* Re: Fatal format file error; I'm stymied
@ 2001-11-08 14:56 Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2001-11-08 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

good,

so what happens if you run

pdfetex

and then type &cont-en  after the prompt **

???

Viele Grüße,

  Patrick Gundlach

* Fatal format file error; I'm stymied
@ 2007-11-02  2:38 Ernesto Schirmacher
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Ernesto Schirmacher @ 2007-11-02  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

After many years as a LaTeX user I'm attempting to switch over to ConTeXt.

I recently upgraded my operating system to Ubuntu 7.10 (on an AMD64 machine) and got the TeXLive and ConTeXt packages from the Ubuntu repositories.  I tried compiling a very simple document:

\starttext

Hello this is \ConTeXt.

\stoptext

using the command: texexec simple.tex and got the following output on my terminal:

TeXExec | processing document 'simple.tex'
TeXExec | no ctx file found
TeXExec | tex processing method: context
TeXExec | TeX run 1
TeXExec | writing option file simple.top
TeXExec | using randomseed 898
TeXExec | tex engine: pdftex
TeXExec | tex format: cont-en
This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
%$-line parsing enabled.
(/usr/share/texmf/web2c/natural.tcx)
---! cont-en.fmt was written by pdfetex
(Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)
TeXExec | runtime: 0.177424

Clearly something is not working properly and I suspect the incompatibility between
   This is pdfTeXk...
and
   ---! cont-en.fmt was written by pdfetex
is the source of all trouble here.

Could someone please point me in the right direction to resolve this?

Thanks in advance,

Ernesto

[parent not found: <5.1.0.14.1.20011108160724.03e9a9a0@server-1>]
* Re: Fatal format file error; I'm stymied
@ 2001-11-08 15:41 Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2001-11-08 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

> This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-13d-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.1) (format=cont-en 2001.11.8)  8 NOV 2001 15:51

did you really run pdfetex and not cont-en or texexec???

Viele Grüße,

  Patrick Gundlach

* Re: Fatal format file error; I'm stymied
@ 2001-11-08 14:31 Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2001-11-08 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hi,

more interesting is if TeX knows about the cont-en.efmt.

so what is the output of

kpsewhich cont-en.efmt

Viele Grüße,

  Patrick Gundlach

* Re: Fatal format file error; I'm stymied
@ 2001-11-08 14:15 Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2001-11-08 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Ok, were getting closer...

> it says the path
> .:!!/.../teTeX/share/texmf/web2c
>
> (of course, the ... was written by me now)

so put the cont-en.fmt and cont-en.efmt  (or, depending on your
language cont-cz.eftm, cont-cz.fmt if I am right) into this
directory and update the search path with texhash. (Do you have
write permissions for that directory?)

Then, do a

kpsewhich cont-en.efmt

(or whatever format you have copied.)
is it in the same path as you have described?

Viele Grüße,

  Patrick Gundlach

- I TeX, therefore I am -

* Re: Fatal format file error; I'm stymied
@ 2001-11-08 10:39 Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2001-11-08 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

so what does

kpsepath fmt

say??

Viele Grüße,

  Patrick Gundlach

* Fatal format file error; I'm stymied
@ 2001-11-07 18:35 Lukas Kubin
From: Lukas Kubin @ 2001-11-07 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm getting this error when trying to compile any ConTeXt document. Since
I am using an alpha with tru64unix I had to choose the old tetex1.0
binaries of tex. Then I upgraded to the latest ConTeXt beta and started
getting the error. I tried texconfig confall, texhash, texexec --make but
didn't help.
Does anyone have an advise how to solve this?
Thank you.

Lukas Kubin

This is one more line of the error message:
This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-13d-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.1)

--
Lukas Kubin
lukas.kubin@permonik.com