* Re: x=8.5
@ 2000-11-20 22:51 siepo
From: siepo @ 2000-11-20 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19 Nov, Hans Hagen wrote:
> At 03:47 PM 11/19/00 +0100, siepo@client44-3.kabelA.oprit.rug.nl wrote:
>>Context doesn't seem to like this:
>>
>>\definebodyfontenvironment[10pt][x=8.5pt]
>>\starttext
>>\showbodyfont[10pt]
>>\stoptext
>>
>>In the log I get messages
>>
>>bodyfont       : unknown format 8.5ptrmtf
>>bodyfont       : unknown format 8.5ptsstf
>>bodyfont       : unknown format 8.5pttttf
>
> The x=8.5pt refers to a body font size, so you need to define one
> first:
>
>   \definebodyfontenvironment[8.5pt]
>
> now we need some fonts, so
>
>   \definebodyfont[8.5pt][rm,ss,tt][default]
>
> then your def,
>
>   \definebodyfontenvironment[10pt][x=8.5pt]
>
> and gone are the messages.
>
> Hans

Thanks, that did it.

After all my other font enquiries, and also in response to your answer
to my `more font switches' question, and a mail from Berend, a few
general remarks:

maybe Context font switching is intuitive as long as you don't think
about it. However, a bit of experimentation leads to a lot of unexpected
behaviour.

Contrast this with the simple logic of LaTeX font switching, the basics
of which can be explained in two sentences:

1. LaTeX uses a set of mutually independent font characteristics:
   encoding, family, series, shape and size.
2. Selected font characteristics will take effect at the next
   \selectfont command, which will pick the font which best matches the
   then-current font characteristics as the new current font.

More on this later, from Taco and me both.

> PS. Since font sizes move through the system and since tex is very
> accurate but not inf, font sizes are rounded. You can influence this
> with (default)
> \chardef\fontdigits=1; the reason for rounding is that 3.5pt for tex
> can be 3.49999pt which is rather annoying if a size if part of a
> setting or csname.

Good tip.

Siep

* Re: x=8.5
       [not found]   ` <200011202258.XAA27753@pindakaas.cybercomm.nl>
@ 2000-11-21  8:42     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-11-21  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 11:51 PM 11/20/00 +0100, you wrote:

>After all my other font enquiries, and also in response to your answer
>to my `more font switches' question, and a mail from Berend, a few
>general remarks:
>
>maybe Context font switching is intuitive as long as you don't think
>about it. However, a bit of experimentation leads to a lot of unexpected
>behaviour.

BTW, you can define as many fallbacks as you want. The basic principles
behind the current implementation is that definitions are resolved as late
as possible, and thereby can be changed on the fly, as well as plain
compatability, as well as suited for usage in documents with lots of
abbreviations and alike where smaller sizes need to adapt themselves. As
long as you stick to

  [\rm \ss \tt] [\tf \bf \sl ...] [\tx \txx ]

the system will try to honor you request as good as possible, given that
the sizes and their dependencies are known.

I have a rough idea on a second font mechanism [which i need for certain
applications] but that's on the to do list. One reason is that i need a few
more axis [multiple encodings per font, language dependent fonts, font
dependent conversions, layout location dependencies, as well as some typo
axis]. A third mechanism will be purely name mapping based and is already
present in some parts of context.

[of course live would be far more easy if we had more math families and a
less awkward way of math font switching, so i will probably look into it as
soon as i start palying with omega and otps and alike; some experiments are
running with this]

Hans

                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: x=8.5
@ 2000-11-19 22:56 ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]   ` <200011202258.XAA27753@pindakaas.cybercomm.nl>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-11-19 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 03:47 PM 11/19/00 +0100, siepo@client44-3.kabelA.oprit.rug.nl wrote:
>Context doesn't seem to like this:
>
>\definebodyfontenvironment[10pt][x=8.5pt]
>\starttext
>\showbodyfont[10pt]
>\stoptext
>
>In the log I get messages
>
>bodyfont       : unknown format 8.5ptrmtf
>bodyfont       : unknown format 8.5ptsstf
>bodyfont       : unknown format 8.5pttttf

The x=8.5pt refers to a body font size, so you need to define one first:

  \definebodyfontenvironment[8.5pt]

now we need some fonts, so

  \definebodyfont[8.5pt][rm,ss,tt][default]

then your def,

  \definebodyfontenvironment[10pt][x=8.5pt]

and gone are the messages.

Hans

PS. Since font sizes move through the system and since tex is very accurate
but not inf, font sizes are rounded. You can influence this with (default)
\chardef\fontdigits=1; the reason for rounding is that 3.5pt for tex can be
3.49999pt which is rather annoying if a size if part of a setting or csname.

                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* x=8.5
@ 2000-11-19 14:47 siepo