* RE: no tif?
@ 2001-02-14 14:03 White, George
From: White, George @ 2001-02-14 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

It is relatively non-informative to say "pdftex supports format XXX".  About
all
you can say is that a specific image worked with pdftex on a specific
platform.
Also, what "works" for one person may be unnacceptable to another
(e.g., color shifts).

EPS, TIF(F), and PNG, are umbrellas that cover a vast range of
actual contents.  To use a particular format with pdftex you have to
first make sure that the support was compiled in, and then that the
library you used is compatible with the particular file you happen to have.
With EPS you may not see the problem until you render the PS file.
The free libraries for TIFF, PNG, and JPEG have had bugs (some
provided by the system libraries they use) and often support a fraction
of the possibilities for a given format.  One many systems, ImageMagick
and gimp will use the same libraries that pdftex employs, so it can be
helpful to
a) check that you can view a troublesome image with either of those
applications
before blaming pdftex and b) try converting to another format (although each
format does have advantages for specific situations).

There is a sample pdftex file that uses plain TeX and embeds some images.
It would be useful to expand this document by adding a larger range
of test images that people could use to verify the functionality of their
basic
pdftex installation.

* Re: no tif?
@ 2001-02-14 14:41 ` Han The Thanh
From: Han The Thanh @ 2001-02-14 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

tif support is included implicitly from version 0.14f, as I wish to make
the life of the maintainers easier (in the first place Fabrice). But I have
to admit that I am not entirely happy with my decision to support tif.

Thanh

* Re: no tif?
@ 2001-02-14  8:31       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-02-14  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 01:37 AM 2/14/01 +0100, Uwe Koloska wrote:
>Hello,
>
>You wrote on Dienstag, 13. Februar 2001 18:13:
>>> [tif problems with context and pdftex]
>>
>>when pdftex is used, context does not use texutil.
>>
>>tif support in pdftex is not always compiled into the binary so i disabled
>>it in context, also because not all tif formats are supported [actually,
>>pdf does not support tiff, but some tiff compression schemes]. Png is a
>>better format.
>
>Ahh!  So to make it clear I changed the table from the manual:
>
>           eps  pdf  mps  tif  png  jpg  mov
>dvips       +    -    +    -    -    -    +
>dvipsone    +    -    +    +    -    -    +
>pdftex      -    +    +    -    +    -?   +
>
>what about jpg and pdftex??

pdftex supports jpg

>And I don't have to use "texutil --figures" if I use pdftex, right?

right, context will parse eps/mps anyway, and when using pdftex, not parse
at all;

when you have 100 Gig figures and want to run on another machine, you can
generate a tuf file (texutil --fig) and move that to the other machine

(did you ever try: texexec --fig --pdf fig-*.* or alike?)

also, when needed context can run texutil itself (if enabled)

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: no tif?
@ 2001-02-14  0:37     ` Uwe Koloska
From: Uwe Koloska @ 2001-02-14  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2001-02-13 17:13   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-02-13 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

@ 2001-02-13 17:00 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2001-02-13 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Uwe Koloska wrote:

> Hello,
>
> the manual states that pdftex / context supports pdf, metapost, tif, png,
> jpg, mov.  But I was not able to include a tif picture

> What's wrong with tif input?

Probably a different kind of tif image. texutil does not support all
tiff
subtypes. I discovered this some time ago, and I used to have a fix but
lost it somewhere. (technical: not all Tiffs have Tag 42).

--
groeten,

Taco

* no tif?
@ 2001-02-13 14:54 Uwe Koloska
From: Uwe Koloska @ 2001-02-13 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

the manual states that pdftex / context supports pdf, metapost, tif, png,
jpg, mov.  But I was not able to include a tif picture

\useexternalfigure [steuerpult] [steuerpult.tif]

\starttext
\externalfigure[steuerpult]
\stoptext

gives

systems        : begin file simple-tif at line 3
figures        : figure ./steuerpult.tif has zero dimensions
(./texutil.tuf)
figures        : figure ./steuerpult.tif has zero dimensions
figures        : dimensions of ./steuerpult.tif loaded from figurefile
itself

and there is no figure in the resulting pdf

the texutil.tuf has
  \presetfigure[steuerpult.tif][e=tif,w=21.675cm,h=16.256cm,s=105105]
the same file as png
  \presetfigure[steuerpult.png][e=png,w=0.204cm,h=0.163cm,s=28187]

so if I discard the extension, the png file was properly included ...

if I rename steuerpult.tif to steuerpult2.tif run
  texutil --figures *.tif *.png
and use the line
  \useexternalfigure [steuerpult] [steuerpult2]

the result is

systems        : begin file simple-tif at line 3
(./texutil.tuf) (/home/koloska/texmf/tex/bilder/texutil.tuf) (./texutil.tuf)
(/home/koloska/texmf/tex/bilder/texutil.tuf) (./texutil.tuf)
(/home/koloska/texmf/tex/bilder/texutil.tuf) (./texutil.tuf)
(/home/koloska/texmf/tex/bilder/texutil.tuf) (./texutil.tuf)
(/home/koloska/texmf/tex/bilder/texutil.tuf) (./texutil.tuf)
(/home/koloska/texmf/tex/bilder/texutil.tuf) (./texutil.tuf)
(/home/koloska/texmf/tex/bilder/texutil.tuf) (./texutil.tuf)
(/home/koloska/texmf/tex/bilder/texutil.tuf) (./texutil.tuf)
(/home/koloska/texmf/tex/bilder/texutil.tuf) (./texutil.tuf)
(/home/koloska/texmf/tex/bilder/texutil.tuf)
figures        : figure steuerpult2 can not be found

What's wrong with tif input?

Uwe