* Math kerning broken in latest beta
@ 2018-04-10 22:53 Henri Menke
From: Henri Menke @ 2018-04-10 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear list,

The math kerning seems to be broken in recent versions of LuaTeX.  When I
process the MWE below with TeX Live 2017 (LuaTeX 1.0.4) I get a different result
from the latest beta (LuaTeX 1.07.0).  However, I could only observe this
behaviour with some fonts, e.g. stixtwo or lucidaot.  No difference was
encountered for modern and xits.

Cheers, Henri

---

\setupbodyfont[stixtwo] % or lucidaot
\startTEXpage
$V_A$
\stopTEXpage

[-- Attachment #2: 104.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #3: 1070.pdf --]

* Re: Math kerning broken in latest beta
@ 2018-04-11 12:00 ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2018-04-11 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Wed, 11 Apr 2018 10:53:58 +1200 schrieb Henri Menke:

> The math kerning seems to be broken in recent versions of LuaTeX.  When I
> process the MWE below with TeX Live 2017 (LuaTeX 1.0.4) I get a different result
> from the latest beta (LuaTeX 1.07.0).

We see this in latex too, at looks as if only single atoms are
affected, so adding something to the subscript gives another result:

$\gamma_{e^2} \gamma_{ee} \gamma_{e\hphantom{\strut}} \gamma_{e} $

(I can't test it with context, for some reason it currently don't
find the stix fonts on this pc)

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/

* Re: Math kerning broken in latest beta
@ 2018-04-11 13:26   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2018-04-11 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 4/11/2018 2:00 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Wed, 11 Apr 2018 10:53:58 +1200 schrieb Henri Menke:
>
>> The math kerning seems to be broken in recent versions of LuaTeX.  When I
>> process the MWE below with TeX Live 2017 (LuaTeX 1.0.4) I get a different result
>> from the latest beta (LuaTeX 1.07.0).
>

> We see this in latex too, at looks as if only single atoms are
> affected, so adding something to the subscript gives another result:
>
> $\gamma_{e^2} \gamma_{ee} \gamma_{e\hphantom{\strut}} \gamma_{e} $
>
> (I can't test it with context, for some reason it currently don't
> find the stix fonts on this pc)
The usual 'math italic mess' where fonts assume italic correction
instead of proper math kerns.

I'll add a fix for that. We already have \mathscriptcharmode (default 1)
for lists and will have \mathboxcharmode (also defaulting to 1) for
loose chars. We can turn it off in order to investigate issues with real
math kerns (which most fonts seem to lack). Depending on how fonts
develop We might need a font bound flag too.

(In context i might turn these italics into proper math kerns some day.)

Hans

* Re: Math kerning broken in latest beta
@ 2018-04-11 14:27     ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2018-04-11 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Wed, 11 Apr 2018 15:26:34 +0200 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> The usual 'math italic mess' where fonts assume italic correction
> instead of proper math kerns.

Do you know a (free) math font with proper math kerns? I made a fast
search through the lua files of my font cache but couldn't find
anything saying "mathkern".