* Fonts not found
@ 2001-01-28  9:11 Johannes H?sing
From: Johannes H?sing @ 2001-01-28  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I recently decided rto change from the SuSE Linux to the Debian
GNU/Linux distribution. I was dissatisfied with the version of ConTeXt
on the latter and installed a new ConTeXt on the TEXLOCAL tree.

Since then, I get disturbing messages running ConTeXt like
"Warning: cont-en (file cmr8): Font cmr8 at 720 not found"
and even more disturbing output (ugly pixelish fonts), even though the
font files seem to be there: "locate cmr8.pfb" gets me
/usr/share/texmf/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmr8.pfb.

Looking at the log I see that all paths mentioned use the TEXLOCAL
tree. The only exception is /usr/share/texmf/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg.
Oh yes, and cmr8.pfb is mapped to cmr8 in pdftex.map.

Could anyone guess what I might have been doing wrong here?

Thanks very much

Johannes
--
Johannes Hüsing <hannes@ruhrau.de>   /"\  ASCII-Ribbon Campaign
                                     \ /  against HTML in

* Re: Fonts not found
@ 2001-01-28 22:08 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-01-28 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 10:11 AM 1/28/01 +0100, Johannes H?sing wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I recently decided rto change from the SuSE Linux to the Debian
>GNU/Linux distribution. I was dissatisfied with the version of ConTeXt
>on the latter and installed a new ConTeXt on the TEXLOCAL tree.
>
>Since then, I get disturbing messages running ConTeXt like
>"Warning: cont-en (file cmr8): Font cmr8 at 720 not found"
>and even more disturbing output (ugly pixelish fonts), even though the
>font files seem to be there: "locate cmr8.pfb" gets me
>/usr/share/texmf/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmr8.pfb.
>
>Looking at the log I see that all paths mentioned use the TEXLOCAL
>tree. The only exception is /usr/share/texmf/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg.
>Oh yes, and cmr8.pfb is mapped to cmr8 in pdftex.map.

This is unrelated to context. Are you sure that the pdf config file
includes a proper map file from the right path? There have been changes
(long ago) in the location of those paths. Also set up:

set TEXMFLOCAL=...
set TEXMFMAIN=...
set TEXMFCNF=...

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Fonts not found
@ 2001-01-29 22:34   ` Johannes H?sing
From: Johannes H?sing @ 2001-01-29 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 11:08:57PM +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:
> At 10:11 AM 1/28/01 +0100, Johannes H?sing wrote:
[...]
> >Since then, I get disturbing messages running ConTeXt like
> >"Warning: cont-en (file cmr8): Font cmr8 at 720 not found"
> >and even more disturbing output (ugly pixelish fonts), even though the
> >font files seem to be there: "locate cmr8.pfb" gets me
> >/usr/share/texmf/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmr8.pfb.
> >
> >Looking at the log I see that all paths mentioned use the TEXLOCAL
> >tree. The only exception is /usr/share/texmf/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg.
> >Oh yes, and cmr8.pfb is mapped to cmr8 in pdftex.map.
>
> This is unrelated to context.

Most certainly, but maybe not to ConTeXt :-). I run pdflatex without
problems so the issue apparently is not within pdftex.

> Are you sure that the pdf config file
> includes a proper map file from the right path?

I don't know if pdftex.cfg expects the pdftex.map file to reside in the
$TEXMFMAIN/dvips/config folder, so I created a soft link to the same
directory as pdftex.cfg. Same effect. So, where would pdftex expect the
map file to be? Oh yes, and I ran texhash.

Greetings

Johannes
--

@ 2001-01-30 17:42     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-01-30 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 11:34 PM 1/29/01 +0100, Johannes H?sing wrote:
>On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 11:08:57PM +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> At 10:11 AM 1/28/01 +0100, Johannes H?sing wrote:
>[...]
>> >Since then, I get disturbing messages running ConTeXt like
>> >"Warning: cont-en (file cmr8): Font cmr8 at 720 not found"
>> >and even more disturbing output (ugly pixelish fonts), even though the
>> >font files seem to be there: "locate cmr8.pfb" gets me
>> >/usr/share/texmf/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmr8.pfb.
>> >
>> >Looking at the log I see that all paths mentioned use the TEXLOCAL
>> >tree. The only exception is /usr/share/texmf/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg.
>> >Oh yes, and cmr8.pfb is mapped to cmr8 in pdftex.map.
>>
>> This is unrelated to context.
>
>Most certainly, but maybe not to ConTeXt :-). I run pdflatex without
>problems so the issue apparently is not within pdftex.
>
>> Are you sure that the pdf config file
>> includes a proper map file from the right path?
>
>I don't know if pdftex.cfg expects the pdftex.map file to reside in the
>$TEXMFMAIN/dvips/config folder, so I created a soft link to the same
>directory as pdftex.cfg. Same effect. So, where would pdftex expect the
>map file to be? Oh yes, and I ran texhash.

