* Re: mpost/epstopdf problem
@ 2001-01-22 11:32 Marc van Dongen
From: Marc van Dongen @ 2001-01-22 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marc van Dongen (dongen@cs.ucc.ie) wrote:

: Next look at pages 8 and 28.

Correction. That should be 8 and 31.

Regards,

Marc

* Re: mpost/epstopdf problem
@ 2001-01-22 13:17           ` Marc van Dongen
From: Marc van Dongen @ 2001-01-22 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hans Hagen (pragma@wxs.nl) wrote:

[snip]

: Hm. It's rather plain. -)
:
: You may also try:
:
: texexec --fig=c --pdf yourfile.1

I got it to work! Won't use anything else anymore:-)
Thanks again.

Regards,

Marc

* Re: mpost/epstopdf problem
@ 2001-01-22 13:12       ` Marc van Dongen
From: Marc van Dongen @ 2001-01-22 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hans Hagen (pragma@wxs.nl) wrote:

: Your problem is a typical font cache problem with acroread trying to be
: clever. Pdftex has some build in tricks to prevent that cleverness.

Thanks a *mille* Hans. It works.
It also solved a lot of other
font related problems I couldn't
explain.

Regards,

Marc

* Re: mpost/epstopdf problem
@ 2001-01-22 12:56         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-01-22 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 12:38 PM 1/22/01 +0000, Marc van Dongen wrote:
>Hans Hagen (pragma@wxs.nl) wrote:
>
>: The fact that they show up does not mean that they are fine, especially
>: when if comes to unique font names for embedded subsets and so. The
>: advantage of using mptopdf is that pdftex does the conversion, as well as
>: the latter inclusion which in my opinion is more safe, although i didn't
>: test it.
>:
>: Your problem is a typical font cache problem with acroread trying to be
>: clever. Pdftex has some build in tricks to prevent that cleverness.
>
>Thanks for the explanation. I'll try mptopdf and let you know
>abou tthe results. It may take some time before I get back to
>you because I had problems with the installation of mptopdf
>earlier on.

Hm. It's rather plain. -)

You may also try:

texexec --fig=c --pdf yourfile.1

just a bit slower

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: mpost/epstopdf problem
@ 2001-01-22 12:38       ` Marc van Dongen
From: Marc van Dongen @ 2001-01-22 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

@ 2001-01-22 11:46     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-01-22 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

@ 2001-01-22 11:30   ` Marc van Dongen
From: Marc van Dongen @ 2001-01-22 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hans Hagen (pragma@wxs.nl) wrote:

: >I have a problem with an mp generated eps
: >which contains a ``btex ${\cal D}$ etex''
: >The eps looks fine when I view it with gs.
: >However, the letter D gets lost when I run
: >epstopdf on the eps. A similar picture with
: >a ``btex ${\cal L}$ etex'' in it works fine.
: >
: >Any suggestions as to where to look for the
: >cause of the problem? How to solve it?
:
: why not try "mptopdf" ?

I have to rephrase my original posting. The pdfs
are all fine. Only at the moment of inclusion
(with pdflatex) do some characters disappear. I
can produce exaples where characters become visible
or not depending on the page where you open the pdf.

I know this sounds WEIRD, but I tried to view the
pdflatex produced pdf on two different machines and
had the same result. See
http://www.cs.ucc.ie/~dongen/talk.pdf

Next look at pages 8 and 28.

Depending on how I open the document I can't see one
letter (an L or a D) on the left at the bottom of one
of these pages before the #-sign. However, if I close
the document with <CTRL-W> and open it with <CTRL-LEFT>
again I CAN see it but then the letter on the other page
dissapears. I can produce similar examples as well and
they only seem to happen in math mode.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Marc

* Re: mpost/epstopdf problem
@ 2001-01-22  8:25 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-01-22  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 02:34 PM 1/21/01 +0000, you wrote:
>Hello there,
>
>I have a problem with an mp generated eps
>which contains a ``btex ${\cal D}$ etex''
>The eps looks fine when I view it with gs.
>However, the letter D gets lost when I run
>epstopdf on the eps. A similar picture with
>a ``btex ${\cal L}$ etex'' in it works fine.
>
>Any suggestions as to where to look for the
>cause of the problem? How to solve it?

why not try "mptopdf" ?

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* mpost/epstopdf problem
@ 2001-01-21 14:34 Marc van Dongen
From: Marc van Dongen @ 2001-01-21 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello there,

I have a problem with an mp generated eps
which contains a ``btex ${\cal D}$ etex''
The eps looks fine when I view it with gs.
However, the letter D gets lost when I run
epstopdf on the eps. A similar picture with
a ``btex ${\cal L}$ etex'' in it works fine.

Any suggestions as to where to look for the
cause of the problem? How to solve it?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Marc van Dongen
--
     Marc van Dongen, CS Dept | phone:  +353 21 4903578
University College Cork, NUIC | Fax:    +353 21 4903113