* Size Information
@ 2000-12-20 16:15 Marc van Dongen
From: Marc van Dongen @ 2000-12-20 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Group,

Since about a year and a half I have a pdf-based document
on-line for a course I am delivering. The document is not
implemented with ConTeXt. Last summer I tried to port it
to ConTeXt but that failed.

The document is getting pretty big and students complain
about the long downloads---it's 2meg. I am thinking again
to give it another try to port the document to ConTeXt
to see if this will save some bytes.

Could anybody give me some indication as to what the
size of a document like this would be had it been
implemented with ConTeXt?

You can find it at:
 http://www.cs.ucc.ie/~dongen/cs1061.pdf

Regards,

Marc van Dongen
--
     Marc van Dongen, CS Dept | phone:  +353 21 4903578
University College Cork, NUIC | Fax:    +353 21 4903113

* Re: Size Information
@ 2000-12-20 17:29 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-12-20 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 04:15 PM 12/20/00 +0000, Marc van Dongen wrote:
>Dear Group,
>

>Since about a year and a half I have a pdf-based document
>on-line for a course I am delivering. The document is not
>implemented with ConTeXt. Last summer I tried to port it
>to ConTeXt but that failed.
>
>The document is getting pretty big and students complain
>about the long downloads---it's 2meg. I am thinking again
>to give it another try to port the document to ConTeXt
>to see if this will save some bytes.
>
>Could anybody give me some indication as to what the
>size of a document like this would be had it been
>implemented with ConTeXt?
>
>You can find it at:
> http://www.cs.ucc.ie/~dongen/cs1061.pdf

I currently have a zero bytes per second download speed, so a wild guess:

(1) object reuse, graphics and backgrounds and so
(2) page links instead of names ones [also more robust]
(3) clever font choices
(4) high compresslevel [is high by default]

sometimes, with lots of colors:

\pdfstrokecolorfalse

[colors are already reduced when possible]

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Size Information
@ 2000-12-20 17:44   ` Marc van Dongen
From: Marc van Dongen @ 2000-12-20 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen (pragma@wxs.nl) wrote:

[snip]
: > http://www.cs.ucc.ie/~dongen/cs1061.pdf

(I just realised I should have refered to the
gzipped verison as well:
    http://www.cs.ucc.ie/~dongen/cs1061.pdf.gz)

: I currently have a zero bytes per second download speed, so a wild guess:
:
: (1) object reuse, graphics and backgrounds and so
I think graphics are reused.
: (2) page links instead of names ones [also more robust]
There are *many* links in the document.
: (3) clever font choices
: (4) high compresslevel [is high by default]
I am using the highest compress level at the moment.
: sometimes, with lots of colors:
:
: \pdfstrokecolorfalse
:
: [colors are already reduced when possible]

Thanks!

Regards,

Marc

BTW: I have a student working on a LaTeX-style which
     for the generation of three games. The games will
     be question/answer based. Players can only proceed
     in the games if they provide the tight answer.
     MetaPost will be used for the graphics. I'll post
     the syles when they're ready. (I first got the
     idea to use games in pdf when I visited Prof.
     D.P. Story's website at
      http://www.math.uakron.edu/~dpstory
     From there go to the AcroTeX site.