* Pesky sidebars.
@ 2002-05-08 21:17 John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2002-05-08 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On some pages sidebars work fine, on others they have a white line
through the background, and on still others an overflow problem stalls
the entire compile. You have to kill the window or session to get out of it.
Here is a sidebar that works fine:

\startmarginblock
\setuptolerance[horizontal,tolerant]
\startbackground
Using Context text can be placed in the margin using a margin block.
A background can also be added.
\stopbackground
\stopmarginblock

But here is a much shorter one that stalls the system.
\startmarginblock
\setuptolerance[horizontal,tolerant]
\startbackground
WYSIWIG
can slow
you down.
\stopbackground
\stopmarginblock

I cannot see anything radically different about the context (Small c :)
that would cause these problems.

I have tried \starttyping & stoptyping but they seem to have littel
effect either way.

Is there something wrong with my overall approach?

John Culleton
--
Able Indexers and Typesetters
http://wexfordpress.com

* Re: Pesky sidebars.
@ 2002-05-09  8:54 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2002-05-09  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com> writes:

Hello John,

> On some pages sidebars work fine, on others they have a white line
> through the background, and on still others an overflow problem stalls
> the entire compile. You have to kill the window or session to get
> out of it.

I cannot reproduce your problem. I use ConTeXt ver. 2002.4.17 and an
old pdftex: ... 14h. Did you follow the golden rule? (i.e. try out the
latest beta?)

Patrick

--
I'll fade into the darkness

* OT: maps23 emacs/auctex article
@ 2002-05-09 13:17   ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2002-05-09 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear friends of NTG,

I am taking the plunge and converting all of my operations to Linux in the coming week (from the Evil Empire) and have a lot to learn of course. I tried downloading an
article on TeX and Emacs from
http://www.ntg.nl/maps/maps23.html, namely http://www.ntg.nl/maps/pdf/hide/23_18.pdf
but apparently the articles on this page have yet to be made public like the other MAPS pagess. Would it be illegal for anyone to send me a copy, even a print-disabled
version if necessary, or failing that at least tell me if the article is worth reading?

By the way, MAPS is a real treasure trove of TeX-information and I have benefitted immensely from it.

Best wishes
Idris

==========================
Dr. Idris Samawi Hamid
Depatment of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80526

* Re: OT: maps23 emacs/auctex article
@ 2002-05-09 14:10     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2002-05-09 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

The correct file to get is:

http://www.ntg.nl/maps/pdf/23_15.pdf

it should be public by now, so probably the site needs updating
(it also uses the incorrect number)

On Thu, 09 May 2002 07:17:16 -0600
"Idris Samawi Hamid" <ishamid@attbi.com> wrote:

> Dear friends of NTG,
>
> I am taking the plunge and converting all of my operations to Linux in the coming
> week (from the Evil Empire) and have a lot to learn of course. I tried downloading an
> article on TeX and Emacs from
> http://www.ntg.nl/maps/maps23.html, namely http://www.ntg.nl/maps/pdf/hide/23_18.pdf
> but apparently the articles on this page have yet to be made public like the other
> MAPS pagess. Would it be illegal for anyone to send me a copy, even a print-disabled
> version if necessary, or failing that at least tell me if the article is worth reading?

--
groeten,

Taco

* Re: Pesky sidebars.
@ 2002-05-09 23:12 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-05-09 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 05:17 PM 5/8/2002 -0400, John Culleton wrote:

>Is there something wrong with my overall approach?

Of course -)

You should use the other background mechanism, the atributes one, which (of
course) is not yet documented since it's quite new and under development
(details.pdf will cover it).

However, that method would be overkill, so best use a simpler approach. The
attached file demos it.

(BTW, i haven't used side bars for years and don't expect to use them in
the future, so testing is for others)

Hans

You can test the following file:

   texexec --mode=demo --pdf m-yesno

It supports colered sidebars, crossing pages, nested bars, etc

============ m-yesno.tex =========================

%D \module
%D   [       file=m-yesno,
%D        version=2000.05.10,
%D          title=\CONTEXT\ Extra Modules,
%D       subtitle=Handy, Yes or No?,
%D         author=Hans Hagen,
%D           date=\currentdate,
%D      copyright=PRAGMA-ADE]
%C
%C This module is part of the \CONTEXT\ macro||package and is
%C therefore copyrighted by \PRAGMA. See mreadme.pdf for
%C details.

