* FAQ: fonts
@ 2002-02-24 22:31 Henning Hraban Ramm
       [not found] ` <200202252123.g1PLNju01677@nathir.fiee.lan>
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2002-02-24 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

There are some typescripts for usual fonts in your ConTeXt distribution. But
they seldom seem to work. It's better to make your own new metrics and
typescripts.

USING EXISTENT FONTS AND TFM METRICS

--- file: type-mine.tex ---

% this maps the font name to the TFM file name
% (here: free URW "Times")
\starttypescript [serif] [times] [texnansi]
  \definefontsynonym [Times-Roman] [utmr8t] [encoding=texnansi]
  \definefontsynonym [Times-Italic][utmri8t][encoding=texnansi]
%  etc.
\stoptypescript

% this maps Serif to the specific font
\starttypescript [serif] [times] [name]
  \definefontsynonym [Serif]       [Times-Roman]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic] [Times-Italic]
%  etc.
\stoptypescript

% tell pdftex to load a map file
\starttypescript [map] [texnansi]
  \loadmapfile [texnansi-urw-times.map]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [mine] [myset]
  \definetypeface [myset] [rm] [serif] [times] [default] [encoding=texnansi]
% and similar for ss/sans, mm/math, tt/mono fonts
\stoptypescript

--- end ---

--- file: mydoc.tex ---
\setupencoding     [default=texnansi]
\usetypescriptfile [type-mine]
\usetypescript     [mine] [myset]
\setupbodyfont     [myset,rm,12pt]
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2002-02-25 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 24 Feb 2002 23:31:29 +0100
"Henning Hraban Ramm" <angerweit@gmx.net> wrote:

> There are some typescripts for usual fonts in your ConTeXt distribution. But
> they seldom seem to work. It's better to make your own new metrics and
> typescripts.

I don't want to diminish the work you've done on this FAQ, but I find that
the documentation for fonts (and in fact the whole subsystem) is getting
awfully confusing.

This is caused by a number of factors:

- mtexfont.pdf and mfonts.pdf overlap eachother in areas where they shouldn't
- mfonts.pdf explains *too much* (e.g. the section on \definefont, and the
  stuff about the traditional system with \definebodyfont)
- the FAQ is too terse and doesn't mention the nasty pitfalls (like the fact
  that you *cannot* redefine a typescript collection)
- There are too many 'example' files in the distribution that fairly unusable
  in the real world (like type-buy.tex)
- the whole font subsystem is still backward compatible so all of the old
  commands still function more ore less as they used to
- \starttypescript is an awful command. It does a lot of stuff depending
  on 'special options', and the documentation for these options is incomplete
- The same is true for \definetypeface.

In order to create some sort of logic:

There should be aliases defined for at least the following commands, and the
documentation should stick to using these names instead of the basic command.

This will make the documentation and usage much clearer without introducing
extra overhead in the ConTeXt core.

\definefontsynonym
------------------
Is used for two different things:
- Mapping generic names to font family names, as in
	\definefontsynonym [Serif] [TimesRoman]
- Mapping font family names to disk file names, as in
	\definefontsynonym [TimesRoman] [tir] [encoding=texnansi]

The second usage needs an alias (I propose \definefontfile), so that the above
can be written as:

	\definefontsynonym [Serif] [TimesRoman]
	\definefontfile    [TimesRoman] [tir] [encoding=texnansi]

\starttypescript
----------------
Is used for *a lot* of different things.

\starttypescript [map]
*********************

First, here is one call I do not fully  understand:

	\starttypescript[map][texnansi]
		 \loadmapfile [texnansi-urw-times.map]
	\stoptypescript

Assuming I get it right, this is what should happen:

- Context internally has defined a very very special typescript called map.
- This is not 'really' a typescript, but behaves more like a list. A list of
  pdftex map files, in fact.
- Whenever anybody calls *any* typescript, this special typescript is automatically
  activated as well.
- the net result of that is that all of the map files (in the correct encoding)
  are loaded by pdftex at every typescript change.

If I get this right, the whole thing is an attempt to make pdftex read map
files dynamically at runtime instead of statically preloading all of the
map files as soon as the executable starts.

