* Acrobat viewer and A4
@ 2001-09-08 19:49 Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2001-09-08 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I view my document using Acrobat, the footer looks 10mm closer to the bottom of the page than it actually is in print.

Is Acrobat known to be less than accurate in paper proportion or should I look for an explanation elsewhere?

Groet!

Frans

* Re: Acrobat viewer and A4
@ 2001-09-08 20:35 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2001-09-08 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Frans,

> Is Acrobat known to be less than accurate in paper proportion or should I
> look for an explanation elsewhere?

Did you turn off the option 'Fit to Page' in the print dialog box of the
Acrobat Reader? Did you really switch to the a4 papersize in the PageSetup
Dialog Box? I need to do both. The results are very accurate (tested with
the testpage.tex LaTeX file, less than 1mm difference).

--
Viele Grüße,

    Patrick Gundlach

* Re: Acrobat viewer and A4
@ 2001-09-09 11:03   ` Frans Goddijn
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2001-09-09 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Patrick,

> Did you turn off the option
> 'Fit to Page' in the print
> dialog box of the
> Acrobat Reader?

yes, checked, is default on

> Did you really switch to the
> a4 papersize in the PageSetup
> Dialog Box? I need to do both

I need to do this again every time Acrobat starts up. It defaults on
"Letter" paper, the US size. I can't seem to find where to change the
default to A4. If I change it when the document is already on display it
doesn't make a diffrence in the view and there;s no "refresh" screen option
to se the result after these settings have been modified.

I'll get Acrobat reader 5.0 and see what happens. I'm currently on 4.0

Thanks for your feedback!

Frans

* Re: Acrobat viewer and A4
@ 2001-09-09 11:44     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2001-09-09 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallo Frans,

> > Did you turn off the option
> > 'Fit to Page' in the print
> > dialog box of the
> > Acrobat Reader?
>
> yes, checked, is default on

should be off.

> > Did you really switch to the
> > a4 papersize in the PageSetup
> > Dialog Box? I need to do both

> I need to do this again every time Acrobat starts up. It defaults on
> "Letter" paper, the US size. I can't seem to find where to change the
> default to A4. If I change it when the document is already on display it
> doesn't make a diffrence in the view and there;s no "refresh" screen
> option to se the result after these settings have been modified.

I have to switch it every time I start Acrobat, too. But this is not for
display, it is for printing only. As far as I know, there is no option to
set it to a4 as a default. The display size is shown at the bottom of the
acrobat reader (a4 should read 210x297mm).  You might double check this.

> I'll get Acrobat reader 5.0 and see what happens. I'm currently on 4.0

Oh, you are using a win/mac version? I only know the solaris/linux version
of the acrobat reader.

Did you try the testpage.tex latex document with pdflatex? If not, give it
a try and print it out. I think this is really helpful.

Is your printed output scaled or just shifted? What system are you using?

--
Viele Grüße,

    Patrick Gundlach

* Re: Acrobat viewer and A4
@ 2001-09-09 12:02     ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2001-09-09 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

A re-install of my printer drivers and an install of the Acrobat reader 5.0
after deleting 4.0 still gets me the darn "Letter" size by default in
Acrobat. Anyone any idea?

Regards,

Frans

From: Frans Goddijn @ 2001-09-09 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Patrick,

> > yes, checked, is default on
>
> should be off.

Thanks. On 5.0 this is named "shrink to fit" and I turned it off. Will see
what difference it makes in the printing-viewing discrepancy.

> I have to switch it every time I start
> Acrobat, too. But this is not for
> display, it is for printing only. As
> far as I know, there is no option to
> set it to a4 as a default.

That's wildly annoying of Adobe. Do you know if the commercial version is
more flexible? I like to use the Acrobbat for viewing and printing to be
able to forget about how to install a DVI viewer and printer driver for my
lexmark printer. I vaguely recall how cumbersome that was in the pre-4TEX
days and since 4TEX got somewhat obsolete and not replaced by something
equally nice as a shell, I never felt like going back into the trenches to
figure out these command line printer droiver settings, files, PK fonts...
yuck!