You may then check the paths as specified in texmf.cnf where fonts are
sought. Maybe there is a difference there.

you cal so otry one of the obscure path search debugging flags (pdfetex
--help)

@ 2017-03-16 21:28         ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2017-03-16 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2017-03-15 um 08:27 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net>:

>> There seem to be serious problems with font detection.
>>
>> I spent most of yesterday trying to convince ConTeXt to load my font, even from the same directory and even proven candidates like Gentium and Delicious – I get mostly only TeX Gyre Palladio Math :(
>>
>> While a simple example works:
>>
>> \usetypescriptfile[type-fiee]
>> \usetypescript[fiee]
>> \setupbodyfont[fiee,rm,9.5pt]
>>
>> \starttext
>> \input tufte
>> {\ss \input knuth }
>> \stoptext
>>
>> The same code in an environment doesn’t. I tried force-reloading the font database several times, deleting the luatex cache, reverting to an older version - always the same. I’m out of resources now.
>
> My log says only:

> open source     > level 5, order 6, name 'type-fiee.tex'
> close source    > level 5, order 6, name 'type-fiee.tex'
> fonts           > typescripts > unknown library 'default'
> mkiv lua stats  > loaded fonts: 3 files: latinmodern-math.otf, lmroman12-regular.otf, texgyrepagella-math.otf
> mkiv lua stats  > font engine: otf 3.027, afm 1.512, tfm 1.000, 10 instances, 3 shared in backend, 0 common vectors, 3 common hashes, load time 0.824 seconds
> mkiv lua stats  > luatex banner: this is luatex, version 1.0.3 (tex live 2017/dev)

Ahoi,

while I found a workaround for my problem, I still don’t understand the cause:

– I defined a family of Gentium and Delicious in a typescript file (as attached in my previous post),
– If I load this in a minimal example, as above, all is well.
– If I load this in an environment, the fonts are ignored. There are no error messages.
– If I change the font size from 9.5pt to any integer size, it works!

Does this ring any bells? What’s wrong with decimal font sizes, and why only in a project setup?

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
GPG Key ID 1C9B22FD

* Fonts not found
@ 2017-03-15  7:27       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2017-03-15  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry for hijacking the other thread.
While I saw the same error message at some time, I seem to have a different problem.

Am 2017-03-15 um 08:17 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net>:

> There seem to be serious problems with font detection.
>
> I spent most of yesterday trying to convince ConTeXt to load my font, even from the same directory and even proven candidates like Gentium and Delicious – I get mostly only TeX Gyre Palladio Math :(
>
> While a simple example works:
>
> \usetypescriptfile[type-fiee]
> \usetypescript[fiee]
> \setupbodyfont[fiee,rm,9.5pt]
>
> \starttext
> \input tufte
> {\ss \input knuth }
> \stoptext
>
> The same code in an environment doesn’t. I tried force-reloading the font database several times, deleting the luatex cache, reverting to an older version - always the same. I’m out of resources now.

My log says only:

open source     > level 5, order 6, name 'type-fiee.tex'
close source    > level 5, order 6, name 'type-fiee.tex'
fonts           > typescripts > unknown library 'default'
mkiv lua stats  > loaded fonts: 3 files: latinmodern-math.otf, lmroman12-regular.otf, texgyrepagella-math.otf
mkiv lua stats  > font engine: otf 3.027, afm 1.512, tfm 1.000, 10 instances, 3 shared in backend, 0 common vectors, 3 common hashes, load time 0.824 seconds
mkiv lua stats  > luatex banner: this is luatex, version 1.0.3 (tex live 2017/dev)

I try to attach the typescript file.

