* DocBook
@ 2001-12-05 18:21 Lukas Kubin
From: Lukas Kubin @ 2001-12-05 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is anybody working on DocBook support in ConTeXt?

lukas

--
Lukas Kubin
lukas.kubin@permonik.com

* Re: DocBook
@ 2001-12-05 19:36 ` Marco Kuhlmann
From: Marco Kuhlmann @ 2001-12-05 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lukas Kubin wrote (2001-12-05 (19:21)):

> Is anybody working on DocBook support in ConTeXt?

No, not yet. But I definitely need it. Perhaps we can unite?
With the enhanced XML support of ConTeXt, a ConTeXt interface
for DocBook does not seem totally out of reach. :-)

    Marco

--
Marco Kuhlmann                             marco.kuhlmann@gmx.net

* Re: DocBook
@ 2001-12-05 20:13   ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2001-12-05 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Marco Kuhlmann <marco.kuhlmann@gmx.net> writes:

> > Is anybody working on DocBook support in ConTeXt?
>
> No, not yet. But I definitely need it. Perhaps we can unite?

Me too.

> With the enhanced XML support of ConTeXt, a ConTeXt interface
> for DocBook does not seem totally out of reach. :-)

Just my idea.

--
Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: DocBook
@ 2001-12-30 11:26     ` Simon Pepping
From: Simon Pepping @ 2001-12-30 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 00:01:49AM +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Concerning docbook ... i must admit that i have the book here but never
> looked into it. Supporting such a (big) dtd is possible, but i think we
> must implement it stepwise. better here and there extend context than start
> hacking around. So, if those interested want to make a start .... i can
> always clean up the code afterwards -)

The idea has crossed my mind as well. Docbook has become the standard
for all sorts of technical documentation, and it would be nice if such
documentation could be formatted using Context. But it is a huge
undertaking indeed. One should start on a subset, there should be
agreement on which subset, and one should be prepared for a long
lasting project.

In a sense it would be a duplication of the XSLT stylesheets for
docbook. An alternative is implementing FOs in Context, which would
work for any DTD.

--
Simon Pepping
email: spepping@scaprea.hobby.nl

* Re: DocBook
@ 2002-01-01 12:22       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-01 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 12:26 PM 12/30/2001 +0100, Simon Pepping wrote:

> > > No, not yet. But I definitely need it. Perhaps we can unite?
> >
> > Me too.
> >

> > > With the enhanced XML support of ConTeXt, a ConTeXt interface
> > > for DocBook does not seem totally out of reach. :-)
> >
> > Just my idea.
> >
>On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 00:01:49AM +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:
> > Concerning docbook ... i must admit that i have the book here but never
> > looked into it. Supporting such a (big) dtd is possible, but i think we
> > must implement it stepwise. better here and there extend context than
> start
> > hacking around. So, if those interested want to make a start .... i can
> > always clean up the code afterwards -)
>
>The idea has crossed my mind as well. Docbook has become the standard
>for all sorts of technical documentation, and it would be nice if such
>documentation could be formatted using Context. But it is a huge
>undertaking indeed. One should start on a subset, there should be
>agreement on which subset, and one should be prepared for a long
>lasting project.

starting from a subset is doable; is there such a subset known? a quick
look into the oreilly's docbook book shows a lot of (probably never used)
stuff,

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: DocBook
@ 2002-01-02 20:36         ` Simon Pepping
From: Simon Pepping @ 2002-01-02 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 01:22:03PM +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:
> At 12:26 PM 12/30/2001 +0100, Simon Pepping wrote:
> >The idea has crossed my mind as well. Docbook has become the standard
> >for all sorts of technical documentation, and it would be nice if such
> >documentation could be formatted using Context. But it is a huge
> >undertaking indeed. One should start on a subset, there should be
> >agreement on which subset, and one should be prepared for a long
> >lasting project.
>
> starting from a subset is doable; is there such a subset known? a quick
> look into the oreilly's docbook book shows a lot of (probably never used)
> stuff,

Not really. I guess article and book as document element are most
popular. But beyond that one has to make a choice which elements are
most relevant. There are indeed many elements which seem only useful
in exceptional cases.

I am currently getting some practice with XML in Context by creating a
mapping for a DocBook file by myself. Until now it is surprisingly
easy. The XML interface works fine. I guess it will become more
difficult if one needs to account for elements whose presence or
absence influences the layout.

Perhaps it would be best to take a number of existing DocBook
documentation files and construct a mapping that works for all of
them. That would give a mapping that might work for many elements and
that could be expanded gradually.