> The display size is shown at the bottom
> of the acrobat reader (a4 should read
> 210x297mm).  You might double check this

Tyhanks, I did and changed Acrobat from inches to millimeters

> Oh, you are using a win/mac version?

Yes on my W98 laptop.

> Did you try the testpage.tex latex
> document with pdflatex?

I don't think I have pdflatex, I merely installed FPtex and ConTeXt and I
use ConTeXt for my new documents. I use the old 4TEX version 4 setup on my
desk top PC for tex-files that I haven't converted to ConTeXt yet.

> Is your printed output scaled or just shifted?

It looks perfect, just on screen the page bottom is considerably nearer to
the page number in the footer than on actual paper so far...

> What system are you using?

Windows98, ConTeXt in a FPtex directory structure, is that what you meant to
ask?

Groet!

Frans

* Re: Acrobat viewer and A4
@ 2001-09-09 21:06         ` Tarik Kara
From: Tarik Kara @ 2001-09-09 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 9 Sep 2001, Frans Goddijn wrote:

> > I have to switch it every time I start
> > Acrobat, too. But this is not for
> > display, it is for printing only. As
> > far as I know, there is no option to
> > set it to a4 as a default.

Try changing the printer setup. Under the control panel select printer
then select properties of the printer and change paper size to A4. With
this the default paper size (for the priner) should be A4 for any
application you use. Hope this helps/

Tar{\i}k Kara

* Re: Acrobat viewer and A4
@ 2001-09-10  5:33       ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2001-09-10  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Frans Goddijn" <frans@goddijn.com> writes:

> A re-install of my printer drivers and an install of the Acrobat reader 5.0
> after deleting 4.0 still gets me the darn "Letter" size by default in
> Acrobat. Anyone any idea?

What paper size do you get when you print from other programs, notepad
for example?

--
Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: Acrobat viewer and A4
@ 2001-09-10  9:06           ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2001-09-10  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Tarik for that suggestion! I'd missed out on that menu so far. The
"Lexmark Control Program" didn't have it.

Now, the print and paper setup menu of Acrobat default at A4. Good!

The page number in the footer still looks closer to the paper end on screen
than it is on paper. Will try the same on another printer in 10 days.

Groet, Frans

> Try changing the printer setup. Under the
> control panel select printer then select
> properties of the printer and change paper
> size to A4. With this the default paper
> size (for the priner) should be A4 for any
> application you use. Hope this helps/
>
> Tar{\i}k Kara

* Re: Acrobat viewer and A4
@ 2001-09-10  9:08         ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2001-09-10  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

MED and Notepad default to A4 (that may be due to Tarik's solution).

> What paper size do you get when you print from
> other programs, notepad for example?
> Groetjes,
> Berend. (-:

* Re: Acrobat viewer and A4
@ 2001-09-13 10:46     ` Andreas Kühne
From: Andreas Kühne @ 2001-09-13 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Sonntag, 9. September 2001 13:03 schrieb Frans Goddijn:
[..]
> I need to do this again every time Acrobat starts up. It defaults on
> "Letter" paper, the US size. I can't seem to find where to change the
> default to A4. If I change it when the document is already on display
> it doesn't make a diffrence in the view and there;s no "refresh"
> screen option to se the result after these settings have been
> modified.
[..]
As far as I can find out there is a bug in at least the Linux version
of Acrobat Reader 4.0 (was present in 3.x also).  I dont't know if the
problems reported on Windows here have to do with it (but seems so).
It is even a bit worse as described, because the Page Setup dialog
_does_ remember the paper size, via a "*PaperSize:" entry in ~/.acrorc
- but this affects only the combo box, _not_ the values actually used.
These can still be viewed in the "Dimensions" area in the same dialog
and are always 215.9 x 279.4 (if you use mm as default unit), i.e.
Letter, on startup.  Only if you change them manually or via the combo
box (which requires changing to whatever else and then back to A4) you
get the right values.

This is a bug that should be easily removable but has been there for
several versions over years.  I tried to report it to Adobe some months
ago but gave up after getting lost in their web jungle.  Good example
for the structural inferiority of closed source software, BTW.

Anders