From: Idris S Hamid <ishamid@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: texexec & teTeX
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 07:00:19 -0600	[thread overview]

Thank you both for your help. I'm halfway there now but no cigar yet:-)

On Monday 27 May 2002 01:33, Siep wrote:
> In later versions of teTeX, texexec is a little script that tries to
> find and run the real texexec.pl in the texmf/context/perltk
> directory:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> what=`echo $0 | sed 's@.*/@@'`
> p=`kpsewhich -progname=context -format='other text files' $what.pl`
> { test -n "$p" && test -f "$p"; } \
>
>   || { echo "\`$what.pl' not found."; exit 1; }
>
> perl "$p" "$@"

I restored it, but I did not find any lines like this in the original
/usr/TeX/bin/i386-linux/texexec. I'm using TeXLive6.

On Monday 27 May 2002 00:24, Michael Hallgren wrote:
> Isn't it that the #! line (path to perl) in your script needs to be
> adjusted?
> ('which' to find perl on your system, then edit the first line of
> texexec.pl.)

Note that both the new texexec and the one from TL6 contain the same initial
entry:

eval '(exit $?0)' && eval 'exec perl -S $0 ${1+"$@"}' && eval 'exec perl -S $0
$argv:q'
        if 0;
:<snip>
#D We started with a hack provided by Thomas Esser. This
#D expression replaces the unix specific line \type
#D {#!/usr/bin/perl}.

In any case, backing up to the old TL6 version (texexec 2.5) works. My
question now:

How do I safely update to the latest texexec 2.8? I dumped cont-tmf into
/texmf so context/perltk has the new files with the pl extension. I have 2
copies of the original texexec 2.5: one in bin/i386-linux and one in
context/perltk. I'm thoroughly confused about what to do, and I DON'T want to
depend on an old texexec that may cause me other problems with the newer
files.

Best wishes
Idris
--