Simon

--

@ 2002-01-03 22:42         ` Matthias Klose
From: Matthias Klose @ 2002-01-03 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Simon Pepping, ntg-context

Hans Hagen writes:
> starting from a subset is doable; is there such a subset known? a quick
> look into the oreilly's docbook book shows a lot of (probably never used)
> stuff,

There is.

docbook-xml-simple - Simplified DocBook XML Doctype and css stylesheets.

This is a small subset of the DocBook XML DTD. It has ~100 elements, rather
than the >300 elements in the full DocBook DTD. A good choice when full
DocBook is overkill.

Author:   Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Homepage: http://nwalsh.com/docbook/simple/

The Simplified DocBook DTD is identified with:

- The public identifier: "-//OASIS//DTD Simplified DocBook XML
  V4.1.2.5//EN", and
- The system identifier:
  "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/simple/4.1.2.5/sdocbook.dtd"

It is composed of 106 elements, 525 entities, and 26 notations.

- 106 elements
- 525 entities
- 302 parameter entities
- 223 general entities
- 26 notations

It claims to be an XML DTD. Element and notation names are case
sensitive. Entity names are case sensitive.

* Re: DocBook
@ 2002-01-04 11:20           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-04 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Simon Pepping, ntg-context

At 11:42 PM 1/3/2002 +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:

>- The system identifier:
>   "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/simple/4.1.2.5/sdocbook.dtd"

ok, i'll have a look at it; i suppose that simon will let me know when he
wants input -)

>It claims to be an XML DTD. Element and notation names are case
>sensitive. Entity names are case sensitive.

BTW, this looks like a nice escape:

<!NOTATION TEXPUBLIC
"+//ISBN 0-201-13448-9::Knuth//NOTATION The TeXbook//EN">

@ 2002-01-06 20:12           ` Simon Pepping
From: Simon Pepping @ 2002-01-06 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 11:42:53PM +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Hans Hagen writes:
> > starting from a subset is doable; is there such a subset known? a quick
> > look into the oreilly's docbook book shows a lot of (probably never used)
> > stuff,
>
> There is.
>
> docbook-xml-simple - Simplified DocBook XML Doctype and css stylesheets.
>
> This is a small subset of the DocBook XML DTD. It has ~100 elements, rather
> than the >300 elements in the full DocBook DTD. A good choice when full
> DocBook is overkill.
>
> Author:   Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
> Homepage: http://nwalsh.com/docbook/simple/
>
> The Simplified DocBook DTD is identified with:
>
> - The public identifier: "-//OASIS//DTD Simplified DocBook XML
>   V4.1.2.5//EN", and
> - The system identifier:
>   "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/simple/4.1.2.5/sdocbook.dtd"
>
> It is composed of 106 elements, 525 entities, and 26 notations.
>
> - 106 elements
> - 525 entities
> - 302 parameter entities
> - 223 general entities
> - 26 notations
>
> It claims to be an XML DTD. Element and notation names are case
> sensitive. Entity names are case sensitive.

That is a good suggestion. I think this subset is also recommended to
HOWTO authors.

Simon

--

@ 2012-12-18 16:15     ` Roger Mason
From: Roger Mason @ 2012-12-18 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Wolfgang, Thomas, Hans,

On 12/18/2012 09:51 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 12/18/2012 12:47 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>>
>> Am 18.12.2012 um 12:31 schrieb Roger Mason <rmason@mun.ca>:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I have a manuscript to review that I have managed to coerce into
>>> DocBook xml.  I'd like to turn it into context so that I can mark it
>>> up in a comfortable environment.  I just tried Simon Pepping's
>>> DocBookInContext package from 2003, but it fails on the provided
>>> test document:
>>>
>>> ! Undefined control sequence.
>>> l.968 \stelsectiein
>>>
>>> pandoc is not an option for me at the moment: I am currently using
>>> Arch Linux and have not been able to get their Haskell installation
>>> to finish successfully.
>>
>> 1. The module uses a mix of english and dutch commands which doesn’t
>> work (maybe it worked when module was written).
>
> That was an experiment by Simon and (in latex style) it overloaded
> quite some low level stuff so it never really worked out well I think.
>
>> 2. The code is outdated, written for MkII and rewrites commands which
>> are already part of the core.
>
> Indeed.
>
> Hans

Thank you for your replies.  The hint given by Thomas was enough to
allow me to get pandoc installed and I now have a workflow that provides
ConTeXt output.

Many thanks.