Sadly, this won't work correctly until pdftex is patched to accept map files during
a run (in the current situation, pdftex only allows dynamic loading of map files
before the first page is shipped out, not afterwards).

Anyway, this is *ugly* when used in a call to \starttypescript. It would be much
nicer to have a new command:

	\definetypescriptencodingmapfile [texnansi] [texnansi-urw-times.map]

(or even \defineencodingmapfile, since there is no real relation to any
specific typescript name, only to the encoding)

\starttypescript [*] [*] [size]
*******************************

Why not call this \starttypescriptsizes ?

\starttypescript [*] [*] [name]
*******************************

Why not call this \starttypescriptnames ?

\starttypescript (in general)
****************

The exact usage of the options to this command is incredibly
confusing. If I understand it all correctly, then what is generally
used as the *first* argument in the documentation (serif|sans|mono|math)
is more optional than the second (the typescript name | default). At the
same time, I get the impression from the documentation that the order
is not important at all (mfonts.pdf page 8). This is clearly not true.

\usetypescript
**************

I think it is a little odd that documents now start with:

	\usetypescriptfile[type-mytimes]
	\usetypescript[mytimes]

Hans, do you think it is possible to add the file loading/checking
code to \usetypescript?

If I understand this correctly, then \usetypescript basically has the
same arguments as \starttypescript. It follows that if you use this command
in a typescript definition file, it only functions as a shortcut to get
to (parts of) another typescript. Hans, is this correct?

\definetypeface
***************

At one point in time I understood what this command does. But not any
longer. For one, I don't understand how it is possible that it appears
*inside* a typescript definition. I thought it was a way to map a number
of definebodyfonts into a single command. But then again, this is also what
typescripts do. So how can one be part of the other?

--
groeten,

Taco

* Re: FAQ: fonts
@ 2002-02-25 16:24   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-02-25 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 02:05 PM 2/25/2002 +0100, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

>- mtexfont.pdf and mfonts.pdf overlap eachother in areas where they shouldn't

right, i will change this as soon as texfont.pl is finished

>- mfonts.pdf explains *too much* (e.g. the section on \definefont, and the
>   stuff about the traditional system with \definebodyfont)

once the typescripts are working as expected, that part will go to an appendix

>- the FAQ is too terse and doesn't mention the nasty pitfalls (like the fact
>   that you *cannot* redefine a typescript collection)

btw, you can overload one by a later accessed typescript

>- There are too many 'example' files in the distribution that fairly unusable
>   in the real world (like type-buy.tex)

they come from my personal real world -)

>- the whole font subsystem is still backward compatible so all of the old
>   commands still function more ore less as they used to
>- \starttypescript is an awful command. It does a lot of stuff depending
>   on 'special options', and the documentation for these options is incomplete

actually, it's just a filtering command:

\starttypescript [list a] [list b] [list c]

\usetypescript   [list a] [list b] [list c]

the use command tries to match them and 'executes' everything in the
matched script (i have plans to use this feature for other things as well).

the keyword 'all' can be used to match anything

>- The same is true for \definetypeface.

apart from some font/command initializations this command just executes a
series of typescripts (as you mention later); the ideas is that one can do
things like:

\definetypeface [abra]    [rm] [serif] ....
\definetypeface [cadabra] [rm] [serif] ....

and so create multiple (quite complete) bodyfont rm/ss/tt/.. definitions;
since each typeface (collection of rm,ss,tt defs) has its own namespace,
one can, in one document, for instance mix different collections, each with
different encodings and relative scaling etc.

>In order to create some sort of logic:
>
>There should be aliases defined for at least the following commands, and the
>documentation should stick to using these names instead of the basic command.
>
>This will make the documentation and usage much clearer without introducing
>extra overhead in the ConTeXt core.
>
>\definefontsynonym
>------------------
>Is used for two different things:
>- Mapping generic names to font family names, as in
>         \definefontsynonym [Serif] [TimesRoman]
>- Mapping font family names to disk file names, as in
>         \definefontsynonym [TimesRoman] [tir] [encoding=texnansi]
>
>The second usage needs an alias (I propose \definefontfile), so that the above
>can be written as:
>
>         \definefontsynonym [Serif] [TimesRoman]
>         \definefontfile    [TimesRoman] [tir] [encoding=texnansi]

i have no problem with providing you \definefontfile (just a \let) but keep
in mind that the third arg (encoding, mapping, handling, etc) can come at
any level in the font (file)name expansion chain.

