* more folds to bind a book
@ 2002-02-01 18:54 Lukas Kubin
From: Lukas Kubin @ 2002-02-01 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I need to print a book for binding per 5 pieces of paper. It means I need
to translate my doubleside document for booklets of 5 papers.
I'm using the 2UP parameter in arranging but it just makes the book of one
booklet. How do I split it?
Thank you.

lukas

--
Lukas Kubin
lukas.kubin@permonik.com

* Re: more folds to bind a book
@ 2002-02-02 19:03 ` Willi Egger
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Willi Egger @ 2002-02-02 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hi Lukas,

> I need to print a book for binding per 5 pieces of paper. It means I need
> to translate my doubleside document for booklets of 5 papers.
> I'm using the 2UP parameter in arranging but it just makes the book of one
> booklet. How do I split it?
> Thank you.
>
> lukas

With the current possibilities within CONTEXT you can not print 5 times 4
pages per sheet i.e. sections of 20 pages. - You will have to develop this
scheme yourself. - Please have a look at the file page-imp.tex. There are
already quite a number of page imposition schemes. - Is there a specific
reason to make sections of 20 pages? - In general one would prefere to make
sections of 16 or 32 pages. The latter impositions schemes are already in
place.

When I developped some of them, I was advised to put such new definitions in
the file cont-new.tex, because this file is always loaded.

Willi

* Re: more folds to bind a book
@ 2002-02-02 19:48 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2002-02-02 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Freitag, 1. Februar 2002 19:54 schrieb Lukas Kubin:
> I need to print a book for binding per 5 pieces of paper. It means I need
> to translate my doubleside document for booklets of 5 papers.
> I'm using the 2UP parameter in arranging but it just makes the book of one
> booklet. How do I split it?

RTM: mtexexec.pdf

I didn't try if you can use --pdfselect and --pdfarrange at the same time.
If not, you must first extract the pages for every folding sheet and
afterwards arrange (impose) it.

Grüßlis vom Hraban!

* Re: more folds to bind a book
@ 2002-02-03 18:42   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-02-03 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lukas Kubin, ntg-context

At 08:03 PM 2/2/2002 +0100, Willi Egger wrote:
>Hi Lukas,
>
> > I need to print a book for binding per 5 pieces of paper. It means I need
> > to translate my doubleside document for booklets of 5 papers.
> > I'm using the 2UP parameter in arranging but it just makes the book of one
> > booklet. How do I split it?
> > Thank you.
> >
> > lukas
>
>With the current possibilities within CONTEXT you can not print 5 times 4
>pages per sheet i.e. sections of 20 pages. - You will have to develop this
>scheme yourself. - Please have a look at the file page-imp.tex. There are
>already quite a number of page imposition schemes. - Is there a specific
>reason to make sections of 20 pages? - In general one would prefere to make
>sections of 16 or 32 pages. The latter impositions schemes are already in
>place.
>
>When I developped some of them, I was advised to put such new definitions in
>the file cont-new.tex, because this file is always loaded.

if new ones are needed, i suggest that the two of you work them out (willy:
i suppose that you took a look in the imposition module, i cleaned up the
spec format, should be more compact now]

Hans

PS. Willy and i have plans to write an imposition manual later this year.
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
                                   fall-back web server:
www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: more folds to bind a book
@ 2002-02-04 10:42   ` Lukas Kubin
From: Lukas Kubin @ 2002-02-04 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Can someone, please, give me a better description of how to process the
document for booklets per 4 sheets? (or how to implement the suggested)

Thank you.

lukas

--
Lukas Kubin
lukas.kubin@permonik.com

* Re: more folds to bind a book
@ 2002-02-04 12:43   ` Lukas Kubin
From: Lukas Kubin @ 2002-02-04 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Could someone, please describe me how to process the document for booklets
per 4 sheets? I don't know how to implement the suggested (below).

