* At a loss for Italian
@ 2002-05-20 13:08 v.demart
From: v.demart @ 2002-05-20 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Enough experienced with latex I'm now having a go at context under
linux.
My debian linux installation supports Italian under context. Therefore,
after having read every piece of docs I suppose I've selected every
option i nthe many configuration files to have context speak Italian to
no avail:
when I run "texexec test" I don't get "Capitolo" but still "Chapter",
the hyphenation is the english one and no chance of seeing the accented
vowels (I know that all these are different packages and options under
latex!).

Is there anyone out there able to tell me a step by step, an '\itemize(-
d), procedure to get context speak Italian?

Many thanks &
\ciao
Vittorio

* Re: At a loss for Italian
@ 2002-05-20 14:13 ` David Antos
From: David Antos @ 2002-05-20 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 03:08:48PM +0200, v.demart@libero.it wrote:
> My debian linux installation supports Italian under context. Therefore,
> after having read every piece of docs I suppose I've selected every
> option i nthe many configuration files to have context speak Italian to
> no avail:
> when I run "texexec test" I don't get "Capitolo" but still "Chapter",
> the hyphenation is the english one and no chance of seeing the accented
> vowels (I know that all these are different packages and options under
> latex!).

Have you said \mainlaguage[it] at the beginning of the document? It
should switch the language of generated texts and hyphenation, too.
I suppose Italian have some kind of modified cm fonts, so say also
\setupbodyfont[your_national_font].

If the hyphenation is still wrong, it means that in your format file
there are no hyphenation patterns for Italian. The easiest way to do it
is probably to change cont-usr.tex (say 'kpsewhich cont-usr.tex' to find
out where it is) and uncomment there the line \installlanguage [s!\it]
[c!status=\v!start] and re-generate the formats (with fmtutil and/or
texexec --make). This inserts Italian hyphenation patterns into all
formats you create.

D.A.

* Re: At a loss for Italian
@ 2002-05-20 17:43   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-05-20 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 04:13 PM 5/20/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 03:08:48PM +0200, v.demart@libero.it wrote:
> > My debian linux installation supports Italian under context. Therefore,
> > after having read every piece of docs I suppose I've selected every
> > option i nthe many configuration files to have context speak Italian to
> > no avail:
> > when I run "texexec test" I don't get "Capitolo" but still "Chapter",
> > the hyphenation is the english one and no chance of seeing the accented
> > vowels (I know that all these are different packages and options under
> > latex!).
>
>Have you said \mainlaguage[it] at the beginning of the document? It
>should switch the language of generated texts and hyphenation, too.
>I suppose Italian have some kind of modified cm fonts, so say also
>\setupbodyfont[your_national_font].
>
>If the hyphenation is still wrong, it means that in your format file
>there are no hyphenation patterns for Italian. The easiest way to do it
>is probably to change cont-usr.tex (say 'kpsewhich cont-usr.tex' to find
>out where it is) and uncomment there the line \installlanguage [s!\it]
>[c!status=\v!start] and re-generate the formats (with fmtutil and/or
>texexec --make). This inserts Italian hyphenation patterns into all
>formats you create.

in addition to this there is:

   texexec --make --lang=en,it

here a temp usr file is created with the "it" patterns enabled and
afterwards "en" is made the main language

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: At a loss for Italian
@ 2002-05-21 10:17 ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2002-05-21 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Monday, May 20, 2002 "v.demart@libero.it" wrote:

vdli> Enough experienced with latex I'm now having a go at context under
vdli> linux.
vdli> My debian linux installation supports Italian under context. Therefore,
vdli> after having read every piece of docs I suppose I've selected every
vdli> option i nthe many configuration files to have context speak Italian to
vdli> no avail:
vdli> when I run "texexec test" I don't get "Capitolo" but still "Chapter",
vdli> the hyphenation is the english one and no chance of seeing the accented
vdli> vowels (I know that all these are different packages and options under
vdli> latex!).

