* Does ConTEXt manual also exist in a printer-friendly layout ?
@ 2009-09-05 15:38 Julien Rouiller
From: Julien Rouiller @ 2009-09-05 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

I'm new to ConTEXt.

I downloaded the misc documents and start reading the manual.

After having read about 50 pages, I find all this very interesting,
but is there a more printer-friendly version of the manual ?

The screen-oriented layout of the documents is nice to show what
ConTEXt can do, but my eyes soon get tired when reading long documents
on a screen. I also don't need the navigation links when printing the
manual.

Thanks.

Julien

* Re: Does ConTEXt manual also exist in a printer-friendly layout ?
@ 2009-09-07  6:57 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-09-07  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 5:38 PM, Julien Rouiller <j.a.rouiller@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to ConTEXt.
>
> I downloaded the misc documents and start reading the manual.
>
> After having read about 50 pages, I find all this very interesting,
> but is there a more printer-friendly version of the manual ?
>
> The screen-oriented layout of the documents is nice to show what
> ConTEXt can do, but my eyes soon get tired when reading long documents
> on a screen. I also don't need the navigation links when printing the
> manual.
>
> hmm, usually pdfs are printabl;
maybe you are seeing some slides only
Have a look at
http://www.pragma-ade.com/dir

--
luigi

* Re: Does ConTEXt manual also exist in a printer-friendly layout ?
@ 2009-09-07  7:38   ` R. Bastian
From: R. Bastian @ 2009-09-07  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 08:57:21 +0200
luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> scribit:

> On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 5:38 PM, Julien Rouiller <j.a.rouiller@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm new to ConTEXt.
> >
> > I downloaded the misc documents and start reading the manual.
> >
> > After having read about 50 pages, I find all this very interesting,
> > but is there a more printer-friendly version of the manual ?
> >
> > The screen-oriented layout of the documents is nice to show what
> > ConTEXt can do, but my eyes soon get tired when reading long documents
> > on a screen. I also don't need the navigation links when printing the
> > manual.
> >
> > hmm, usually pdfs are printabl;
> maybe you are seeing some slides only
> Have a look at
> http://www.pragma-ade.com/dir

show-art-1.htm =>
This is our 1998 christmas card graphic. It visualizes the count down to the millenium. It's a real count down: there are 12 60 clocks.

../metapost/graphics/1998 =>

Object not found!
 The requested URL was not found on this server. The link on the referring page seems to be wrong or outdated. Please inform the author of that page about the error.
 If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
Error 404
www.pragma-ade.com
 Mon Sep 7 08:01:59 2009
 Apache/2.2.3 (Linux/SUSE)

@ 2009-09-07  7:49     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-09-07  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 9:38 AM, R. Bastian <rbastian@free.fr> wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 08:57:21 +0200
> luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> scribit:
>
> > On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 5:38 PM, Julien Rouiller <j.a.rouiller@gmail.com
> >wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm new to ConTEXt.
> > >
> > > I downloaded the misc documents and start reading the manual.
> > >
> > > After having read about 50 pages, I find all this very interesting,
> > > but is there a more printer-friendly version of the manual ?
> > >
> > > The screen-oriented layout of the documents is nice to show what
> > > ConTEXt can do, but my eyes soon get tired when reading long documents
> > > on a screen. I also don't need the navigation links when printing the
> > > manual.
> > >
> > > hmm, usually pdfs are printabl;
> > maybe you are seeing some slides only
> > Have a look at
> > http://www.pragma-ade.com/dir
>
> show-art-1.htm =>

 hmm, not here but in
show-gra-1.htm

http://www.pragma-ade.com/show-gra.pdf

--
luigi

* Re: Does ConTEXt manual also exist in a printer-friendly layout ?
@ 2009-09-07  8:18       ` R. Bastian
From: R. Bastian @ 2009-09-07  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 09:49:56 +0200
luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> scribit:

> On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 9:38 AM, R. Bastian <rbastian@free.fr> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 08:57:21 +0200
> > luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> scribit:

> > > maybe you are seeing some slides only
> > > Have a look at
> > > http://www.pragma-ade.com/dir
> >
> > show-art-1.htm =>
> >
>  hmm, not here but in
> show-gra-1.htm

> > This is our 1998 christmas card graphic. It visualizes the count down to
> > the millenium. It's a real count down: there are 12 60 clocks.
> >
> > ../metapost/graphics/1998 =>
> >
> > Object not found!
> >  The requested URL was not found on this server. The link on the referring
> > page seems to be wrong or outdated. Please inform the author of that page
> > about the error.
> >  If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
> > Error 404
> > www.pragma-ade.com
> >  Mon Sep 7 08:01:59 2009
> >  Apache/2.2.3 (Linux/SUSE)

the list of examples should be updated (nettoyer, putzen).

--
René Bastian
www.pythoneon.org

* Re: Does ConTEXt manual also exist in a printer-friendly layout ?
@ 2009-09-07 21:08   ` Julien Rouiller
From: Julien Rouiller @ 2009-09-07 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for your answer Luigi. I know that PDF are printable, but the
main manual (cont-eni.pdf in English) has much redundant information
for printing, like all the navigation links. I would like saving paper
with a layout better adapter for printing.
With only the text of the chapters that displays on the left side and
if possible in portrait-oriented A4 format.

Is there some way keeping only the main text and reshaping the paper
with Ghostscript/GSView, Scribus or such tools ?

Was this job already done by some user ?

Thanks.

Julien

@ 2009-09-07 21:10     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-09-07 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Is there some way keeping only the main text and reshaping the paper
> with Ghostscript/GSView, Scribus or such tools ?
doable with ghostscript I believe, but I don't know exactly switches
If you find them...
--
luigi

* Re: Does ConTEXt manual also exist in a printer-friendly layout ?
@ 2009-09-07 21:15       ` Mohamed Bana
From: Mohamed Bana @ 2009-09-07 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

is there context->html conversion other than going through pandoc?

@ 2009-09-07 21:17     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-09-07 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 07.09.2009 um 23:08 schrieb Julien Rouiller:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your answer Luigi. I know that PDF are printable, but the
> main manual (cont-eni.pdf in English) has much redundant information
> for printing, like all the navigation links. I would like saving paper
> with a layout better adapter for printing.

Screen Version = cont-eni.pdf
Print Version = cont-enp.pdf

http://pragma-ade.com/show-man-9.htm

Wolfgang

* Re: Does ConTEXt manual also exist in a printer-friendly layout ?
@ 2009-09-08  7:09       ` Julien Rouiller
From: Julien Rouiller @ 2009-09-08  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks a lot.

> Screen Version = cont-eni.pdf
> Print Version = cont-enp.pdf
>
> http://pragma-ade.com/show-man-9.htm

I had missed. That's right cont-enp.pdf is the manual for printing.