* more font switches
@ 2000-11-19 16:21 siepo
From: siepo @ 2000-11-19 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Size commands appear to wipe out bold settings too:

  \ss\bold

  {\tf normalsize}

  {\tfx x-size}

  {\tfa a-size}

does not result in any bold text.

Using Computer Modern instead of Times/Helvetica

  \ss\bold

  {\tf\bold normalsize}

  {\tfx\bold x-size}

  {\tfa\bold a-size}

the last entry still isn't bold even though with ber,pos this works as
expected.

Siep

* Re: more font switches
@ 2000-11-19 22:47 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-11-19 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 05:21 PM 11/19/00 +0100, you wrote:
>Size commands appear to wipe out bold settings too:
>
>  \ss\bold
>
>  {\tf normalsize}
>
>  {\tfx x-size}
>
>  {\tfa a-size}
>
>does not result in any bold text.
>
>Using Computer Modern instead of Times/Helvetica
>
>  \ss\bold
>
>  {\tf\bold normalsize}
>
>  {\tfx\bold x-size}
>
>  {\tfa\bold a-size}
>
>the last entry still isn't bold even though with ber,pos this works as
>expected.

Because fonts take quite some resources and because computer modern fonts
have many design sizes and take even more resourses, not all sizes are
defined by default. In font-cmr you can see that the big sans ones are just
defined as normal ones. Since we nowadays may expect users to have set
their font parameters large and if nobody objects, i can set the big bold
[and alike] sans cmr's too. [originally i defined as much as emtex could
reasonably handle, later i added some more, keepin ginto mind that loading
soem additional ones should still fit into the amount normally allocated in
web2c]. So, i can add a few more now.

\definebodyfont [12pt] [ss]
  [bfa=cmss12 scaled \magstep1,  % this then will be cmssbx .....

the phv and other fonts with no design sizes are defined using the settings
in font-unk.tex, so there you get a few more for free.

Concerning the switch, \tf* == regular/sans/mono depending on the style at
hand, and the \bold will overload it.

If you want the smaller one of the current font, use \tx and \txx, since
they adapt themselves to \tf \bf \sl \etc while \bfx for instance is
hardcoded.

The basic idea behind this scheme is that you can define styles in such a
way that you can switch to sans or mono using one command, which was what
we needed many years ago to satisfy those customers who wanted sans instead
of roman while we prefered to develop/proofread docs in roman,

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: more font switches
@ 2000-11-22  6:53   ` Johannes H?sing
From: Johannes H?sing @ 2000-11-22  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Somebody please distill this discussion into two or six FAQs?
I am beginning to set up an FAQ list, which is on
http://www.ruhrau.de/hannes/tex/context-faq.tex, but the people
asking the questions are deeper involved so a rephrasing on their
side would look much better than if I did it.

thanks

Johannes
--
Johannes Hüsing <hannes@ruhrau.de>