* Numbers in heads and captions
@ 2001-02-20 19:02 Albrecht Kauffmann
From: Albrecht Kauffmann @ 2001-02-20 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I have several problems to set the numbers in heads and captions in my own
way. First, I want to set the numbers of subsubsections in the text and
maybe also in the toc as characters with a right parenthesis, e.g.

a) Unterabschnitt

How to say ConTeXt to set the right parenthesis?

Second, I want to count the Figures from 1 to n in my paper. But ConTeXt
renews the counter chapterwise and produces a counter
"chapternumber.figurenumber", e.g. for the fifth figure in the paper
instead Fig. 5 I get Fig. B.3 (because it's the third figure in Chapter
B). How to switch off this feature to get simple numbers?

Third, I want after the fig-numbers in the captions (only in the captions)
a dot "." or a colon ":", this colon is, of course, not permitted in a
reference related to the figure in the text like \in[ref]. This would
happen if we define a conversion for the captions with dot or colon. How
to instruct ConTeXt to handle the captionnumbers in the desired way?

With greetings and many thanks in advance for any hint

Albrecht

* Re: Numbers in heads and captions
@ 2001-02-21  1:46 ` Uwe Koloska
From: Uwe Koloska @ 2001-02-21  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

You wrote on Dienstag, 20. Februar 2001 20:02:
>I have several problems to set the numbers in heads and captions in my own
>way.

I managed to find the answers by reading the manual and my archive of this
list -- so if you know what to look for, you could do so too!

>First, I want to set the numbers of subsubsections in the text and
>maybe also in the toc as characters with a right parenthesis, e.g.
>
>a) Unterabschnitt
>
>How to say ConTeXt to set the right parenthesis?

This is easy:
  \def\myHead#1{#1)}
  \setuphead[section][command=\myHead]

>Second, I want to count the Figures from 1 to n in my paper. But ConTeXt
>renews the counter chapterwise and produces a counter
>"chapternumber.figurenumber", e.g. for the fifth figure in the paper
>instead Fig. 5 I get Fig. B.3 (because it's the third figure in Chapter
>B). How to switch off this feature to get simple numbers?

another easy one:
  \setupcaptions[way=bytext]

>Third, I want after the fig-numbers in the captions (only in the captions)
>a dot "." or a colon ":", this colon is, of course, not permitted in a
>reference related to the figure in the text like \in[ref]. This would
>happen if we define a conversion for the captions with dot or colon. How
>to instruct ConTeXt to handle the captionnumbers in the desired way?

I don't know the answer to this one.  Unfortunately there is no
numbercommand for \setupcations ...

Here is a small document, that shows the above in use:

\setuppapersize
  [S6][S6]

\setupsection[section-3][conversion=character]
\def\myHead#1{#1)}
\setuphead[section][command=\myHead]

\startsectionblockenvironment [bodypart]
  \setupcaptions[way=bytext]
\stopsectionblockenvironment

\startsectionblockenvironment [appendix]
  \setupcaptions[way=bysection]
\stopsectionblockenvironment

\starttext

\startbodymatter
  \section{test} \placefigure{}{}
  \section{Eins}
  \section{Zwei}
\stopbodymatter

\startappendices
  \section{test} \placefigure{}{}
\stopappendices

\stoptext

Yours
Uwe

--
mailto:koloska@rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de
http://rcswww.urz.tu-dresden.de/~koloska/

* Re: Numbers in heads and captions
@ 2001-02-21 16:40 ` James Ramsey
From: James Ramsey @ 2001-02-21 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

--- Albrecht Kauffmann <kauffmann@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
wrote:
> Hi all,

> Third, I want after the fig-numbers in the captions
> (only in the captions)
> a dot "." or a colon ":", this colon is, of course,
> not permitted in a
> reference related to the figure in the text like
> \in[ref]. This would
> happen if we define a conversion for the captions
> with dot or colon. How
> to instruct ConTeXt to handle the captionnumbers in
> the desired way?

