* fonts
       [not found] <200201211912.UAA01593@smail.let.uu.nl>
@ 2002-01-22 10:15 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-22 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

[forwarded, please use an address known to the list]

 > maybe we should start setting up a font repository, but i don't want to
> > duplicate ctan / fp/tetex
>
>Oh, I don't think we would duplicate anything.
>An archive of typescript files would be helpful (I had to write some today
>again) -- fontmaps for commercial fonts with LaTeX aren't on CTAN as well,
>but merely on Walter Schmidt's Homepage...
>
>And I think we/anyone should provide typescripts for the fonts that come with
>wide spread Web2c-based distributions like TeX-Live, teTeX etc. (I'll try,
>after my font installation works without problems...)
>
>BTW: Is it "normal" that afm2tfm tends to crash on Win(NT)?

not that i know

>Grüßlis vom Hraban!

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
                                   fall-back web server:
www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: fonts
@ 2002-01-22 19:00   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2002-01-22 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Dienstag 22 Januar 2002 11:15 schrieb Hans Hagen:
> [forwarded, please use an address known to the list]

I hope I got the right one now... (very uncomfortable this way!)

> >BTW: Is it "normal" that afm2tfm tends to crash on Win(NT)?
> not that i know

I catched the error: The font that I tried to install was made with
Fontographer on a Mac, and the AFM had Mac-linefeeds.
Corrected it with a little bit of Perl, and installing works... (But I needed
a couple of hours to find this.)

Today I was tinkering around with another font installation. I've the
impression that the typescript concept doesn't work like it should:

(TeX Live 6 with pdfeTeX 1.0 unofficial, latest beta of ConTeXt, WinNT 4)

-- Runtime loading of fontmaps seems to have no effect -- pdftex finds fonts
only if the map is in pdftex.cfg

-- \definetypeface with 6 parameters works, but not the definition via
"nested" typescripts -- it ends up with "TeX capacity exceeded" after a long
list of messages, that look like a recursion.

I'll test it more accurately tomorrow (left my laptop at work).

Greetlings from the Hraban! ;-)

* Re: fonts
@ 2002-01-23  8:29     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-23  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 08:00 PM 1/22/2002 +0100, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

>-- Runtime loading of fontmaps seems to have no effect -- pdftex finds fonts
>only if the map is in pdftex.cfg

are you sure that you have

   \autoloadmapfilestrue

set?

>-- \definetypeface with 6 parameters works, but not the definition via
>"nested" typescripts -- it ends up with "TeX capacity exceeded" after a long
>list of messages, that look like a recursion.
>
>I'll test it more accurately tomorrow (left my laptop at work).

ok, normally recursion should not occur (never encountered that so far) so
i'm curious,

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
                                   fall-back web server:
www.pragma-pod.nl

* cont-sys, fonts and presentation styles
@ 2002-01-23 19:52       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2002-01-23 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Mittwoch 23 Januar 2002 09:29 schrieb Hans Hagen:
> are you sure that you have
>    \autoloadmapfilestrue

You are right, I forgot to adapt cont-sys.[rme|tex]

Now I commented all mapping in pdftex.cfg, else I get too many "already
defined"-messages.

I must test the other options further, for I don't know what errors occur
why...

>> % Enabling run time \METAPOST\ (also enable \write18 in
>> % texmf.cnf):

Metapost runs automatically from texexec (or so), even without enabling the
following three options. Could you explain the effect of:

 \runMPgraphicstrue
 \runMPTEXgraphicstrue
 \recycleMPslotstrue

And I got the impression that MetaFun is used even without enabling:
 \useMETAFUNformattrue

I'm puzzled...

On making my first ConTeXt presentation, I started with style 19 (organic),
changed the colors and fonts and am satisfied so far.
But if I load style 01, it claims that \StopTitlePage was unknown. I'm
puzzled, while the definition is clearly visible in s-pre-01.tex.

I had another error: Metapost cried, paths would not intersect.
I don't know, what this means, but I found out what was wrong: I had too many
Subjects/Topics, that didn't fit on one page...

Grüßlis vom Hraban!

* Re: cont-sys, fonts and presentation styles
@ 2002-01-24  8:30         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-24  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 08:52 PM 1/23/2002 +0100, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>Am Mittwoch 23 Januar 2002 09:29 schrieb Hans Hagen:
> > are you sure that you have
> >    \autoloadmapfilestrue
>
>You are right, I forgot to adapt cont-sys.[rme|tex]
>
>Now I commented all mapping in pdftex.cfg, else I get too many "already
>defined"-messages.

right, this is something that i need to sort out with thanh

>I must test the other options further, for I don't know what errors occur
>why...
>
> >> % Enabling run time \METAPOST\ (also enable \write18 in
> >> % texmf.cnf):
>
>Metapost runs automatically from texexec (or so), even without enabling the
>following three options. Could you explain the effect of:
>
>  \runMPgraphicstrue

process mp graphics real time (forces mp only call)

>  \runMPTEXgraphicstrue

process mp graphics with tex in it realtime (forces texexec calling mp, slower)

>  \recycleMPslotstrue

this will be default soon, has to do with real time processing and using as
less graphics as possible (was kind of experimental in the beginning, since
it needs some housekeeping, like finding free slots in numbers and so); low
level crap you don;t need to worry about.

>And I got the impression that MetaFun is used even without enabling:
>  \useMETAFUNformattrue

this only affects the real time run, not the run inbetween

>On making my first ConTeXt presentation, I started with style 19 (organic),
>changed the colors and fonts and am satisfied so far.
>But if I load style 01, it claims that \StopTitlePage was unknown. I'm
>puzzled, while the definition is clearly visible in s-pre-01.tex.

hm, are you sure that 01 is loaded?

>I had another error: Metapost cried, paths would not intersect.
>I don't know, what this means, but I found out what was wrong: I had too many
>Subjects/Topics, that didn't fit on one page...

right, unavoidable, maybe use a smaller font for the menu

Hans

@ 2002-01-24 16:23     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-24 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 08:00 PM 1/22/2002 +0100, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>Am Dienstag 22 Januar 2002 11:15 schrieb Hans Hagen:
> > [forwarded, please use an address known to the list]
>
>I hope I got the right one now... (very uncomfortable this way!)
>
> > >BTW: Is it "normal" that afm2tfm tends to crash on Win(NT)?
> > not that i know
>
>I catched the error: The font that I tried to install was made with
>Fontographer on a Mac, and the AFM had Mac-linefeeds.
>Corrected it with a little bit of Perl, and installing works... (But I needed
>a couple of hours to find this.)

guess what, i ran into the same error, with an univers from linotype, pc
version

[thanks to your debugging it took me less than a minute to fix 'm]

[i wonder, are we the only ones using those fonts; must be a pretty old bug]

Hans

@ 2002-01-25  9:37       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2002-01-25  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: angerweit, ntg-context

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002 17:23:30 +0100
"Hans Hagen" <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> [i wonder, are we the only ones using those fonts; must be a pretty old bug]

Perhaps you are the only ones trying to install these fonts under Win32? ;)

--
groeten,

Taco