From: Marco Kuhlmann <lists@picoli.com>
Subject: Re: Questions/Comments
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 13:29:18 +0200	[thread overview]

Hans Hagen wrote (2001-09-11 (10:27)):

[concerning the \strut option for \setuppagenumbering]

> it wil go into the next beta.

Great!

> >- Protruding information should be provided for all the different
> >  quotation marks. (I understand that support for protrusion is
> >  in an early state of development.)
>
> indeed, the named ones f possible, any input is welcom

How can I play with different protrusion values? The named
quotation marks are no single characters, but combinations, like

    \def\lowerleftdoubleninequote{,,}

But the protrusion information should be assigned to
characters, right?

> \defineitemize is definitely on the todo list [even mentioned
> in core-itm.tex -)] but i want to combine this with a redo of
> the itemize module [i have a couple of more wishes]

Okay.

[concerning typesetting of versals]

> (3) use a smaller typeface

Thanks, great; that typeface concept is not that bad after all.
:-) Just one problem:

\setupsynonyms
  [acronym]
  [textstyle=versface]

While this works fine in normal text, \subsection{\URL} goes
nuts: It prints out versface instead of using it to switch to
another font. Is this a bug or a feature? :-)

does not yield the desired effect, though:

[concerning abbreviations with colon lookahead]

> This is kind of tricky because capitalizing interferes with
> look ahead. I can consider adding a hook but this is a
> delicate process [not quickly hackable]

I think it would be worth it, though. Not only German is
concerned, and it is much more consistent to be able to type

    We offer foo, bar, baz, \ETC. And gnus.   than
    We offer foo, bar, baz, \ETC  And gnus.

(Using synonyms for \ETC may not seem so interesting, but for
abbreviations like \ZB [zum Beispiel], which comes out as z.B.,
German typography wants a small space after the first colon:

    \abbreviation [ZB] {z.$\,$B.} {zum Beispiel}

Thus, synonyms can be used to guarantee consistent typography.)

[concerning digits]

> the simple digits is on the to do list of language related
> things, but for phone numbers and alike, i need to wrap it
> into a high level interface. no problem, but others must make
> me the lists of conventions -)

Okay, I'll send you the conventions for German.

    Cheers,
    Marco

--
Marco Kuhlmann                             marco.kuhlmann@gmx.net