Greetlings, Hraban

[-- Attachment #2: type-fiee.tex --]

%
% Typescript for serif family sil gentium
% LuaTeX only!
%

\definefontfeature[fieefeatures]
[%mode=node,liga=yes,kern=yes,tlig=yes,
  %ccmp=yes,language=dflt,
  protrusion=quality,
  expansion=quality]

\starttypescript[serif][gentium]
	% \definefontsynonym[Gentium]      	[name:Gentium]
	% \definefontsynonym[GentiumAlt]      [name:GentiumAlt]
	% \definefontsynonym[GentiumAltItalic][name:GentiumAlt Italic]
	% \definefontsynonym[GentiumItalic]	[name:Gentium Italic]
	% \definefontsynonym[GentiumBold]		[name:Gentium Basic Bold]
	% \definefontsynonym[GentiumBoldItalic][name:Gentium Basic Bold Italic]
    %
	% \definefontsynonym[GentiumBook]      	[name:Gentium Basic Book]
	% \definefontsynonym[GentiumBookItalic]	[name:Gentium Basic Book Italic]
	% \definefontsynonym[GentiumBookBold]		[name:Gentium Basic Book Bold]
	% \definefontsynonym[GentiumBookBoldItalic][name:Gentium Basic Book Bold Italic]
    \definefontsynonym[Gentium][file:fonts/GenBasR.ttf]
    \definefontsynonym[GentiumItalic][file:fonts/GenBasI.ttf]
    \definefontsynonym[GentiumBold][file:fonts/GenBasB.ttf]
    \definefontsynonym[GentiumBoldItalic][file:fonts/GenBasBI.ttf]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[sans][delicious]
	\definefontsynonym[Delicious]	[file:fonts/Delicious-Roman.otf]
	\definefontsynonym[Delicious-Italic]	[file:fonts/Delicious-Italic.otf]
	\definefontsynonym[Delicious-Bold]	[file:fonts/Delicious-Bold.otf]
	\definefontsynonym[Delicious-BoldItalic]	[file:fonts/Delicious-BoldItalic.otf]
	\definefontsynonym[Delicious-SmallCaps]	[file:fonts/Delicious-SmallCaps.otf]
	\definefontsynonym[Delicious-Heavy]	[file:fonts/Delicious-Heavy.otf]
	% \definefontsynonym[Delicious]	[name:deliciousroman]
	% \definefontsynonym[Delicious-Italic]	[name:deliciousitalic]
	% \definefontsynonym[Delicious-Bold]	[name:deliciousbold]
	% \definefontsynonym[Delicious-BoldItalic]	[name:deliciousbolditalic]
	% \definefontsynonym[Delicious-SmallCaps]	[name:delicioussmallcaps]
	% \definefontsynonym[Delicious-Heavy]	[name:deliciousheavy]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[serif][gentium][name]
	%\setups[font:fallback:serif]
	\definefontsynonym[Serif]           [Gentium]
	\definefontsynonym[SerifBold]       [GentiumBold]
	\definefontsynonym[SerifItalic]     [GentiumItalic]
	\definefontsynonym[SerifBoldItalic] [GentiumBoldItalic]
	\definefontsynonym[SerifSlanted]    [GentiumItalic]
	\definefontsynonym[SerifBoldSlanted][GentiumBoldItalic]
	%\definefontsynonym[SerifCaps]       [GentiumAlt]
	%\definefontsynonym[SerifBoldCaps]	[SerifItalic]
	%\definefontsynonym[SerifOldstyle]	[SerifItalic]

	% markup of \Var[alt] results in a (subtle) font switch:
	%\definefontvariant [Serif] [alt] [Alt]
	% unfortunately you need to define eight synonyms to handle the fallback cases:
	\definefontsynonym [SerifRegular]	[Serif]
	\definefontsynonym [SerifRegularAlt]	[SerifAlt]
	\definefontsynonym[SerifAlt]        [GentiumAlt]
	\definefontsynonym[SerifAltItalic]  [GentiumAltItalic]
	%\definefontsynonym [SerifBoldAlt]	[SerifAlt]
	%\definefontsynonym [SerifCapsAlt]	[SerifAlt]
	\definefontsynonym [SerifItalicAlt]	[SerifItalicAlt]
	\definefontsynonym [SerifSlantedAlt]	[SerifItalicAlt]
	\definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalicAlt]	[SerifItalicAlt]
	\definefontsynonym [SerifBoldSlantedAlt]	[SerifItalicAlt]

	% \Var[book] is slightly bolder:
	%\definefontvariant [Serif] [book] [Book]