\unprotect

\newcounter\currentsidebar
\newdimen\sidebardistance

\definesystemvariable{sr}

\def\setupsidebars
   {\dodoubleargument\dosetupsidebars}

\def\dosetupsidebars[#1][#2]%
   {\ifsecondargument
      \getparameters[\??sr#1][#2]%
    \else
      \getparameters[\??sr][#1]%
    \fi}

% \setupMPvariables
%   [mpos:bar]
%   [linecolor=red,
%    linewidth=2pt,
%    distance=5pt]

\setupsidebars
   [\c!lijndikte=2pt,
    \c!lijnkleur=red,
    \c!afstand=.5\bodyfontsize]

\def\definesidebar
   {\dodoubleempty\dodefinesidebar}

\def\dodefinesidebar[#1][#2]%
   {\copyparameters
      [\??sr#1][\??sr]
      [\c!lijndikte,\c!lijnkleur,\c!afstand]%
    \getparameters
      [\??sr#1][#2]}

\def\startsidebar
   {\dosingleempty\dostartsidebar}

\def\dostartsidebar[#1]%
   {\bgroup
    \dontleavehmode
    \checktextbackgrounds
    \doglobal\increment\currentsidebar
    \doifelsenothing{#1}
      {\advance\sidebardistance\@@srafstand}
      {\doifelsevaluenothing{\??sr#1\c!afstand}
         {\advance\sidebardistance\@@srafstand}
         {\sidebardistance\getvalue{\??sr#1\c!afstand}}}%
    \startpositionoverlay{text-1}%
      \expanded{\setMPpositiongraphicrange
        {b:side:\currentsidebar}%
        {e:side:\currentsidebar}%
        {mpos:bar}%
        {self=side:\currentsidebar,
         linewidth=\getvalue{\??sr#1\c!lijndikte},
         linecolor=\getvalue{\??sr#1\c!lijnkleur},
         distance=\the\sidebardistance}}%
    \stoppositionoverlay
    \bpos{side:\currentsidebar}\ignorespaces}

\def\stopsidebar
   {\removelastspace\tpos{side:\currentsidebar}\egroup}

\startMPpositionmethod{mpos:bar}
   \startMPpositiongraphic{mpos:bar}{linecolor,linewidth,distance}%
     StartPage ;
       path p ; p :=
       if \MPp\MPbself=\MPp\MPeself :
         (xpart ulcorner Field[Text][Text],\MPy\MPbself+\MPh\MPbself) --
         (xpart llcorner Field[Text][Text],\MPy\MPeself-\MPd\MPeself) ;
       elseif RealPageNumber=\MPp\MPbself :
         (xpart ulcorner Field[Text][Text],\MPy\MPbself+\MPh\MPbself) --
         (llcorner Field[Text][Text]) ;
       elseif RealPageNumber=\MPp\MPeself :
         (ulcorner Field[Text][Text]) --
         (xpart llcorner Field[Text][Text],\MPy\MPeself-\MPd\MPeself) ;
       else :
         (ulcorner Field[Text][Text]) --
         (llcorner Field[Text][Text]) ;
       fi ;
       draw p shifted (-\MPvar{distance},0)
         withpen pencircle scaled \MPvar{linewidth}
         withcolor \MPvar{linecolor} ;
       anchor_par(\MPanchor\MPbself) ;
     StopPage ;
   \stopMPpositiongraphic
   \MPpositiongraphic{mpos:bar}{}%
\stopMPpositionmethod

\protect

\doifnotmode{demo}{\endinput}

\showframe \setupcolors[state=start]

\definesidebar[whow][rulecolor=green,distance=]

