* How powerful is mp?
@ 2001-11-07 12:30 Marco Kuhlmann
From: Marco Kuhlmann @ 2001-11-07 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Dear list,

I am currently re-considering my policy regarding graphics, and
would like to have your advice.

Up to now, I am using the Functional MetaPost (FMP) front-end
to MP, which is quite nice if you want to draw trees according
to the generic algorithm proposed by Kennedy (see the paper at
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/kennedy96drawing.html). Well, to be
honest: it is mostly therefore that I use FMP. :-)

Now my question: Do you think that one can actually write a
program in MP/ConTeXt directly that implements Kennedy's
algorithm? It should take a structural description of a tree as
input (XML seems to be a good choice for the format here) and
produce a drawing of the tree as output. The tree structure
should be placeable inside a ConTeXt document.

Using FMP, the necessary calculations are done in beforehand,
and MP already gets the exact measures (distances between
nodes, levels etc). This additional algorithmical level I have
considered as one of the major advantages of FMP. On the other
hand, it needs to be run separately.

    Cheers,
    Marco

--