* synctex file is not compressed
@ 2018-02-26 15:53 Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2018-02-26 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I seem to be not able to get a synctex.gz instead of a synctex file.

I tried
 context --synctex=1 file
and
 context --synctex=-1 file
but in both cases a simple synctex-file is created.

Is this normal?

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/

* Re: synctex file is not compressed
@ 2018-02-27  8:02 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2018-02-27  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2/26/2018 4:53 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> I seem to be not able to get a synctex.gz instead of a synctex file.
>
> I tried
>   context --synctex=1 file
> and
>   context --synctex=-1 file
> but in both cases a simple synctex-file is created.
>
> Is this normal?
Sure, because

- context doesn't use syntex's internal code but uses its own logic
- there is no gain in zipping
- we have relative small synctex files because we use a different logic

the way to enable synctex is in the document (see workflows.pdf):

\setupsynctex[state=start]

it's a bit pitty that pdf viewers have hard coded syntex file parsing
instead of calling a program with coordinates as arguments that starts
the editor because that would make a more powerful combo and give room
for additional functionality:

 > mtxrun --script synctex

but anyway, i can only test with summatra pdf and it works ok here (last
time i checked)

a collegue uses synctex with documents that are constructed runtime of
thousands of small xml files deeply nested and filesize of the synctex
file is neglectable by the size fo the pdf

Hans

* Re: synctex file is not compressed
@ 2018-02-28 20:50   ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2018-02-28 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Tue, 27 Feb 2018 09:02:57 +0100 schrieb Hans Hagen:

>> I seem to be not able to get a synctex.gz instead of a synctex file.

>> I tried
>>   context --synctex=1 file
>> and
>>   context --synctex=-1 file
>> but in both cases a simple synctex-file is created.
>>
>> Is this normal?

> Sure,

> but anyway, i can only test with summatra pdf and it works ok here (last
> time i checked)

The synctex file works, that is not my problem. But arara creates by
default synctex.gz files and my editor gets confused if both
variants are used. So I was trying to unify the synctex file types
and wondered why it (no longer?) worked with context.

I can find a way around the problem.