>\starttypescript
>----------------
>Is used for *a lot* of different things.
>
>\starttypescript [map]
>*********************
>
>First, here is one call I do not fully  understand:
>
>         \starttypescript[map][texnansi]
>                 \loadmapfile [texnansi-urw-times.map]
>         \stoptypescript
>
>Assuming I get it right, this is what should happen:
>
>- Context internally has defined a very very special typescript called map.

no, this typescript is as the others, so:

\usetypescript[map][texnansi]

will execute all typescripts marked as such, while

\usetypescript[map][all]

will load all typescripts that have a first [map] spec.  The \loadmapfile
will add the names mentioned to an internal list; keep in min dthat this

>- This is not 'really' a typescript, but behaves more like a list. A list of
>   pdftex map files, in fact.

the \loadmapfile indeed adds to a list; actually anything can happen in a
typescript, so

\starttypescript[taco]

\def\Taco{Taco Hoekwater}

\stoptypescript

is pretty valid.

>- Whenever anybody calls *any* typescript, this special typescript is
>automatically
>   activated as well.

no, only when asked for; it happens that it is asked for frequently

>- the net result of that is that all of the map files (in the correct
>encoding)
>   are loaded by pdftex at every typescript change.

right,

\starttypescript [map] [palatino] [texnansi]

or so would provide more granularity [the problem currently si that one
needs to load map files at the first page (after that pdftex ignores
\pdfmapfile; this may change (i hope))

>If I get this right, the whole thing is an attempt to make pdftex read map
>files dynamically at runtime instead of statically preloading all of the
>map files as soon as the executable starts.

right, this is needed because otherwise one cannot overload entries;
unfortunately in tex distributions everything goes into this big
psfonts,map file (with all side effects, like problems with embedded pdf
files).

>Sadly, this won't work correctly until pdftex is patched to accept map
>files during
>a run (in the current situation, pdftex only allows dynamic loading of map
>files
>before the first page is shipped out, not afterwards).

right again -)

>Anyway, this is *ugly* when used in a call to \starttypescript. It would
>be much
>nicer to have a new command:
>
>         \definetypescriptencodingmapfile [texnansi] [texnansi-urw-times.map]
>
>(or even \defineencodingmapfile, since there is no real relation to any
>specific typescript name, only to the encoding)
>

>\starttypescript [*] [*] [size]
>*******************************
>
>Why not call this \starttypescriptsizes ?
>

>\starttypescript [*] [*] [name]
>*******************************
>
>Why not call this \starttypescriptnames ?

once i got the feeling that typescripts are stable i will look into that,
probably something \starttypefacesize is more accurate

>\starttypescript (in general)
>****************
>
>The exact usage of the options to this command is incredibly
>confusing. If I understand it all correctly, then what is generally
>used as the *first* argument in the documentation (serif|sans|mono|math)
>is more optional than the second (the typescript name | default). At the
>same time, I get the impression from the documentation that the order
>is not important at all (mfonts.pdf page 8). This is clearly not true.

this is only true for the ones called for by \definettypeface, but as said,
one can use typescripts for more purposes

\usetypescript
>**************
>
>I think it is a little odd that documents now start with:
>
>         \usetypescriptfile[type-mytimes]
>         \usetypescript[mytimes]
>
>Hans, do you think it is possible to add the file loading/checking
>code to \usetypescript?

hm, it could be done, but would slow down things (much more file opening
and so). What i do here, is put every local thing in a file called
typeface.tex and load that one always

>If I understand this correctly, then \usetypescript basically has the
>same arguments as \starttypescript. It follows that if you use this command
>in a typescript definition file, it only functions as a shortcut to get
>to (parts of) another typescript. Hans, is this correct?

right

>\definetypeface
>***************
>
>At one point in time I understood what this command does. But not any
>longer. For one, I don't understand how it is possible that it appears
>*inside* a typescript definition. I thought it was a way to map a number
>of definebodyfonts into a single command. But then again, this is also what
>typescripts do. So how can one be part of the other?

think of the one defining the typeface as being the top (root) of a tree;
it will not load itself

[i agree that typescripts are a bit fuzzy and i hope that some day i will
have them reworked in some way (for instance as you propose with more
dedicated commands), but given the diversity of fonts, i wanted a mechanism
that i could experiment with; for instance, i will probably clean up some
encoding filtering (otherwise the third args will grow too long).]