Roger

http://www.mun.ca/cc/policies/electronic_communications_disclaimer_2012.php

* Re: DocBook
@ 2012-12-18 13:21   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-12-18 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 18.12.2012 um 12:31 schrieb Roger Mason <rmason@mun.ca>:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I have a manuscript to review that I have managed to coerce into DocBook xml.  I'd like to turn it into context so that I can mark it up in a comfortable environment.  I just tried Simon Pepping's DocBookInContext package from 2003, but it fails on the provided test document:
>>
>> ! Undefined control sequence.
>> l.968 \stelsectiein
>>
>> pandoc is not an option for me at the moment: I am currently using Arch Linux and have not been able to get their Haskell installation to finish successfully.
>
> 1. The module uses a mix of english and dutch commands which doesn’t work (maybe it worked when module was written).

That was an experiment by Simon and (in latex style) it overloaded quite
some low level stuff so it never really worked out well I think.

> 2. The code is outdated, written for MkII and rewrites commands which are already part of the core.

Indeed.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: DocBook
@ 2012-12-18 12:30 ` Thomas Weißschuh
From: Thomas Weißschuh @ 2012-12-18 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Roger,

> pandoc is not an option for me at the moment: I am currently using Arch
> Linux and have not been able to get their Haskell installation to finish
> successfully.
Have you tried to use the third party haskell repo?
They provide a precompiled package "haskell-pandoc".

[haskell]
# Arch-Haskell repository
# Discussion: http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/arch-haskell
Server = http://xsounds.org/~haskell/$arch

Regards,
Thomas

* Re: DocBook
@ 2012-12-18 11:47 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-12-18 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 18.12.2012 um 12:31 schrieb Roger Mason <rmason@mun.ca>:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a manuscript to review that I have managed to coerce into DocBook xml.  I'd like to turn it into context so that I can mark it up in a comfortable environment.  I just tried Simon Pepping's DocBookInContext package from 2003, but it fails on the provided test document:
>
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> l.968 \stelsectiein
>
> pandoc is not an option for me at the moment: I am currently using Arch Linux and have not been able to get their Haskell installation to finish successfully.

1. The module uses a mix of english and dutch commands which doesn’t work (maybe it worked when module was written).

2. The code is outdated, written for MkII and rewrites commands which are already part of the core.

When you really want to use DocBook xml with context you have to write your own module, for tables you can use the context module for calls tables.

Wolfgang

* DocBook
@ 2012-12-18 11:31 Roger Mason
From: Roger Mason @ 2012-12-18 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

I have a manuscript to review that I have managed to coerce into DocBook
xml.  I'd like to turn it into context so that I can mark it up in a
comfortable environment.  I just tried Simon Pepping's DocBookInContext
package from 2003, but it fails on the provided test document:

! Undefined control sequence.
l.968 \stelsectiein

pandoc is not an option for me at the moment: I am currently using Arch
Linux and have not been able to get their Haskell installation to finish
successfully.

Thanks for any ideas.

Roger

http://www.mun.ca/cc/policies/electronic_communications_disclaimer_2012.php

* docbook
       [not found] <200201211101.MAA17323@smail.let.uu.nl>
@ 2002-01-21 20:58 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-21 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Jaroslav Snajdr, spepping

[simon: this is another docbook example]

[non member submission, pleas use registered address]

>Hello,
>
>I'm typesetting a Docbook document with ConTeXt and I cannot get it to
>typeset the index correctly. The index is generated automatically with
>this code:
>
>\defineXMLenvironment[book]{\starttext}{\completeindex\stoptext}
>
>\defineXMLargument[indexterm]{\index}
>\defineXMLcommand[primary]{}
>\defineXMLcommand[secondary]{+}
>
>Index entries in DocBook are coded through the text as:

>or

since you need to distinguish between primary and secondary index entries,
you can best save/flush them, as in:

\defineXMLenvironment [book]
   {\starttext}
   {\placeindex
    \stoptext}

\defineXMLenvironment [indexterm]
   {\defineXMLenvironmentsave[primary]   \ignorespaces \ignorespaces
    \defineXMLenvironmentsave[secondary] \ignorespaces \ignorespaces}
   {\doifelseXMLdata{secondary}
      {\expanded{\index{\XMLflushdata{primary}+\XMLflushdata{secondary}}}}
      {\expanded{\index{\XMLflushdata{primary}}}}}

\enableXMLelements

<book>
   animals </indexterm> as well as secondary<indexterm>
   </indexterm> ones, at least in the Czech republic.
</book>

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
                                   fall-back web server:
www.pragma-pod.nl