* Re: funny looking character
@ 2002-05-30 11:04 ` Johannes Hüsing
From: Johannes Hüsing @ 2002-05-30 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 09:51:44AM +0000, Kris Hermans wrote:
> Hi,

Ahoj,

> in my document (an html manual), I want to type source code as verbatim, so
> I use \starttyping \stoptyping. Also I want to have this in a sans serif
> font (I am using CMR).

That is cmss then.

> % typeset verbatim text with sans serif
> % a convention popularized by the context manuals

No, ConTeXt uses a typewriter font, not a sans serif font. Typewriter fonts
are normally not classified into serif and sans serif fonts, although some
of them have little strokes that resemble serif (cmtt, courier for instance) and
some of them don't (orator, ocrb).

> \setuptyping[letter=\ss]

This sets up cmss as the main font for typing ...

> But when I compile my document, some characters look funny, especially the
> < and >

... which doesn't include the "<" and ">" signs. That's because cmss is designed
for texts, and the creator of cmss considers the "less than" or "greater than"
mathematical symbols, and does not include them in the cmss font.

You might consider using cmtt for monospace text when mixing it with Computer
Modern. It fits into the rest very well (x-height, overall greyness) and
consumes little space compared with eg courier.

> I include a simple document, which demonstrates this.

Please don't, these attachments enlarge the disk space I need for mails.

Greetings

Johannes
--
Johannes Hüsing   There is something fascinating about science. One gets
hannes@ruhrau.de  such wholesale returns of conjecture from such a

* funny looking character
@ 2002-10-23 18:42 Kris Hermans
From: Kris Hermans @ 2002-10-23 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)