[sorry for being confusing]

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
                                   fall-back web server:
www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: FAQ: fonts
@ 2002-02-25 18:05     ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2002-02-25 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> [i agree that typescripts are a bit fuzzy

Well that's the one line I can follow in your message :-)

I'd be all for a service address where I can send my AFM/PFB's and credit
card data and get mailed back a really working set of fool proof files with
how-to text listing their exact location and all complete necessary
references in .map and .cfg and cnf  et cetera files.

That way I would not only get my Times in working order, but I would be able
to buy another font knowing that I'd get that working also.

> [sorry for being confusing]

never mind - I am easily amused, I mean confused :-)

I think the way font switching to times works in Word is a bit silly, just
clicking  times and it works, that's way too easy, but the ConTeXt way is
the other opposite :-)

Frans

* Re: FAQ: fonts
@ 2002-02-25 21:30       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
       [not found]         ` <005801c1be69$5c3b05a0$6401a8c0@lap>
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2002-02-25 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Montag, 25. Februar 2002 19:05 schrieb Frans Goddijn:

> I'd be all for a service address where I can send my AFM/PFB's and credit
> card data and get mailed back a really working set of fool proof files with
> how-to text listing their exact location and all complete necessary
> references in .map and .cfg and cnf  et cetera files.

Hm, the only problem is that I don't know how to debit your credit card. ;-)

For most Linotype fonts I can send you the auxiliary files; but it's really
easier to use texfont yourself.
Would you like to get my complete typescript-files? (Everything other is made
automatically by texfont.)

> That way I would not only get my Times in working order, but I would be
> able to buy another font knowing that I'd get that working also.

> I think the way font switching to times works in Word is a bit silly, just
> clicking  times and it works, that's way too easy, but the ConTeXt way is
> the other opposite :-)

Be happy that you don't have to install fonts for LaTeX!

Grüßlis vom Hraban!

* Re: FAQ: fonts
@ 2002-02-26 10:53     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2002-02-26 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hi all,

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002 17:24:36 +0100 Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> >- mtexfont.pdf and mfonts.pdf overlap eachother in areas where they shouldn't
>
> right, i will change this as soon as texfont.pl is finished

Great! IMO, it would be Ok if there was just one large font manual, but
then it has to be split into cleanly separated parts.

> >- the FAQ is too terse and doesn't mention the nasty pitfalls (like the fact
> >   that you *cannot* redefine a typescript collection)
>
> btw, you can overload one by a later accessed typescript

It would appear this is not true, or I am missing something. Frans' Times font does
not work if I try to redefine the existing 'times' typescript, whereas it does work
if I create a new 'xtimes' typescript. Here is what I have given Frans now:

%% start of type-fgtimes.tex
\starttypescript [serif] [xtimes]  [texnansi]
   \definefontsynonym [Times-Roman]         [tnr2]   [encoding=\defaultencoding]
   \definefontsynonym [Times-Italic]        [tnri2]  [encoding=\defaultencoding]
   \definefontsynonym [Times-Bold]          [tnrb2]  [encoding=\defaultencoding]
   \definefontsynonym [Times-BoldItalic]    [tnrbi2] [encoding=\defaultencoding]
   \definefontsynonym [Times-RomanSC]       [tnrexp2]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [xtimes]  [name]
   \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [Times-Roman]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]       [Times-Bold]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]     [Times-Italic]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic] [Times-BoldItalic]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifCaps]       [Times-RomanSC]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [xtimes] [MyTimes]
  \definetypeface [MyTimes] [rm] [serif] [xtimes] [default] [encoding=texnansi]
\stoptypescript
%% end of type-fgtimes.tex

The last three lines are probably incorrect or inefficient.

