 1, name 'cont-yes.mkiv'
> system          >
> system          > ConTeXt  ver: 2019.12.06 21:40 MKIV beta  fmt: 2019.12.12  int: english/english
> system          >

* Re: lmtx
       [not found] <mailman.310.1576128525.1207.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2019-12-12 23:48 ` Jeong Dal
From: Jeong Dal @ 2019-12-12 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: list ntg-context@ntg.nl ntg-context@ntg.nl ntg-context@ntg.nl
	ntg-context@ntg.nl

@ 2019-12-12 20:13   ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2019-12-12 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 12/12/19 5:59 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> On 12/12/19 1:37 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> [...]
>> Anyway, hopefully nothing got broken. Peter Rolf and I are updating some
>> of the pdf validation related stuff (additional formats), so that can be
>> in flux.
>
> Hans,
>
> I’m afraid that attachments in MkXL aren’t attached to the PDF document
> (using latest beta from 2019.12.12 13:15).

Hans,

many thanks for your ultra-fast fix in beta from 2019.12.12 19:35.

> BTW, if I try to compile this with MkIV beta from 2019.12.12 13:04, I
> get a crash with the following error:

Many thanks also for this fix.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: lmtx
@ 2019-12-12 16:59 ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2019-12-12 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 12/12/19 1:37 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> [...]
> Anyway, hopefully nothing got broken. Peter Rolf and I are updating some
> of the pdf validation related stuff (additional formats), so that can be
> in flux.

Hans,

I’m afraid that attachments in MkXL aren’t attached to the PDF document
(using latest beta from 2019.12.12 13:15).

    \setuppapersize[A5]
    \showframe
    \setupinteraction[state=start]
    \setupinteractionscreen[option=attachment]
    \starttext
        a\attachment[file=xml-mkiv.pdf]
    \stoptext

BTW, if I try to compile this with MkIV beta from 2019.12.12 13:04, I
get a crash with the following error:

..56f32e/formats/luatex/lpdf-ini-macro.lua:965: pdf.obj(): no "string"
or "file" given

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: lmtx
@ 2019-12-12 10:08   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-12-12 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/12/2019 6:28 AM, Otared Kavian wrote:

> However I would like to ask you to put back into lmtx the nice error messages handling we had in early November: now when there is an error it is impossible to locate it and the file filename-status.html contains nothing (though the colored « error » pdf produced is nice looking…).
> In early November the error messages were very precise and the file filename-status.html was very helpful.

i fixed the html file but it's one or the other: either on the console,
or in that file

* Re: lmtx
@ 2019-12-12  6:36 ` Richard Mahoney | Indica et Buddhica
From: Richard Mahoney | Indica et Buddhica @ 2019-12-12  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you Hans. I've just generated a monograph I'm setting with your
new linux-64 zip. Everything seems just fine, great.

Best, Richard

--
Richard Mahoney | Indica et Buddhica

Littledene  Bay Road  Oxford  NZ
T: +6433121699  M: +64210640216
r.mahoney@indica-et-buddhica.org

https://indica-et-buddhica.org/

From: Otared Kavian @ 2019-12-12  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Actually I did the update with a new install.sh downloaded from Pragma's site, but in fact I got again the older version 2019.12.06 21:40…
So the issues I was reporting concern 2019.12.06 21:40 version.

> On 12 Dec 2019, at 06:28, Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Hans,
>
> Thank you for the new beta. I tested a few things and they work nicely as expected.
>
> However I would like to ask you to put back into lmtx the nice error messages handling we had in early November: now when there is an error it is impossible to locate it and the file filename-status.html contains nothing (though the colored « error » pdf produced is nice looking…).
> In early November the error messages were very precise and the file filename-status.html was very helpful.
>
> There is also an issue in lmtx (since the version 2019.12.06, including the latest) where in some situations using \startitemize... \stopitemize produces some garbled items and some numbered items completely disappear. I could not make a minimal example, but I can send you the PDF which shows the issue.
>
> Many thanks, and best regards: OK
>

>> On 12 Dec 2019, at 01:37, Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The last few days there have been reports about garbled files in the lmtx installation so I did some test oinon a linux machine and indeed there was some issue (I'm not sure what causes it). Anyway, I made new zips so maybe one needs to reinstall (using the installer zip). It installs okay on wsl so probably also on other linuxes.
>>
>> This version (luametatex 2.03.3) has (again) a little smaller mem footprint as I still want it all to perforem ok on relative small devices or vm's and as side effect a bit smaller format file, not that that matters much (compared to general mem usage). There is not much to gain anyway, in terms of memory usage and performance so it's more an occasional challenge than a neccessity I guess.
>>
>> Anyway, hopefully nothing got broken. Peter Rolf and I are updating some of the pdf validation related stuff (additional formats), so that can be in flux.
>>
>> Hans

* Re: lmtx
@ 2019-12-12  5:28 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2019-12-12  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

Thank you for the new beta. I tested a few things and they work nicely as expected.