\mainlanguage[it]

would turn on italian as the main language (and thus select both
section texts and hyphenations patterns). This is more or less the
equivalent of \usepackage[italian]{babel} for LaTeX. To ensure
that ConTeXt knows about the Italian hyphenation patterns, have a
look at cont-usr.tex in your texmf/tex/context/user directory and
make sure that the line

  \installlanguage [\s!it] [\c!status=\v!start] % italian

is uncommented. If it's not, change the file and recreate the
cont-en format (assuming that's what you're using). You should not
need any other change.

To enable automatic recognition of the accented letters, you need
to use

\enableregime[il1]

(assuming that your text editor saves the extended characters in
ISO-Latin-1 format). This is more or less the equivalent of
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc} for LaTeX.

(BTW, there is a cont-it format (texexec --make it) with
pre-selected italian hyphenation patterns and where italian is
the main language; this format also has most ConTeXt commands
translated to italian, so that for example you use \iniziatesto
... \terminatesto instead of \starttext ... \stoptext --you may
want to give it a try.)

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: At a loss for Italian
@ 2002-05-21 12:59   ` Vittorio
From: Vittorio @ 2002-05-21 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: David Antos, v.demart

David Antos [20/05/02 16:13 +0200]:
> On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 03:08:48PM +0200, v.demart@libero.it wrote:
> > My debian linux installation supports Italian under context. Therefore,
> > after having read every piece of docs I suppose I've selected every
> > option i nthe many configuration files to have context speak Italian to
> > no avail:
> > when I run "texexec test" I don't get "Capitolo" but still "Chapter",
> > the hyphenation is the english one and no chance of seeing the accented
> > vowels (I know that all these are different packages and options under
> > latex!).
>
> Have you said \mainlaguage[it] at the beginning of the document? It
> should switch the language of generated texts and hyphenation, too.
> I suppose Italian have some kind of modified cm fonts, so say also
> \setupbodyfont[your_national_font].
>
> If the hyphenation is still wrong, it means that in your format file
> there are no hyphenation patterns for Italian. The easiest way to do it
> is probably to change cont-usr.tex (say 'kpsewhich cont-usr.tex' to find
> out where it is) and uncomment there the line \installlanguage [s!\it]
> [c!status=\v!start] and re-generate the formats (with fmtutil and/or
> texexec --make). This inserts Italian hyphenation patterns into all
> formats you create.

I've checked everything you've been suggesting in this thread and now
I have Italian as a main language. So now I've "Capitolo" instead of
"Chapter" but.......
 the hyphenation is still the english one!

What next?

Vittorio

* Re: At a loss for Italian
@ 2002-05-21 15:37   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-05-21 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 12:17 PM 5/21/2002 +0200, you wrote:

>Monday, May 20, 2002 "v.demart@libero.it" wrote:
>
>vdli> Enough experienced with latex I'm now having a go at context under
>vdli> linux.
>vdli> My debian linux installation supports Italian under context. Therefore,
>vdli> after having read every piece of docs I suppose I've selected every
>vdli> option i nthe many configuration files to have context speak Italian to
>vdli> no avail:
>vdli> when I run "texexec test" I don't get "Capitolo" but still "Chapter",
>vdli> the hyphenation is the english one and no chance of seeing the accented
>vdli> vowels (I know that all these are different packages and options under
>vdli> latex!).
>
>\mainlanguage[it]
>
>would turn on italian as the main language (and thus select both
>section texts and hyphenations patterns). This is more or less the
>equivalent of \usepackage[italian]{babel} for LaTeX. To ensure
>that ConTeXt knows about the Italian hyphenation patterns, have a
>look at cont-usr.tex in your texmf/tex/context/user directory and
>make sure that the line
>
>   \installlanguage [\s!it] [\c!status=\v!start] % italian

maybe we should include more patterns by default, i have no idea what the
costs are in terms of mem