\starttext

\input tufte \par
\startsidebar
   \input tufte \par
   \input tufte \par
   \startsidebar[whow]
     \input tufte \par
     \input tufte \par
     \input tufte \par
   \stopsidebar
   \input tufte \par
   \input tufte
\stopsidebar
\input tufte \par
\input tufte \par
\startsidebar
   \input tufte \par
   \input tufte \par
   \input tufte \par
   \input tufte \par
   \input tufte
\stopsidebar
\input tufte \par
\input tufte \par
\startsidebar
   \input tufte
   \input tufte
   \input tufte
   \input tufte
   \input tufte
\stopsidebar

\stoptext

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Pesky sidebars.
@ 2002-05-10 13:51   ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2002-05-10 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Thursday 09 May 2002 07:12 pm, Hans Hagen wrote:
> At 05:17 PM 5/8/2002 -0400, John Culleton wrote:
> >Is there something wrong with my overall approach?
>
> Of course -)
>
> You should use the other background mechanism, the atributes one, which (of
> course) is not yet documented since it's quite new and under development
> (details.pdf will cover it).
>
> However, that method would be overkill, so best use a simpler approach. The
> attached file demos it.
>
> (BTW, i haven't used side bars for years and don't expect to use them in
> the future, so testing is for others)
>
> Hans

Yes, testing is for me, I guess.

I ran into a problem. I tried commenting out various lines but could not
define it further. Here it is:
-----------------------------
systems        : begin file sidebar at line 117
(tufte.tex)
! Undefined control sequence.
\tpd\dosetpositionwhd #1#2#3#4->\pdfsavepos
                                            \dolazysavepositionwhd
{#1}{\noe...
Of course lots of other error lines follow. Since \pdfsavepos and
\dolazysavepositionwhd
are macros outside ot the macro I am testing I don't really know where to
look.

Hints?

John Culleton
--

@ 2002-05-10 17:16     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-05-10 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 09:51 AM 5/10/2002 -0400, John Culleton wrote:

>I ran into a problem. I tried commenting out various lines but could not
>define it further. Here it is:
>-----------------------------
>systems        : begin file sidebar at line 117
>(tufte.tex)
>! Undefined control sequence.
>\tpd\dosetpositionwhd #1#2#3#4->\pdfsavepos
>                                             \dolazysavepositionwhd
>{#1}{\noe...
>Of course lots of other error lines follow. Since \pdfsavepos and
>\dolazysavepositionwhd
>are macros outside ot the macro I am testing I don't really know where to
>look.
>
>Hints?

You must be running a pdftex from the stone ages.

Hans

@ 2002-05-10 19:57       ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2002-05-10 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Friday 10 May 2002 01:16 pm, Hans Hagen wrote:
> At 09:51 AM 5/10/2002 -0400, John Culleton wrote:
> >I ran into a problem. I tried commenting out various lines but could not
> >define it further. Here it is:
>
> >Hints?
>
> You must be running a pdftex from the stone ages.
>
> Hans

Well, from the latest Slackware 8.1 distribution of Linux. The dates are in
2000  (AD) :-)
At the moment I am downloading the TeXLive iso image from July of last
year and a beta of pdftex from ftp.cstug.cz. Do you have any other sources I
could try?

Best

John C.
I prefer a compiled binary for unix/linux if possible.
--
Able Indexers and Typesetters
http://wexfordpress.com

* Drop words, Drop boxes
@ 2002-05-11  4:36       ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2002-05-11  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I read Hans' old MAPS article about dropped caps, etc, which reminded me of something I'd thought about before:

Arabic does not have capitals, and it's mostly cursive, so dropped first letters at the beginning of a paragraph generally don't make any sense. On the other hand, a
dropped first word of a first paragraph does make sense. Does ConTeXt have a general mechanism for dropping the first word or contents of a first \hbox of a given
paragraph?

Another, related question: In the article, the font must be specified in the dropcaps macro. For my puposes the ocplist for the dropped character would have to specified
as well. Is it straightforward? Can't the macro just use the global font?

Thnx & best wishes
Idris

==========================
Dr. Idris Samawi Hamid
Depatment of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80526

* Re: Pesky sidebars.
@ 2002-05-11  9:11         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-05-11  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 03:57 PM 5/10/2002 -0400, John Culleton wrote:

>At the moment I am downloading the TeXLive iso image from July of last
>year and a beta of pdftex from ftp.cstug.cz. Do you have any other sources I
>could try?

tex live is ok, the cstug one probably old

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re[2]: Pesky sidebars.
@ 2002-05-11 10:19         ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2002-05-11 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Friday, May 10, 2002 John Culleton wrote:

>> You must be running a pdftex from the stone ages.

