From: Joop Susan <jgsusan@xs4all.nl>
Cc: "ntg-context" <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
Subject: Re: Overlays...
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 00:21:12 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Hans,

You wrote:
> At 11:28 PM 3/20/01 +0100, Joop Susan wrote:
> >
> >Hello,
> >
> >I have a document with different backgrounds (external PDFs) for even and
> >odd pages.
> >
> >I have found how to get the right background on the right page.
> >
> >\defineoverlay
> >    [papier]
> >    [{\ifodd\realpageno {\externalfigure[voorkant][width=\overlaywidth,heig
> >ht=\overlayheight]}
> >     \else {\externalfigure[achterkant][width=\overlaywidth,height=\overlay
> >height]}
> >     \fi}]
> >
> >My problem is that the different backgrounds require setting a different
> >topspace and height for the page.
> >
> >My question: Where can I place the different setuplayout[topspace=..,height
> >=..] commands so the are evaluated again for every page (different for
> >even and odd pages)?
>
> You can use:
>
> \setupbackgrounds
>   [leftpage]
>   [background=LeftPage]
>
> \defineoverlay
>   [LeftPage]
>   [\vbox to \overlayheight
>      {\vskip 1.23cm
>       \externalfigure[...][]}]
>
> and alike, so: put the fig in a box [watch the leftpage/rightpage option,
> it saves you some if's]

Sorry Hans, This does not give the desired effect.

The right page has a Big header, actually filled in with an other MP
overlay for a lot of fixed information and a footer. The overlays are
realy full A4 scans of some form that I cannot recreate in
ConTeXt/MetaFun. That's the real reason for [width=\overlaywidth,height=\ov
erlayheight].

I did not want to push the overlay down the page, which is what your code
does, but I wanted to make the text area smaller (equivalent to the
setuplayout[topspace=...] setting) so text is not set on top of the
background. The left page has a smaller header and a different footer from
the right page.

Basically I wanted to have de topspace set to different values for left
and right page (really back and front of non-arranged A4). I cannot figure
out where to hook in the topspace adjustment. Is there some hook that is
executed for every new page? I do not force the page with \page otherwise
that would be the place...

\defineoverlay
    [vulling]
    [{\ifodd\realpageno {\MPfillin{\overlaywidth}{\overlayheight}}\fi}]

\defineoverlay
    [voorkant]
    [{\externalfigure[voorkant][width=\overlaywidth,height=\overlayheight]}
]

\defineoverlay
    [achterkant]
    [{\externalfigure[achterkant][width=\overlaywidth,height=\overlayheight
]}]

\setupbackgrounds
    [rightpage]
    [background={voorkant,vulling}]

\setupbackgrounds
    [leftpage]
    [background=achterkant]

\setupbackgrounds
    [state=repeat]

How do I get the leftpage and right page to alternate repeatedly? That
last statement is ineffective.

> i'm my local alpha release i have multiple layouts [page dependent] so that
> may be an option for the future

Sounds like THE solution, but I understand that I'll have to wait a bit
longer for that... ;-)

Joop