* \columns and widows.
@ 2002-05-29 19:48 John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2002-05-29 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

The \columns command works sometimes and not sometimes.  Is there a
way to force end-of-column similar to \page[yes] for pages?

Is there a way to discourage club (orphan) and widow lines between columns?
I have already cranked up \clubpenalty and \widowpenalty to 1000 each.
--
John Culleton
Able Indexers and Typesetters

D O T E A S Y - "Join the web hosting revolution!"
             http://www.doteasy.com

* Re: \columns and widows.
@ 2002-06-09 23:07 ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2002-06-09 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday 29 May 2002 03:48 pm, John Culleton wrote:
> The \columns command works sometimes and not sometimes.  Is there a
> way to force end-of-column similar to \page[yes] for pages?

Well, first I corrected myself and use \column which is what the
manual specifies. It still doesn't work however. I have a situation where I
want to force a column break at one point and later at the end of the page I
use
 \page[yes].
Context ignores the \column command, whether I say balance=yes
or balance=no. So again, how do I FORCE a column break?
--

@ 2002-06-11  7:01   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-06-11  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 07:07 PM 6/9/2002 -0400, John Culleton wrote:
>On Wednesday 29 May 2002 03:48 pm, John Culleton wrote:
> > The \columns command works sometimes and not sometimes.  Is there a
> > way to force end-of-column similar to \page[yes] for pages?
> >

>Well, first I corrected myself and use \column which is what the
>manual specifies. It still doesn't work however. I have a situation where I
>want to force a column break at one point and later at the end of the page I
>use
>  \page[yes].
>Context ignores the \column command, whether I say balance=yes
>or balance=no. So again, how do I FORCE a column break?

\vskip100cm may be of help

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: accents (was \columns and widows.)
@ 2002-06-12 20:07     ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2002-06-12 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Tuesday 11 June 2002 03:01 am, Hans Hagen wrote:
> At 07:07 PM 6/9/2002 -0400, John Culleton wrote:
> >On Wednesday 29 May 2002 03:48 pm, John Culleton wrote:
> > > The \columns command works sometimes and not sometimes.  Is there a
> > > way to force end-of-column similar to \page[yes] for pages?
> >
> >Well, first I corrected myself and use \column which is what the
> >manual specifies. It still doesn't work however. I have a situation where
> > I want to force a column break at one point and later at the end of the
> > page I use
> >  \page[yes].
> >Context ignores the \column command, whether I say balance=yes
> >or balance=no. So again, how do I FORCE a column break?
>
> \vskip100cm may be of help
>
> Hans

On my particular document that is overkill. I settled for something around
\vskip 3in
depending on the particular subsection. The bigger the \vskip the shorter the
following column, which is interesting.
Now I have accents that don't accent. The string divorc\'{e}e comes out
divorcee without any accent mark. The type is ``pncr8r sa 1'' which means
the main body font is New Century Schoolbook Roman.

John Culleton

@ 2002-06-13  7:10       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-06-13  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 04:07 PM 6/12/2002 -0400, John Culleton wrote:

>On my particular document that is overkill. I settled for something around
>\vskip 3in
>depending on the particular subsection. The bigger the \vskip the shorter the
>following column, which is interes...

actually, you may give the following a try:

\column[yes]