From: Henning Hraban Ramm <angerweit@gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Fwd: [pdftex] Open type fonts
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 20:08:46 +0100	[thread overview]

Am Donnerstag, 31. Januar 2002 17:17 schrieb Hans Hagen:
> >Does anyone know of a means of accessing the open type fonts,  for example
> >those bundled with Win 2000.  Is there a way linux users can access 'rich'
> >fonts, like Hoefler text that come with Macs?

I'm just reading a book on (not only) this subject -- "Die PostScript &
PDF-Bibel", 2nd edition, PDFlib -- but font handling is far above my head...

I read the book at work, I write this mail at home...

I understand that OpenType fonts...
-- use Unicode numbers internally (but TrueType should do so, too)
-- can hold glyphs with Type-1- (OTF) *or* TrueType-curves (TTF)
-- with TT-curves should behave like normal TT-Fonts, at least on Windows
-- can hold thousands of glyphs (maybe a problem with TeX and its
256-char-fonts?)
-- need some help by the OS: you need >Win2k, MacOS X or FreeType2 for X, at
least for displaying
-- use the same file format on all OSes (no special Mac fonts, no resource
fork!)

HTH

Grüßlis vom Hraban!