--
Lukas Kubin
lukas.kubin@permonik.com

* Re: more folds to bind a book
@ 2002-02-04 18:21     ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2002-02-04 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hi Lukas,

Due to the fact, that I am a  user of CONTEXT during spare time,  it
is sometimes somewhat difficult to give immediate reactions....

As I understand your mail you intend to prepare 5 sections, each consisting
out of 4 sheets of paper each sheet of paper carrying 2 pages on both sides.
A section has 16 pages.

THIS IS NO PROBLEM! Context resolves that for you!

Please refer to the attached sample-file. After compilation you will have
two sample sections...

I hope this will be of help. Kind regards Willi

>I am typesetting a book of poems that should be sewed per about 4 sheets
>(16 pages = 2pages per side doublesided) for better reading. The book will
>be sewed of app. 5 such booklets. So I wish to have the sheets grouped at
>right papers for printing

> Can someone, please, give me a better description of how to process the
> document for booklets per 4 sheets? (or how to implement the suggested)
>
> Thank you.
>
> lukas
>
> On Sat, 2 Feb 2002, Willi Egger wrote:
>
> > Hi Lukas,
> >
> > > I need to print a book for binding per 5 pieces of paper. It means I
need
> > > to translate my doubleside document for booklets of 5 papers.
> > > I'm using the 2UP parameter in arranging but it just makes the book of
one
> > > booklet. How do I split it?
> > > Thank you.
> > >
> > > lukas
> >
> > With the current possibilities within CONTEXT you can not print 5 times
4
> > pages per sheet i.e. sections of 20 pages. - You will have to develop
this
> > scheme yourself. - Please have a look at the file page-imp.tex. There
are
> > already quite a number of page imposition schemes. - Is there a specific
> > reason to make sections of 20 pages? - In general one would prefere to
make
> > sections of 16 or 32 pages. The latter impositions schemes are already
in
> > place.
> >
> > When I developped some of them, I was advised to put such new
definitions in
> > the file cont-new.tex, because this file is always loaded.
> >
> > Willi
> >

> --
> Lukas Kubin
> lukas.kubin@permonik.com
> phone: 00420603836180

[-- Attachment #2: 2-2-4.tex --]

% Sample file to typset a book with sections consisting out of 4 sheets
% of paper. Each sheet carries 2 pages on both sides; thus each section
% contains 16 pages.
% Willi Egger, 04-02-2002

\setupoutput[pdftex]

\definepapersize[MyPaper][height=15cm, width=10cm]
\setuppapersize[MyPaper][A4]
\setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided, location={header,marginedge}]
\setuparranging[2*2*4,rotated,doublesided]%

%\setupbodyfont[ppl,12pt,ber]

\definetypeface[Myfont][rm][serif][palatino][default][encoding=texnansi]
\definetypeface[Myfont][mm][math] [palatino][default][encoding=tx8r]
\setupbodyfont[Myfont,11pt]

\setuptolerance[verytolerant,stretch]%Tip Hans Hagen 14-11-2001
\setuplayout[backspace=0.8cm,topspace=1.2cm,location=middle]
\setupbackgrounds[text][text][background=screen]

\starttext
\startalignment[middle]
\vfil
This is booklet 1 \par
sheet 1
\blank[big]
{\bfd 1}
\stopalignment
\vfil
\page

\startalignment[middle]
\vfil
This is \par
\blank[big]
{\bfd 2}
\stopalignment
\vfil
\page

\startalignment[middle]
\vfil
This is booklet 1 \par
sheet 2
\blank[big]
{\bfd 3}
\stopalignment
\vfil
\page

\startalignment[middle]
\vfil
This is \par
\blank[big]
{\bfd 4}
\stopalignment
\vfil
\page

\startalignment[middle]
\vfil
This is booklet 1 \par
sheet 3
\blank[big]
{\bfd 5}
\stopalignment
\vfil
\page

\startalignment[middle]
\vfil
This is \par
\blank[big]
{\bfd 6}
\stopalignment
\vfil
\page

\startalignment[middle]
\vfil
This is booklet 1 \par
sheet 4
\blank[big]
{\bfd 7}
\stopalignment
\vfil
\page