	\definefontsynonym[SerifBook]           [GentiumBook]
	\definefontsynonym[SerifBoldBook]       [GentiumBook]
	\definefontsynonym[SerifItalicBook]     [GentiumBookItalic]
	\definefontsynonym[SerifBoldItalicBook] [GentiumBookBoldItalic]
	\definefontsynonym[SerifSlantedBook]    [GentiumBookItalic]
	\definefontsynonym[SerifBoldSlantedBook][GentiumBookBoldItalic]
	%\definefontsynonym[SerifCapsBook]       [GentiumBook]
	%\definefontsynonym[SerifBoldCapsBook]	[SerifItalicBook]
	%\definefontsynonym[SerifOldstyleBook]	[SerifItalicBook]

	\definefontsynonym [SerifRegularBook]	[SerifBook]
	\definefontsynonym [SerifBoldBook]	[SerifBook]
	%\definefontsynonym [SerifCapsBook]	[SerifBook]
	\definefontsynonym [SerifItalicBook]	[SerifItalicBook]
	\definefontsynonym [SerifSlantedBook]	[SerifItalicBook]
	\definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalicBook]	[SerifBoldItalicBook]
	\definefontsynonym [SerifBoldSlantedBook]	[SerifBoldItalicBook]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[sans][delicious][name]
	%\setups[font:fallback:sans]
	\definefontsynonym[Sans][Delicious][features=fieefeatures]
	\definefontsynonym[SansItalic][Delicious-Italic][features=fieefeatures]
	\definefontsynonym[SansSlanted][Delicious-Italic][features=fieefeatures]
	\definefontsynonym[SansBold][Delicious-Bold][features=fieefeatures]
	\definefontsynonym[SansBoldItalic][Delicious-BoldItalic][features=fieefeatures]
	\definefontsynonym[SansBoldSlanted][Delicious-BoldItalic][features=fieefeatures]
	\definefontsynonym[SansCaps][Delicious-SmallCaps][features=fieefeatures]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript	[fiee-gendel]
	\definetypeface	[fiee]	[rm]	[serif]	[gentium]	[default]
	\definetypeface	[fiee]	[ss]	[sans]	[delicious]	[default][rscale=0.9]
	\definetypeface	[fiee]	[tt]	[mono]	[default]	[default]
	\definetypeface	[fiee]	[mm]	[math]	[palatino]	[default]
\stoptypescript

* Re: fonts not found
@ 2010-06-27 23:21 ` Ciro
From: Ciro @ 2010-06-27 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Never mind... Problem solved.

I re-installed everything and my fonts are recognized with no problem.
thank you
Ciro

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 12:49 PM, Ciro <ciro@kavyata.com> wrote:
> Ok ,  I changed the subject:
>
> I just installed ConTeXt minimals, but my fonts are not found now:
>
>  "define fonts    > font with name Barnard-Oblique is not found"
>
>  font files are there, but some how context can't see them.
>
>  I ran "context --generate" and got lines like this:
>
>  MTXrun | resolvers: not saving runtime tree
>  'tree:////home/ciro/context/tex/texmf-fonts'
>  MTXrun | resolvers: not saving runtime tree
>  'tree:////home/ciro/context/tex/texmf-local'
>  MTXrun | resolvers: not saving runtime tree
>  'tree:////home/ciro/context/tex/texmf-linux'
>  MTXrun | resolvers: not saving runtime tree
>  'tree:////home/ciro/context/tex/texmf-context
>

>  and also ran "mtxrun --script fonts --reload" and got lines like this:
>
>  MTXrun | fontnames: scanning /home/ciro/context/tex/texmf for AFM files
>  MTXrun | fontnames: 3323 entries found, 0 AFM files checked, 0 okay
>
>  MTXrun | fontnames: globbing path /home/ciro/.fonts/**.ttf
>  MTXrun | fontnames: identifying system font files with suffix TTF
>  MTXrun | fontnames: globbing path /home/ciro/.fonts/**.TTF
>  MTXrun | fontnames: 639 system files identified, 39 skipped, 39
>  duplicates, 600 hash entries added
>
> My fonts are in $HOME/.fonts  (lunix/ubuntu)
>
> I don't use typescripts. I use
>
> \definefontsynonym [baob] [file:Barnard-Oblique] [features=default]
>
>  what should I do?
>
>  thank you
>  Ciro

* fonts not found