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re[2]: At a loss for Italian
@ 2002-05-21 22:07     ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2002-05-21 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Tuesday, May 21, 2002 Hans Hagen wrote:

>>   \installlanguage [\s!it] [\c!status=\v!start] % italian

HH> maybe we should include more patterns by default, i have no idea what the
HH> costs are in terms of mem

Italian patterns are very economic :-) The responsible tries very
hard to keep them at a minimum. If they are not the smallest, they
get pretty close to that. You can probably preload *them*. Don't
know about the other languages. It's written in the log file.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: At a loss for Italian
@ 2002-05-22 15:56   ` Vittorio
From: Vittorio @ 2002-05-22 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Giuseppe Bilotta [21/05/02 12:17 +0200]:

> Monday, May 20, 2002 "v.demart@libero.it" wrote:
>
> vdli> Enough experienced with latex I'm now having a go at context under
> vdli> linux.
> vdli> My debian linux installation supports Italian under context. Therefore,
> vdli> after having read every piece of docs I suppose I've selected every
> vdli> option i nthe many configuration files to have context speak Italian to
> vdli> no avail:
> vdli> when I run "texexec test" I don't get "Capitolo" but still "Chapter",
> vdli> the hyphenation is the english one and no chance of seeing the accented
> vdli> vowels (I know that all these are different packages and options under
> vdli> latex!).
>
> \mainlanguage[it]
>
> would turn on italian as the main language (and thus select both
> section texts and hyphenations patterns). This is more or less the
> equivalent of \usepackage[italian]{babel} for LaTeX. To ensure
> that ConTeXt knows about the Italian hyphenation patterns, have a
> look at cont-usr.tex in your texmf/tex/context/user directory and
> make sure that the line
>
>   \installlanguage [\s!it] [\c!status=\v!start] % italian
>
> is uncommented. If it's not, change the file and recreate the
> cont-en format (assuming that's what you're using). You should not
> need any other change.
>
> To enable automatic recognition of the accented letters, you need
> to use
>
> \enableregime[il1]
>
> (assuming that your text editor saves the extended characters in
> ISO-Latin-1 format). This is more or less the equivalent of
> \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc} for LaTeX.

My Context now speaks Italian ("Capitolo", "Indice" instead of
"Chapter","Contents") but still don't recognizes accented vowels even
though I followed your suggestions literally.

What should I check next?

Vittorio

* Re[2]: At a loss for Italian
@ 2002-05-22 17:07     ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2002-05-22 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Wednesday, May 22, 2002 Vittorio wrote:

V> My Context now speaks Italian ("Capitolo", "Indice" instead of
V> "Chapter","Contents") but still don't recognizes accented vowels even
V> though I followed your suggestions literally.

V> What should I check next?

(1) ConTeXt version?

(2) Editor used?

(3) File format (encoding) in which your ConTeXt documents are
saved?

(4) What did you use in LaTeX to let LaTeX accept accented letters
as such?

Note that the following snippet works for me (ConTeXt 2002.5.9) on
a file set to save in ISO-Latin-1 encoding:

\enableregime[il1]

\starttext

àèìòùáéíóú
äëïöüâêîôû

\stoptext

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re[2]: At a loss for Italian
@ 2002-05-22 21:55       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-05-22 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 12:07 AM 5/22/2002 +0200, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

>Tuesday, May 21, 2002 Hans Hagen wrote:
> >>
> >>   \installlanguage [\s!it] [\c!status=\v!start] % italian
>
>HH> maybe we should include more patterns by default, i have no idea what the
>HH> costs are in terms of mem
>
>Italian patterns are very economic :-) The responsible tries very
>hard to keep them at a minimum. If they are not the smallest, they
>get pretty close to that. You can probably preload *them*. Don't
>know about the other languages. It's written in the log file.

ok, i'll add them to the nl/de/en/uk formats