\startalignment[middle]
\vfil
This is \par
\blank[big]
{\bfd 8}
\stopalignment
\vfil
\page

\startalignment[middle]
\vfil
This is booklet 1 \par
\blank[big]
{\bfd 9}
\stopalignment
\vfil
\page

\startalignment[middle]
\vfil
This is \par
\blank[big]
{\bfd 10}
\stopalignment
\vfil
\page

\startalignment[middle]
\vfil
This is \par
\blank[big]
{\bfd 11}
\stopalignment
\vfil
\page

\startalignment[middle]
\vfil
This is \par
\blank[big]
{\bfd 12}
\stopalignment
\vfil
\page

\startalignment[middle]
\vfil
This is \par
\blank[big]
{\bfd 13}
\stopalignment
\vfil
\page

\startalignment[middle]
\vfil
This is \par
\blank[big]
{\bfd 14}
\stopalignment
\vfil
\page

\startalignment[middle]
\vfil
This is \par
\blank[big]
{\bfd 15}
\stopalignment
\vfil
\page

\startalignment[middle]
\vfil
This is \par
\blank[big]
{\bfd 16}
\stopalignment
\vfil
\page

\startalignment[middle]
\vfil
This is booklet 2 \par
sheet 1
\blank[big]
{\bfd 17}
\stopalignment
\vfil
\page

\startalignment[middle]
\vfil
This is \par
\blank[big]
{\bfd 18}
\stopalignment
\vfil
\page

\startalignment[middle]
\vfil
This is booklet 2\par
sheet 2
\blank[big]
{\bfd 19}
\stopalignment
\vfil
\page

\startalignment[middle]
\vfil
This is \par
\blank[big]
{\bfd 20}
\stopalignment
\vfil
\page

\startalignment[middle]
\vfil
This is booklet 2 \par
sheet 3
\blank[big]
{\bfd 21}
\stopalignment
\vfil
\page

\startalignment[middle]
\vfil
This is \par
\blank[big]
{\bfd 22}
\stopalignment
\vfil
\page

\startalignment[middle]
\vfil
This is booklet 2 \par
sheet 4
\blank[big]
{\bfd 23}
\stopalignment
\vfil
\page

\startalignment[middle]
\vfil
This is \par
\blank[big]
{\bfd 24}
\stopalignment
\vfil
\page

\startalignment[middle]
\vfil
This is \par
\blank[big]
{\bfd 25}
\stopalignment
\vfil
\page

\startalignment[middle]
\vfil
This is \par
\blank[big]
{\bfd 26}
\stopalignment
\vfil
\page

\startalignment[middle]
\vfil
This is \par
\blank[big]
{\bfd 27}
\stopalignment
\vfil
\page

\startalignment[middle]
\vfil
This is \par
\blank[big]
{\bfd 28}
\stopalignment
\vfil
\page

\startalignment[middle]
\vfil
This is \par
\blank[big]
{\bfd 29}
\stopalignment
\vfil
\page

\startalignment[middle]
\vfil
This is \par
\blank[big]
{\bfd 30}
\stopalignment
\vfil
\page

\startalignment[middle]
\vfil
This is \par
\blank[big]
{\bfd 31}
\stopalignment
\vfil
\page

\startalignment[middle]
\vfil
This is \par
\blank[big]
{\bfd 32}
\stopalignment
\vfil
\page

\stoptext

* Re: more folds to bind a book
@ 2002-02-05 16:31       ` Lukas Kubin
From: Lukas Kubin @ 2002-02-05 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hi Willi,
thank you very much for your help! The \setuparranging[2*2*4] looks
intuitively -- like something I could try before disturbing this list.
However your sample file (and my document as well) gives me a bad result
-- 1 page per side instead of 2. I am using ConTeXt 2.6. Don't you know
where the problem could be?
Thank you. I really appreciate your help.

lukas

--
Lukas Kubin
lukas.kubin@permonik.com