> \definetypeface:
> and so create multiple (quite complete) bodyfont rm/ss/tt/.. definitions;
> since each typeface (collection of rm,ss,tt defs) has its own namespace,
> one can, in one document, for instance mix different collections, each with
> different encodings and relative scaling etc.

This is what I originally thought it was supposed to do.

But what is the precise meaning of the arguments? I understand some, but not all.
Esp. arg #2 and #3 are confusing.

  \definetypeface
    [MyTimes]            % The typeface name
    [rm]                 % (rm/ss/tt/cg/hw?)
    [serif]              % (serif/sans/mono/math?)
    [xtimes]             % the typescript to use
    [default]            % size info, right?
    [encoding=texnansi]  % options.

> \definefontfile/\definefontsynonym
> i have no problem with providing you \definefontfile (just a \let) but keep
> in mind that the third arg (encoding, mapping, handling, etc) can come at
> any level in the font (file)name expansion chain.

I know. It is just a 'user interface alias' to make the intention more clear.

> \starttypescript [map]
> >- Context internally has defined a very very special typescript called map.
>
> no, this typescript is as the others, so:
>
> \usetypescript[map][texnansi]
> will execute all typescripts marked as such, while
> \usetypescript[map][all]
> will load all typescripts that have a first [map] spec.  The \loadmapfile
> will add the names mentioned to an internal list; keep in min dthat this

I can see that it is just like the others in the programmer's sense, but it isn't
the same from a user's point of view. I *know* typescripts are in fact just macro
collections that you can do set searches on/in. But a user wouldn't, for an
average user, a typescript in inherently connected to fonts.

> >\starttypescript (in general)
> >same time, I get the impression from the documentation that the order
> >is not important at all (mfonts.pdf page 8). This is clearly not true.
>
> this is only true for the ones called for by \definettypeface, but as said,
> one can use typescripts for more purposes

But: one shouldn't. No, really.

> >If I understand this correctly, then \usetypescript basically has the
> >same arguments as \starttypescript. It follows that if you use this command
> >in a typescript definition file, it only functions as a shortcut to get
> >to (parts of) another typescript. Hans, is this correct?
>
> right

So, (coming back to my last three lines in the included file above), it would
make much more sense to do this remove the two 'typescript' lines around the
\definetypeface line, and use the file like this:?

  % input
  \usetypescriptfile[type-fgtimes]
  \setupbodyfont[MyTimes]

[the good news is that I am slowly getting a grid on these things again. Gimme a few
more days and I can start charging Frans money :-)]

--
groeten,

Taco

* Re: FAQ: fonts
       [not found] ` <200202252123.g1PLNju01677@nathir.fiee.lan>
@ 2002-02-26 11:19   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-02-26 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 10:23 PM 2/25/2002 +0100, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>Am Montag, 25. Februar 2002 17:24 schrieb Hans Hagen:
> > >- the FAQ is too terse and doesn't mention the nasty pitfalls (like the
> > > fact that you *cannot* redefine a typescript collection)
> > btw, you can overload one by a later accessed typescript
>
>But if there are (accidentally) two typescripts with same names, none of
>them's working! (Took me a while to mention...)

hm, i wonder why

> > right, this is needed because otherwise one cannot overload entries;
>
>Overloading of mappings seems never to work; you always get an "already
>defined" warning -- that's why I comment all maps in pdftex.cfg and let
>ConTeXt do the work.

right, this is one reason why i let context load before the psfonts file
comes into play; more natural would be if pdftex would permit overloading
(imagine using a generated slant font with a different slant and therefore
metrics; in the default tex distribution there is no distinction between
such instances).

@ 2002-02-26 20:52           ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2002-02-26 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Am Dienstag, 26. Februar 2002 03:00 schrieb Frans Goddijn:
> On my system, texfont.pl gives very many errors of "bad command or file
> name"...

I presume you miss afm2tfm!
(Was my problem, too. Look on your TeX Live CD)

Grüßlis vom Hraban!

* Re: FAQ: fonts
@ 2002-02-27 21:57             ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2002-02-27 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

You're right, Hraban, I did not have that afm2tfm.exe in my bin\win32
directory which is weird because it IS on the TeXLive CD in the \bin\win32\
directory and TeXLive did the installation on my HD...

Anyway I copied it now and next time that I need it it'll be there!

Thanks,

Frans