From: Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>
	Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Warning: "nodes: unable to store reference from lua in tex"
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 19:29:12 +0100	[thread overview]

> Hans Hagen schrieb am 26.02.2021 um 18:36:
>> On 2/26/2021 6:01 PM, Lukas/ConTeXt wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> after I renewed ConTeXt MkIV, I started to get the following warning:
>>> "
>>> luatex warning  > nodes: unable to store reference from lua in tex
>>> (repeated more times)
>>> "
>>> This happens when I try to typeset a looo...ong table (by
>>> \start/\stop-tabulate) over several pages.
>>> It used to work OK with a Ctx version several months (or half year) ago.
>>> Is there a simple way to overtake the problem?
>>> MWE:
>>>
>>> ----
>>> \starttext
>>>    \startluacode
>>>      context[[
>>>          \starttabulate[|Tr|]
>>>            \HL
>>>            \NC AABBCC \NC\AR
>>>            \HL[3]
>>> ]]
>>>
>>>      for i = 1, 4000 do
>>>        context.NC(i)
>>>        context.NC()
>>>        context.AR()
>>>      end
>>>
>>>      context[[
>>>        \HL
>>>      \stoptabulate
>>> ]]
>>>    \stopluacode
>>> \stoptext
>>> ----
>> ... lmtx ... no problem, doing 4K or 40K or ..
>

> MkIV only, there is no output for \HL with too many lines (and the
> warning is shown).
>
> \starttext
>
> \starttabulate[|l|]
> \NC xxx \NC\NR
> \HL
> \ntimes{\NC yyy \NC\NR}{4000}
> \stoptabulate
>
> \stoptext
i removed some older (slower / more demanding) code in mkiv and indeed
one can now hit a boundary in luatex ... (i wanted to share critical
code between mkiv and lmtx) .. there are reasons why we go lmtx

btw, one can decide to split up this large table in pieces, after all,
it is generated so one knows the properties

(Thomas has larger tables and so far he didn't complain for lmtx; the
lmtx table code is also faster.)

Hans