However I would like to ask you to put back into lmtx the nice error messages handling we had in early November: now when there is an error it is impossible to locate it and the file filename-status.html contains nothing (though the colored « error » pdf produced is nice looking…).
In early November the error messages were very precise and the file filename-status.html was very helpful.

There is also an issue in lmtx (since the version 2019.12.06, including the latest) where in some situations using \startitemize... \stopitemize produces some garbled items and some numbered items completely disappear. I could not make a minimal example, but I can send you the PDF which shows the issue.

Many thanks, and best regards: OK

> On 12 Dec 2019, at 01:37, Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> The last few days there have been reports about garbled files in the lmtx installation so I did some test oinon a linux machine and indeed there was some issue (I'm not sure what causes it). Anyway, I made new zips so maybe one needs to reinstall (using the installer zip). It installs okay on wsl so probably also on other linuxes.
>
> This version (luametatex 2.03.3) has (again) a little smaller mem footprint as I still want it all to perforem ok on relative small devices or vm's and as side effect a bit smaller format file, not that that matters much (compared to general mem usage). There is not much to gain anyway, in terms of memory usage and performance so it's more an occasional challenge than a neccessity I guess.
>
> Anyway, hopefully nothing got broken. Peter Rolf and I are updating some of the pdf validation related stuff (additional formats), so that can be in flux.
>
> Hans

* lmtx
@ 2019-12-12  0:37 Hans Hagen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-12-12  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2019-08-05 12:38 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-08-05 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

As we're progressing with the lmtx project (aka luametatex + context)
the codebase gets adapted a bit. There are a few things that you need to
keep an eye on:

- As we test with lua 5.4 it can be that you need to wipe the
   cache after an update due to differences in byte code. This
   is only needed when you run into issues. At some point there
   might be a split in lua code (for luatex and luametatex) as
   5.2 (luajittex, not evolving), 5.3 (luatex, stable frozen)
   and 5.4 (luametatex, experimental progressing) have a couple
   of different properties that we might want to benefit from.

- The code base gets split in "Mark Four" and "Mark Fourty"
   files. Some of these are permanent, some can be temporary. It
   can for instance relate to features in and experiments with
   the engine. The only convenient way to test things is in
   'real situations' and often issues can be solved fast.

- As we're experimenting with metafun (and luagraph and ...) we
   also explore new interfaces. This results in a different
   codebase but should go unnoticed for existing code. Of course
   metafun 2.0 (hip and modern internet version speak) can bring
   interesting new things in the end.

As usual, happy testing.

Hans

* Re: lmtx
@ 2019-04-02 20:47       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-04-02 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/2/2019 10:30 PM, Henri Menke wrote:

> Hm.  But luatex is released under GPLv2 and I reckon luametatex is based on
> luatex, i.e. it is a derived work which means that you legally *have* to
> publish the source.
i publish when i feel ready to do (i.e. when it meets my quality
criteria) ... arguments like the one above make me actually hate open
source ...

... in case you wonder: we don't make (and never made) money on
lua(meta)tex, in fact all this development has always costs us money,
time, etc, etc, and i won't let whatever license spoil this game that
until now always has been mostly fun and supporting user demand

Hans

* Re: lmtx
@ 2019-04-02 20:30     ` Henri Menke
From: Henri Menke @ 2019-04-02 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/04/19 9:19 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 4/2/2019 10:11 PM, Henri Menke wrote:
>>