The only way that I know how to do so is

\let\floatcaptionsuffix=. %for the dot at the end

or

\let\floatcaptionsuffix=: %for the colon at the end

This, AFAIK, is not documented (at least not in
English, may be in the Dutch manual). I figured it out
from "grep"-ing through the ConTeXt source for
"caption". I don't know if \floatcaptionsuffix was
intended to be used in ConTeXt documents or not.

=====

----I am a fool for Christ. Mostly I am a fool.----

* Re: Numbers in heads and captions
@ 2001-02-23 10:08   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-02-23 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 08:40 AM 2/21/01 -0800, James Ramsey wrote:

>--- Albrecht Kauffmann <kauffmann@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
>wrote:
>> Hi all,
>
>> Third, I want after the fig-numbers in the captions
>> (only in the captions)
>> a dot "." or a colon ":", this colon is, of course,
>> not permitted in a
>> reference related to the figure in the text like
>> \in[ref]. This would
>> happen if we define a conversion for the captions
>> with dot or colon. How
>> to instruct ConTeXt to handle the captionnumbers in
>> the desired way?
>
>The only way that I know how to do so is
>
>\let\floatcaptionsuffix=. %for the dot at the end
>
>or
>
>\let\floatcaptionsuffix=: %for the colon at the end
>
>This, AFAIK, is not documented (at least not in

Hm. I have no problems with that hack, but it should be a proper option
some day. A grep shows me that it's also used in one of my 'nice ideas that
some day should be impelemented'-files. mea culpa

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Numbers in heads and captions
@ 2001-02-23 16:28     ` James Ramsey
From: James Ramsey @ 2001-02-23 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

--- Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> At 08:40 AM 2/21/01 -0800, James Ramsey wrote:
> >The only way that I know how to do so is
> >
> >\let\floatcaptionsuffix=. %for the dot at the end
> >
> >or
> >
> >\let\floatcaptionsuffix=: %for the colon at the end
> >
> >This, AFAIK, is not documented (at least not in
>
> Hm. I have no problems with that hack, but it should
> be a proper option
> some day. A grep shows me that it's also used in one
> of my 'nice ideas that
> some day should be impelemented'-files. mea culpa

I hope that when you get around to making it a proper
option that you also allow the space after the caption
suffix to be adjustable.

Well, at least the hack is there.

=====

@ 2001-02-21 18:20   ` Ed L Cashin
From: Ed L Cashin @ 2001-02-21 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Berend de Boer <berend@pobox.com> writes:

> Albrecht Kauffmann wrote:
>

> > many thanks for your quite answer. I have a question to the documentation
> > you have mentioned. What for documentation with chapter 8.3 do you mean,
> > and how to get it? I
> > have only the beta-chapters, and part 8 are language specific issues. Is
> > there a documentation as a book?
>
> Here is the one optimized for the screen:
>
> 	http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/beta/cont-eni.pdf

I've been using an older version of that manual.  The new one looks
great!  And the UI is nice.

--
--Ed Cashin                    integrit file verification system
  ecashin@coe.uga.edu          http://integrit.sourceforge.net/

* Re: Numbers in heads and captions
       [not found] <Pine.LNX.4.10.10102202313200.3093-100000@erde.kosmos.all>
@ 2001-02-21  7:04 ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2001-02-21  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Albrecht Kauffmann wrote:

> many thanks for your quite answer. I have a question to the documentation
> you have mentioned. What for documentation with chapter 8.3 do you mean,
> and how to get it? I
> have only the beta-chapters, and part 8 are language specific issues. Is
> there a documentation as a book?

Here is the one optimized for the screen:

	http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/beta/cont-eni.pdf

And here the one optimized for paper

	http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/beta/cont-enp.pdf

Most questions are clearly explained in the manuals. There could be some
more info on all the options, but alas.

Groetjes,

Berend. (-: