* Re: Setting double hypens --
@ 2000-05-20 20:20 Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2000-05-20 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I had the same "problem" a while back, Taco Hoekwater was (as always)
very helpful and he wrote me a definition that's used for your example and
it's named \vantot and there's even a variation for the "gedachtestreepje"
that's called \denk. The \praat is used in novels when there's a dialogue
and the author uses the dash to indicate the next person is speaking.

Let me see if I have them here (copy them on ONE line):

\def\praat  {\leavevmode\thinspace\penalty0 \hbox{--\kern
-.25em--}\thinspace\penalty0}

\def\denk   {\leavevmode\thinspace\penalty0 \hbox{--\kern -.25em--}\

\def\vantot {\thinspace--\thinspace}

Groet!

frans

> Hello All,
>
> In certain fonts the -- produces weird effects because the - isn't a
> straight dash, but something a bit more fancy.
>
> Is it possible in context to replace -- by {\ss --} (or so)?

* RE: Setting double hypens --
       [not found] <00052300595801.00224@leonore>
@ 2000-05-23  6:04 ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2000-05-23  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I can't believe there are professional fonts without endash
> and emdash???

See my other post,

This isn't a professional font :-)

(but I admit this one is quite bearable, it's an ITC Novarese look-alike I
think, an hybrid serif).

Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* RE: Setting double hypens --
@ 2000-05-22 19:30   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-05-22 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 07:10 PM 5/22/2000 +0200, Berend de Boer wrote:

>Quite correct. But this font has no mapping of -- (and I doubt if there is a
>suitable thing in that font file). So context appends two --.

The same with lucida handwriting. So I'm aware of the problem -)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* RE: Setting double hypens --
       [not found] <00052102494306.00227@leonore>
@ 2000-05-22 17:10 ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2000-05-22 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >In certain fonts the -- produces weird effects because the - isn't a
> >straight dash, but something a bit more fancy.
> >
> >Is it possible in context to replace -- by {\ss --} (or so)?
> >

> STOP!
>
> -, --, --- and $-$ are all different glyphs!
>
>   '-'   hyphen
>   '--'  endash
>   '---' emdash  (_not_ used in german!)
>
> if '--' or '---' produces weired effects that is just an error in the
> (virtual) font where these character sequences aren't
> properly mapped (as
> a ligature) to the appropriate glyph.

Hello Uwe,

Quite correct. But this font has no mapping of -- (and I doubt if there is a
suitable thing in that font file). So context appends two --.

And because the - is drawn with the left side a bit lower (swirling up) and
the right side a bit higher (also swirling up) two -- produce a strange
effect.

So I have to fix this outside the font file.

Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* RE: Setting double hypens --
       [not found] <20000520212313.8344F64C58@wormwood.pobox.com>
@ 2000-05-22 17:06 ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2000-05-22 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

> When I had the same "problem" a while back, Taco Hoekwater
> was (as always)
> very helpful and he wrote me a definition that's used for
> your example

Hello Frans,

Thanks for the msg. The problem with this approach is that it is not
automatic. Now, everywhere where -- is used I've to replace it by \vantot.
That is not always a solution (text I include more or less verbatim from
databases and such).

But indeed, if there is no automatic way, I've to do it this way.

Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: Setting double hypens --
@ 2000-05-21 22:15 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-05-21 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 10:34 AM 5/20/2000 +0200, you wrote:

>In certain fonts the -- produces weird effects because the - isn't a
>straight dash, but something a bit more fancy.
>
>Is it possible in context to replace -- by {\ss --} (or so)?
>
>With \setuphypenmark the default hyphenation can be corrected. Also with
>\setuplanguage |<| and |>| can be corrected.
>
>Can \installcompoundcharacter be used?
>
>The -- is used in: `the year 1999--2000', `in grades 4--8', etc.

The best way is something in the encoding file, say:

\definecharacter   dash {-}
\definecharacter endash {--}
\definecharacter emdash {---}

Given that we (you, others) sort it out on forehand, I can then hook it
into the || mechanism.

Additional, we can define a \range command, like \range{4}{5} which can be
set up so that one can have 4--6 or 4->6 or 4~~6 or whatever, depending in
the symbol set.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Setting double hypens --
@ 2000-05-21 21:26 Uwe Koloska
From: Uwe Koloska @ 2000-05-21 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Berend wrote on Sam, 20 Mai 2000:
>Hello All,
>
>In certain fonts the -- produces weird effects because the - isn't a
>straight dash, but something a bit more fancy.
>
>Is it possible in context to replace -- by {\ss --} (or so)?

STOP!

-, --, --- and $-$ are all different glyphs!

'-'   hyphen
'--'  endash
'---' emdash  (_not_ used in german!)

if '--' or '---' produces weired effects that is just an error in the
(virtual) font where these character sequences aren't properly mapped (as
a ligature) to the appropriate glyph.

>With \setuphypenmark the default hyphenation can be corrected. Also with
>\setuplanguage |<| and |>| can be corrected.
>
>Can \installcompoundcharacter be used?
>
>The -- is used in: `the year 1999--2000', `in grades 4--8', etc.
>
>Groetjes,
>
>Berend. (-:

Grüße
Uwe

P.S.: Berend: Sorry, I mistakenly send you this posting directly ...

--
mailto:koloska@rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de
http://rcswww.urz.tu-dresden.de/~koloska/

* Setting double hypens --