>> On 2/04/19 10:05 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> So, for those who hesitate to check out lmtx, here is some information.
>>>
>>> - In order to achieve long term stability context will use a lean and
>>> mean variant of luatex (although for now context will keep running on
>>> luatex too; i might drop support for luajittex). Eventually the source
>>> code will be part of the context distribution so that one can always
>>> compile a binary that matches an archived context version.
>>>
>>> - This version also permits us to experiment (even very extreme) without
>>> interupting the parent program luatex, which is now used by other macro
>>> packages too and therefore needs to be frozen in functionality. Some
>>> features might trickle back into luatex eventually (unless it breaks
>>> compatibility).
>>>
>>> - As a direct effect it means that context does a bit more: creating the
>>> pdf file (already most is done anyway in mkiv), dealing with font
>>> embedding, handling image inclusion, etc. For sure there can be issues
>>> with that but it has run on my machine already for quite a while.
>>>
>>> - It is hard to be conclusive about performance but for instance the
>>> luatex manual processes a bit faster with lmtx as does the test suite. A
>>> gain in performance on very demanding documents is also observed by Alan
>>> and Thomas. Normally one can expect a similar performance. However, the
>>> memory footprint could be a bit smaller.
>>>
>>> - The current somewhat hybrid codebase of context will stepwise be
>>> adapted so that at some point we can start experimenting with some
>>> pending ideas. (Which is why i sometimes answer "later this year".)
>>
>> Where can I find the C sources for the luametatex engine?
> nowhere ... as i mentioned these will become part of the context
> distribution around the ctx meeting (when we also have the compile
> infrastructure ready)

Hm.  But luatex is released under GPLv2 and I reckon luametatex is based on
luatex, i.e. it is a derived work which means that you legally *have* to
publish the source.

> what we offer now is an experimental test release
>
> Hans

* Re: lmtx
@ 2019-04-02 20:19   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-04-02 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2019-04-02 20:11 ` Henri Menke
From: Henri Menke @ 2019-04-02 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2/04/19 10:05 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So, for those who hesitate to check out lmtx, here is some information.
>
> - In order to achieve long term stability context will use a lean and
> mean variant of luatex (although for now context will keep running on
> luatex too; i might drop support for luajittex). Eventually the source
> code will be part of the context distribution so that one can always
> compile a binary that matches an archived context version.
>
> - This version also permits us to experiment (even very extreme) without
> interupting the parent program luatex, which is now used by other macro
> packages too and therefore needs to be frozen in functionality. Some
> features might trickle back into luatex eventually (unless it breaks
> compatibility).
>
> - As a direct effect it means that context does a bit more: creating the
> pdf file (already most is done anyway in mkiv), dealing with font
> embedding, handling image inclusion, etc. For sure there can be issues
> with that but it has run on my machine already for quite a while.
>
> - It is hard to be conclusive about performance but for instance the
> luatex manual processes a bit faster with lmtx as does the test suite. A
> gain in performance on very demanding documents is also observed by Alan
> and Thomas. Normally one can expect a similar performance. However, the
> memory footprint could be a bit smaller.
>
> - The current somewhat hybrid codebase of context will stepwise be
> adapted so that at some point we can start experimenting with some
> pending ideas. (Which is why i sometimes answer "later this year".)

Where can I find the C sources for the luametatex engine?

> Anyway, it might not look like it, but it is a conceptual change in how
> context evolves.
>
> Hans

* Re: lmtx
@ 2019-04-02 19:03 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2019-04-02 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 2 Apr 2019, at 11:05, Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> - It is hard to be conclusive about performance but for instance the luatex manual processes a bit faster with lmtx as does the test suite. A gain in performance on very demanding documents is also observed by Alan and Thomas. Normally one can expect a similar performance. However, the memory footprint could be a bit smaller.

For sure the ConTeXt now loads and initialises a lot faster. With that trivial issue.tex test
file by Arthur I get these timings (after a few ‘warmup’ runs).

MkIV (This is LuaTeX, Version 1.09.3 (TeX Live 2019/dev)):

mkiv lua stats  > stored bytecode data: 444 modules (0.445 sec), 93 tables (0.021 sec), 537 chunks (0.466 sec)
mkiv lua stats  > runtime: 0.888 seconds, 1 processed pages, 1 shipped pages, 1.126 pages/second
system          | total runtime: 1.391 seconds
real	0m1.646s
user	0m1.476s
sys	0m0.115s

LMTX:

mkiv lua stats  > stored bytecode data: 456 modules (0.243 sec), 93 tables (0.016 sec), 549 chunks (0.259 sec)
mkiv lua stats  > runtime: 0.559 seconds, 1 processed pages, 1 shipped pages, 1.789 pages/second
system          | total runtime: 0.655 seconds of 0.725 seconds
real	0m0.731s
user	0m0.601s
sys	0m0.084s

Impressive!