From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Subject: Fwd: Re: Bug regarding placement and size of primes
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2017 17:10:46 +0200	[thread overview]

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: [NTG-context] Bug regarding placement and size of primes
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2017 17:10:25 +0200
From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
To: Mathias Schickel <msch@fa.uni-tuebingen.de>

On 6/12/2017 4:54 PM, Mathias Schickel wrote:
>> the alternative is that i waste time again and again on getting
>> something to work for all fonts and all combinations which leads to a
>> mess that i then need to maintain without any gain
>
> At first: Thank you very much for your work!
>
>> so, i decided to follow a route that works for most fonts / cases and
>> not some messy hybrid solution (and i don't want a different setup or
>> bag of tricks for each font that is out there as that is a long term
>> no-go)
>
> But I have to contradict you here: It has nothing to do with special or
> hybrid fonts. The problem persists at present (using the LuaTeX version
> that is shipped with the Garden version) in /all/ fonts. The primes are
> not rendered as they should in /any/ font I tried out.
> As Mikael told me, you optimised the code for LuaTeX 1.05 which seems to
> be terminated September this year. But until then the output of primes
> will be not correct. I have no possibility to switch back to the current
> (non-beta) version of ConTeXt, because this version contains the bugs
> with primes you have already resolved.

there will probably be a 1.0.5 one of these days (also for other
reasons) but Mojca has to configure the garden compile farm

> This means that ConTeXt is not usable for me until LuaTeX 1.05 will be
> released or until I am able to compile the source of LuaTeX 1.05 on my
> own. Some of the latest betas (the version one or two weeks ago) did
> solve all problems regarding primes. The problem I am referring to rose
> up in the most recent betas. As Mikael told me, this is because you
> introduced new code to work with LuaTeX 1.05. This is very nice, but
> because this version is not yet released, this decision is questionable,
> since this makes ConTeXt unusable until this release (if you need primes).
>
> So I appreciate your hard work, but I would be nice to have a version
> that runs with the current LuaTeX version of the beta of ConTeXt (or
> alternatively it would be nice if instructions are provided to compile
> the source of LuaTeX for every OS that can be used simply).

then just use old versions and then accept the bugs and limitations in
those versions

> And (to repeat myself) the problem has nothing to do with special fonts
> of hybrid version or whatever. You get the problem using standard Latin
> Modern or any font else. Simply try
latin modern has all kind of issues ... and it's inconsistent with
cambria, other gyre fonts etc ... in a decade of luatex and open type
math fonts i captured a lot of font issues in runtiem fixes but that
will always give side effects

so, i can fix somethign for you with lm and then someone else complains
about lucida etc etc

as i explained before, primes are a mess conceptually .. not a real
character and not a proper superscript candidate either so when one
corrects for one aspect one has to fight the other

also, we have unicode and therefore multiple primes are one character

i simply have no time (nor motivation) to spend days on some temporary
solution that will be complained about also and discarded a while later
anyway

Hans