From: Patrick Gundlach <gundlach@irb.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
Subject: smallest possible testfile for mpgraph-error?
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 12:02:04 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi,

perhaps I have found a small testfile:

simple.mp:
------------------------------
beginfig(1);
draw btex hello world etex;
endfig;
------------------------------

using texexec with --mptex option.

if I say \protectbufferstrue in cont-sys.tex a simple.1 is
created. (texexec --mptex simple.mp)

if I do not say \protectbufferstrue in cont-sys.tex, simple.1 is
still created, but also (!!) a file called mpgraph.mp with the
following content:
------------------------------
end.
------------------------------
(one line)

Now I rename simple.mp to mpgraph.mp:

with \protectbufferstrue, mpgraph.1 is ok.

without \protectbufferstrue, no mpgraph.1 is created,
mpgraph.log is the following:
-------------------------------
This is MetaPost, Version 0.641 (Web2C 7.3.1) (mem=metafun 2001.2.19)  19 FEB 2001 13:00
**&metafun mpgraph
(mpgraph.mp )
-------------------------------
and mpgraph.mp seems to be the original (but it isn't!!):
-------------------------------
beginfig(1);
draw btex hello world etex;
endfig;
-------------------------------

This is what happens: ( no \protectbufferstrue, mpgraph.mp
)

mpgraph.mp has been renamed to tmpgraph.kep, then overwritten by
something (this I dont know, probably the same as above
(beginfig(1)...)  + "end.").
Then mpto opens mpgraph.mp (55 bytes), writes it to tmpgraph.tex). Then \\end is appended to tmpgraph.tex.
After that, pdftex is called to create tmpgraph.dvi (208 bytes).
!! But just before creating the dvi
file, mpgraph.mp gets overwritten with a single
"end." line.
Then dvitomp is called with arguments tmpgraph.dvi and
mpgraph.mpx (looks ok, 448 bytes). Then texexec removes the
tmpgraph.dvi and tmpgraph.tex. Now mpost is invoked and sees
only the mpgraph.mp which has only the line "end.".

And so on. If anyone needs the strace output, mail me again.

Viele Gruesse,

  Patrick Gundlach