JC> Well, from the latest Slackware 8.1 distribution of Linux. The dates are in
JC> 2000  (AD) :-)

If Slack has the same policy as RedHat wrt the pdfTeX packages,
you'd still have the latest teTeX stable pdfTeX, which means 13d
or something ... consider that pdfTeX is now at 1.00b-something
... I'd call it stone age :-)

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: Drop words, Drop boxes
@ 2002-05-11 13:03         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-05-11 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 10:36 PM 5/10/2002 -0600, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
>I read Hans' old MAPS article about dropped caps, etc, which reminded me
>of something I'd thought about before:
>
>Arabic does not have capitals, and it's mostly cursive, so dropped first
>letters at the beginning of a paragraph generally don't make any sense. On
>the other hand, a
>dropped first word of a first paragraph does make sense. Does ConTeXt have
>a general mechanism for dropping the first word or contents of a first
>\hbox of a given
>paragraph?

\def\DroppedString{CRAP}
\DroppedCaps
{\color[red]} {cmbx12}
{2\baselineskip} {0pt} {\baselineskip} {2}{CRAP}Is this ugly

>Another, related question: In the article, the font must be specified in
>the dropcaps macro. For my puposes the ocplist for the dropped character
>would have to specified
>as well. Is it straightforward? Can't the macro just use the global font?

some day ... (first we need to get otp's robustly coupled to font switched
(actually, it could be an attribute to the font file synonym, or a font
handler, will think of it)

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Re[2]: Pesky sidebars.
@ 2002-05-13 19:22           ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2002-05-13 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Saturday 11 May 2002 06:19 am, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
> Friday, May 10, 2002 John Culleton wrote:
> >> You must be running a pdftex from the stone ages.
>
> JC> Well, from the latest Slackware 8.1 distribution of Linux. The dates
> are in JC> 2000  (AD) :-)
>
> If Slack has the same policy as RedHat wrt the pdfTeX packages,
> you'd still have the latest teTeX stable pdfTeX, which means 13d
> or something ... consider that pdfTeX is now at 1.00b-something
> ... I'd call it stone age :-)

I updated to the July 2001 TeXLive cdrom and then downloaded the
latest stable context. Now I get the run though to completion but
there is a message:

Fatal mem file error --- I'm stymied.

The only sidebar that apears is a red line in the left hand margin of
the first page. That is the page where there is a sidebar nested in a sidebar.

I use pdefetex. Would pdftex be better for this app?

John Culleton

--
Able Indexers and Typesetters
http://wexfordpress.com

* Re[4]: Pesky sidebars.
@ 2002-05-13 21:29             ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2002-05-13 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context, ntg-context

Monday, May 13, 2002 John Culleton wrote:

JC> I updated to the July 2001 TeXLive cdrom and then downloaded the
JC> latest stable context. Now I get the run though to completion but
JC> there is a message:

JC> Fatal mem file error --- I'm stymied.

Smells like you'd need to regenerate the metafun format. Just take
the chance and regenerate everything with

texexec --make en metafun mptopdf

and make sure you move metafun.mem to the right place (here, it
goes to the wrong one). Also refresh the filename database before
updating the formats and after you do.

(You probably only need to regenerate metafun though.)

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: Re[4]: Pesky sidebars.
@ 2002-05-14 15:41               ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2002-05-14 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context, ntg-context

On Monday 13 May 2002 05:29 pm, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
> Monday, May 13, 2002 John Culleton wrote:
>
> JC> I updated to the July 2001 TeXLive cdrom and then downloaded the
> JC> latest stable context. Now I get the run though to completion but
> JC> there is a message:
>
> JC> Fatal mem file error --- I'm stymied.
>
> Smells like you'd need to regenerate the metafun format. Just take
> the chance and regenerate everything with
>
> texexec --make en metafun mptopdf

Worked like a charm. Thanks!