* Trouble with using predefined typescript files
@ 2021-06-15  4:56 mastermind_ x
From: mastermind_ x @ 2021-06-15  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello everyone,

I am reading the ConTexT manual’s chapter on Typography. I want to achieve a Palatino-like small font which is bolder than the default provided by ConTeXt like in some math textbooks. So I loaded the typescript files ie type-xxx stated in the chapter in turns no matter the type-xxx I load. I always got this in the log:

fonts           > typescripts > unknown library 'xtx'
fonts           > typescripts > unknown library 'gyr'
selectfont      > the requested font 'palatino' has no files for the 'tf' alternative, Latin Modern is used instead.
selectfont      > the requested font 'palatino' has no files for the 'tf' alternative, Latin Modern is used instead.
selectfont      > the requested font 'palatino' has no files for the 'tf' alternative, Latin Modern is used instead.
selectfont      > the requested font 'palatino' has no files for the 'tf' alternative, Latin Modern is used instead.

\usetypescriptfile[type-xtx]
\usetypescriptfile[type-gyr]
\usetypescript[palatino][ec]
\definefontfamily [mainface] [rm] [palatino]
\definefontfamily [mainface] [ss] [palatino]
\definefontfamily [mainface] [mm] [palatino]
\definefontfamily [mainface] [tt] [palatino]
\setupbodyfont[mainface,11pt]

\starttext
Hello world!
\stoptext

What am I missing? Are these not available right from the box like the book said? These are ‘predefined typescripts’ as the book said after all. Thanks. I use MacOS if that helps
current version of ConTeXt: 2021.03.05 19:11

~Jethro

* Re: Trouble with using predefined typescript files
@ 2021-06-15  7:01 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2021-06-15  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6/15/2021 6:56 AM, mastermind_ x wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am reading the ConTexT manual’s chapter on Typography. I want to achieve a Palatino-like small font which is bolder than the default provided by ConTeXt like in some math textbooks. So I loaded the typescript files ie type-xxx stated in the chapter in turns no matter the type-xxx I load. I always got this in the log:
>
> fonts           > typescripts > unknown library 'xtx'
> fonts           > typescripts > unknown library 'gyr'
> selectfont      > the requested font 'palatino' has no files for the 'tf' alternative, Latin Modern is used instead.
> selectfont      > the requested font 'palatino' has no files for the 'tf' alternative, Latin Modern is used instead.
> selectfont      > the requested font 'palatino' has no files for the 'tf' alternative, Latin Modern is used instead.
> selectfont      > the requested font 'palatino' has no files for the 'tf' alternative, Latin Modern is used instead.
>

> \usetypescriptfile[type-xtx]
> \usetypescriptfile[type-gyr]
> \usetypescript[palatino][ec]
> \definefontfamily [mainface] [rm] [palatino]
> \definefontfamily [mainface] [ss] [palatino]
> \definefontfamily [mainface] [mm] [palatino]
> \definefontfamily [mainface] [tt] [palatino]
> \setupbodyfont[mainface,11pt]
>
> \starttext
> Hello world!
> \stoptext
>
> What am I missing? Are these not available right from the box like the book said? These are ‘predefined typescripts’ as the book said after all. Thanks. I use MacOS if that helps
> current version of ConTeXt: 2021.03.05 19:11
looks like you combine some mkii examples (xtx is a mkii xetex file, and
there is no gyr) with mkiv

Here is a simple way:

\definefontfeature[default]  [boldened-30]
\definefontfeature[mathextra][boldened-20]

\setupbodyfont[pagella]

\startTEXpage
     test test $t e s t$ test
\stopTEXpage

the boldened-10/15/20/25/30 are predefined effects but you can roll out
your own if needed

Hans