* Re: French and PS fonts support + migration
@ 2001-08-22 17:27 Damien WYART
From: Damien WYART @ 2001-08-22 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

* "Denis B. Roegel" <Denis.Roegel@loria.fr> [010822 19:08]:

> > I will wait until Denis Roegel is back from USA to talk about all
> > this. I know he has made some code pieces.

> Now, everybody will know where I hide... :-)

Oops ! ;-)

> Actually, I only wrote the rough version of il1 that I submitted to
> Hans. I have really not done anything yet for French.

We'll rediscuss this when you return... I really want to switch to
ConTeXt as soon as possible.
--
Damien

* Re: French and PS fonts support + migration
@ 2001-08-22 17:25       ` Damien WYART
From: Damien WYART @ 2001-08-22 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

@ 2001-08-22 17:08     ` Denis B. Roegel
From: Denis B. Roegel @ 2001-08-22 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context, roegel

> I will wait until Denis Roegel is back from USA to talk about all this.
> I know he has made some code pieces.

Now, everybody will know where I hide... :-)

Actually, I only wrote the rough version of il1 that I submitted
to Hans. I have really not done anything yet for French.

Denis

* Re: French and PS fonts support + migration
@ 2001-08-22 16:13     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-08-22 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 06:00 PM 8/22/2001 +0200, Damien WYART wrote:

> > mm is no problem [using it now in some projects],
>
>But is it supported directly by ConTeXt, or do we have to hack with
>Ghostscript or ATM (a pain when on Unix) as with LaTeX ?

hm. i didn't use atm, just the mmutil stuff is enough; the biggest deal is
the naming

given typeface.tex with lines like:

\starttypescript [sans] [myriad] [name]

   \definefontsynonym [Sans]            [Myriad]
   \definefontsynonym [SansBold]        [MyriadBold]
   \definefontsynonym [SansItalic]      [MyriadItalic]
   \definefontsynonym [SansBoldItalic]  [MyriadBoldItalic]
   \definefontsynonym [SansSlanted]     [MyriadItalic]
   \definefontsynonym [SansBoldSlanted] [MyriadBoldItalic]
   \definefontsynonym [SansCaps]        [Myriad]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [sans] [myriad] [texnansi]

   \definefontsynonym [Myriad]           [myriad-400-600]        [encoding=ec]
   \definefontsynonym [MyriadBold]       [myriad-700-600]        [encoding=ec]
   \definefontsynonym [MyriadItalic]     [myriad-italic-400-600] [encoding=ec]
   \definefontsynonym [MyriadBoldItalic] [myriad-italic-700-600] [encoding=ec]

\stoptypescript

and a document style with:

\usetypescriptfile[typeface]

\definetypeface [mainface] [ss] [sans]  [myriad] [default] [encoding=ec]

should give you

\mainface\ss Multi Mastered Text

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: French and PS fonts support + migration
@ 2001-08-22 16:00   ` Damien WYART
From: Damien WYART @ 2001-08-22 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> [010822 14:28]:

> there is a rough il1 regime now which for most cases should work
> guillemots should not be a problem, but i need to know escapes So, if
> you have input on french, i'll add it asap; the framework is there
> already.

I will wait until Denis Roegel is back from USA to talk about all this.
I know he has made some code pieces.

> fonts are supported, see relatively new manual mfonts.pdf on our site;
> existing fonts should work ok when set up properly, and you can expect
> quite some new font support pretty soon [tested now]; i really want
> users to use the (free) fonts that are around

I am impatient to test these new features !

> mm is no problem [using it now in some projects],

But is it supported directly by ConTeXt, or do we have to hack with
Ghostscript or ATM (a pain when on Unix) as with LaTeX ?

> protruding is supported, and hz will be soon [than is still fixing
> some loose ends]

OK, I look forward testing that too...
--
Damien Wyart

* Re: French and PS fonts support + migration
@ 2001-08-22 12:28 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-08-22 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context, Damien WYART

At 01:40 PM 8/22/2001 +0200, Damien WYART wrote:
>Dear ConTeXt users,
>
>Currently trying to switch from LaTeX to ConTeXt (using mainly
><http://berend.gameren.nl/tex/LaTeX2ConTeXt.pdf>,and some ConTeXt
>docs), I have a few questions :
>
>- I am mainly writing in French ; I think there is no direct support
>   for this language (even in latest beta). If I remember well, Denis
>   Roegel had begun to work on this. Could you tell me the status of
>   French support in ConTeXt ? Are guillemets correctly handled ? If
>   there is no such support, I will not switch at once.

there is a rough il1 regime now which for most cases should work

guillemots should not be a problem, but i need to know escapes

>- I use bibTeX. I got the latest m-bib (june 2001), but I think there
>   were unsolved problems with it ; is this module really usable and
>   maintained ?

both, since taco uses it for typesetting scientific stuff from kluwer; we
will probably add a xml interface later this year, next year

>- I have played a bit with fonts in LaTeX and installed some PS Type1
>   fonts with fontinst (even tried to play MM fonts, but stopped before
>   really making them work). Is this reusable with ConTeXt ? Is there a
>   special installation procedure ?

fonts are supported, see relatively new manual mfonts.pdf on our site;
existing fonts should work ok when set up properly, and you can expect
quite some new font support pretty soon [tested now]; i really want users
to use the (free) fonts that are around

mm is no problem [using it now in some projects], but beware: adob eno
longer supports is [will show up again in open type]

>- I think Thanh's typographical extensions are directly supported in
>   ConTeXt (are they ?). I have not really played with them, due to
>   lack of examples. Could someone provide help about this ?

protruding is supported, and hz will be soon [than is still fixing some
loose ends]; for protruding + examples see mfonts.pdf

>- I think many things have changed in the latest betas. What I would
>   like to have is a test file where I could type in french, with an
>   already installed font (say Adobe Garamond), using maximal refinment
>   from Thanh and bibliograic files. Is it feasible ? It would really
>   make me *want* to switch rapidly from LaTeX.

actually, the biggest change was the new typescript font layer; once
stablem this should give downward compatibility to some of the old font-*
styles, but more important, it will permit pretty hefty mixture of fonts
[due to proper namespace support] and simple definitions with relative
scaling.

@ 2001-08-22 11:40 Damien WYART
From: Damien WYART @ 2001-08-22 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Damien WYART

[...]

Many thanks for helping me having a smooth transition.
--
Damien Wyart