* new beta
@ 2001-12-03 16:16 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-12-03 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I uploaded a beta (those who reported a broken link: there was currently no
beta; those who expect new setup stuff, this is work in progress, those who
use xml, it's pretty stable now). I may have optimized a bit too much so be
patient with me -)

for those who want to play with transparencies:

\definecolor [halfred] [r=1,t=.5,a=1] should work in acro 5; there are some
12 alternatives (a) and the factor (t) is in the range 0-1

in metafun \MPcolor{red} should work ok, as well as "fill ... withcolor
transparent(1,.5,red)" ;

rgb, cmyk and gray scales are supported; i will also provide massive
transparencies (apart from color) and more optimizes state restoring (pdf
lacks a reset).

Hans

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Transparencies and color spaces (Was: new beta)
@ 2001-12-03 17:28 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2001-12-03 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Montag, 3. Dezember 2001 17:16 schrieb Hans Hagen:
> for those who want to play with transparencies:
> \definecolor [halfred] [r=1,t=.5,a=1] should work in acro 5; there are some
> 12 alternatives (a) and the factor (t) is in the range 0-1

...but don't expect transparencies to be printable!
It is *not* possible, not even with Level-3-RIPs!

> rgb, cmyk and gray scales are supported; i will also provide massive
> transparencies (apart from color) and more optimizes state restoring (pdf
> lacks a reset).

Hm, what about ICC profiles?

Grüßlis vom Hraban!

* Re: Transparencies and color spaces (Was: new beta)
@ 2001-12-04  8:23   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-12-04  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 06:28 PM 12/3/2001 +0100, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>Am Montag, 3. Dezember 2001 17:16 schrieb Hans Hagen:
> > for those who want to play with transparencies:
> > \definecolor [halfred] [r=1,t=.5,a=1] should work in acro 5; there are some
> > 12 alternatives (a) and the factor (t) is in the range 0-1
>
>...but don't expect transparencies to be printable!
>It is *not* possible, not even with Level-3-RIPs!

hm, they do print here, but acrobat sends it in a special way; it prints on
the fierry rip (color printer) (actually, the only thing that the fierry
screws up are normal lines); the level 2 b/w printer does not show them
(yet).

there is always the "print as image" option which generally leads to better
results anyway

> > rgb, cmyk and gray scales are supported; i will also provide massive
> > transparencies (apart from color) and more optimizes state restoring (pdf
> > lacks a reset).
>
>Hm, what about ICC profiles?

i never looked into that (don't even know what they are)

@ 2001-12-04 20:15     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2001-12-04 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Dienstag, 4. Dezember 2001 09:23 schrieb Hans Hagen:
> >...but don't expect transparencies to be printable!
> hm, they do print here, but acrobat sends it in a special way; it prints on
> the fierry rip (color printer) (actually, the only thing that the fierry
> there is always the "print as image" option which generally leads to better
> results anyway

Ok, may be - Stephan Jaeggi (alias 'PDF-Pope') said it would not be possible.
I remember he showed several possibilities for "breaking" real transparent
objects into little none-transparent objects (like Freehand does
"transparencies").
Maybe this "breaking" is always done while printing from Acrobat. Must have a
look at Acrobat 5...

> > > rgb, cmyk and gray scales are supported; i will also provide massive
> > > transparencies (apart from color) and more optimizes state restoring
> > > (pdf lacks a reset).
> >Hm, what about ICC profiles?
> i never looked into that (don't even know what they are)

Should I look after the specs? I think I collected enough material on our
docs server at work. Color Management is 'a bit' complicated...
I think, the only thing ConTeXt must do is not to touch an embedded profile
of an PDF picture - and that's already the case, AFAIK.
Ok, and the Lab color space should be supported.

@ 2001-12-05  8:36       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-12-05  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 09:15 PM 12/4/2001 +0100, you wrote:

>Maybe this "breaking" is always done while printing from Acrobat. Must have a
>look at Acrobat 5...

there is a complicated model in acrobat for grouping; in practice one can
forget about much in the pdf specs since the complicated graphics will be
made by dedicated programs; in tex/mp we only have to support what is used
and useful.

> > >Hm, what about ICC profiles?
> > i never looked into that (don't even know what they are)
>
>Should I look after the specs? I think I collected enough material on our
>docs server at work. Color Management is 'a bit' complicated...
>I think, the only thing ConTeXt must do is not to touch an embedded profile
>of an PDF picture - and that's already the case, AFAIK.

indeed

>Ok, and the Lab color space should be supported.

should be possible [never used lab colors] once understood; mainly a matter
of resource management;

@ 2001-12-05 19:28         ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2001-12-05 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Mittwoch, 5. Dezember 2001 09:36 schrieb Hans Hagen:
> >Ok, and the Lab color space should be supported.
> should be possible [never used lab colors] once understood; mainly a matter
> of resource management;

Should be no problem - three parameters like RGB...
Nobody works directly with Lab colors, I presume. But because you can exactly
define your colors this way (device independent), it's the space of choice
for color management. (Not that I would need it at the moment...)

Grüßlis vom Hraban!