* (newbie): hyphenation/labels
@ 2001-10-30 10:19 alias
From: alias @ 2001-10-30 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

hello all,

I am a graduate student and am a latex user. I try out ConTeXt out of
curiousity. I have read through "latex in proper context" and
"cont-enp.pdf", and have try a few examples. my brief experiences with
ConTeXt have been wonderful. I can basically do 70-80% in ConTeXt what I
normally do in latex. my thanks/congratulation to Han/Pragma/etc. ConTeXt is
simply great.

My problem:

I am using tetex on linux box. I use latex to typeset documents in "malay"
language. two problems accur; labelling and hyphenation. I solve the
labelling problem with these hack;

\setupheadtext[content=Daftar Isi ]
\setuplabeltext[chapter=Bab ]

with respect to hyphenation;

1) can I add "malay" hyphenation to the format? ( the file is inhyphn.tex in
tetex distribution) I realise that context is property of Pragma, and
changing the source is not allowed.

2) if so, a brief how-to would be great. I am familiar on how to generate a
new tex/latex format.

many thanks in advance.

zamri/alias

* Re: (newbie): hyphenation/labels
@ 2001-10-30 12:22 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-10-30 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 06:19 PM 10/30/2001 +0800, alias@sirius.ftsm.ukm.my wrote:

>\setupheadtext[content=Daftar Isi ]
>\setuplabeltext[chapter=Bab ]
>
>with respect to hyphenation;
>
>1) can I add "malay" hyphenation to the format? ( the file is inhyphn.tex in
>tetex distribution) I realise that context is property of Pragma, and
>changing the source is not allowed.
>
>2) if so, a brief how-to would be great. I am familiar on how to generate a
>new tex/latex format.

(1) To what language group does malay belong? This determines the lang-*
file that needs to be extended

(2) What is the language code of malay?

(3) How are the hyphenation patters named?

(4) What labels are to be defined?

If I have answers to this, I can add malay support rather fast, generating
a format is then done by:

   texexec --lang=ml,en  en

(for an english format with ml patterns)

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: (newbie): hyphenation/labels
@ 2001-10-31  4:30   ` alias
From: alias @ 2001-10-31  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 01:22:03PM +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:

> (1) To what language group does malay belong? This determines the lang-*
> file that needs to be extended

"malay" use the normal a,b,c,d,....,z. there is no special char/shape exist.

> (2) What is the language code of malay?

malay is used in Malaysia and Indonesia. from
http://www.loc.gov/marc/languages/, I have;

Malay 	   [may]

>From http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/iso639a.html, I have

language       code    language family
--------       ----    ---------------
MALAY	       MS      OCEANIC/INDONESIAN

> (3) How are the hyphenation patters named?

in babel, it is /usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/inhyph.tex. small, just
3.2k file.

> (4) What labels are to be defined?

using the standard english->malay dictionary, (use names from babel's
bahasa.ldf and lang-ger.tex). Some of it probably irrelevant.;

preface -> pendahuluan
reference -> rujukan
abstract -> abstrak
bibliography -> bibliografi
chapter -> bab
appendix -> lampiran
contents -> kandungan
list of figures -> senarai rajah
list of tables -> senarai jadual
abbreviation -> penyingkatan
graphics -> grafik
unit -> unit
line -> baris
paragraph -> perenggan
index -> indeks
figure -> rajah
table -> jadual
part -> bahagian
page -> halaman
see -> lihat
proof -> bukti

months;
       january -> januari
       february -> februari
       march -> mac
       april -> april
       may -> mei
       june -> jun
       july -> julai
       august -> ogos
       september -> september
       october -> oktober
       november -> november
       december -> disember

days;
     sunday -> ahad
     monday -> isnin
     tuesday -> selasa
     wednesday -> rabu
     thursday -> khamis
     friday -> jumaat
     saturday -> sabtu

many many thanks in advance.

alias/zamri

> If I have answers to this, I can add malay support rather fast, generating
> a format is then done by:
>
>    texexec --lang=ml,en  en
>
> (for an english format with ml patterns)
>
> Hans

>                                    Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
>                        Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
>   tel: +31 (0)38 477 53 69 | fax: +31 (0)38 477 53 74 | www.pragma-ade.com

---end quoted text---