* \placefigure unpredicatable.
@ 2002-05-21 14:03 John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2002-05-21 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have found the \placefigure command to be somewhat unpredictable.
I am doing book reviews on 11 x8.5 format (i.e. landscape), double column.
At the head of each review on the left side of the column I have some short
lines ended with \hfil\break. On the right side I have a thumbnail of the
book, typically 1.5in x 2in.

If I use \placefigure the picture ends up in the middle and the short lines
fall under it. If however I do something like:
-----------------------------------
\subsubsection{Get Published!}
\rightline{\pdfimage{sansaveria.png}}
\vglue -2in
Penny C. Sansavieri\bk
1stBooks Library October 2001\bk
Paperback 6 x 9 165pp. indexed \$15.54\bk

P.O. Box 421156\bk
San Diego, CA 92142\bk
penny@booksbypen.com\bk
www.booksbypen.com\bk
858-560-0121\bk
ISBN 0-75963-824-1
------------------------------
Then it works. (\bk is a macro for \hfil \break).

--
Able Indexers and Typesetters
http://wexfordpress.com

D O T E A S Y - "Join the web hosting revolution!"
             http://www.doteasy.com

* Re: \placefigure unpredicatable.
@ 2002-05-27 20:30 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-05-27 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 10:03 AM 5/21/2002 -0400, John Culleton wrote:
>I have found the \placefigure command to be somewhat unpredictable.
>I am doing book reviews on 11 x8.5 format (i.e. landscape), double column.
>At the head of each review on the left side of the column I have some short
>lines ended with \hfil\break. On the right side I have a thumbnail of the
>book, typically 1.5in x 2in.
>
>If I use \placefigure the picture ends up in the middle and the short lines
>fall under it. If however I do something like:
>-----------------------------------
>\subsubsection{Get Published!}
>\rightline{\pdfimage{sansaveria.png}}
>\vglue -2in
>Penny C. Sansavieri\bk
>1stBooks Library October 2001\bk
>Paperback 6 x 9 165pp. indexed \$15.54\bk

wait (or try) for columnsets, they are more robust and give you al lot of
control over floats

also, processing multi columns in grid mode is more robust too with regards
to floats

(the multi column mechanism tries hard to balance so glue spoils this game)

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re[2]: \placefigure unpredicatable.
@ 2002-05-28 17:24   ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2002-05-28 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Monday, May 27, 2002 Hans Hagen wrote:

HH> wait (or try) for columnsets, they are more robust and give you al lot of
HH> control over floats

What are we supposed to read to learn about columnsets?

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re[2]: \placefigure unpredicatable.
@ 2002-05-28 20:50     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-05-28 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 07:24 PM 5/28/2002 +0200, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

>Monday, May 27, 2002 Hans Hagen wrote:
>

>HH> wait (or try) for columnsets, they are more robust and give you al lot of
>HH> control over floats
>
>What are we supposed to read to learn about columnsets?

in a to be published manual -)

[i'm currently implementing a series of multi column layouts so ...]

@ 2002-05-29 12:32   ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2002-05-29 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Monday 27 May 2002 04:30 pm, Hans Hagen wrote:
> At 10:03 AM 5/21/2002 -0400, John Culleton wrote:
> >I have found the \placefigure command to be somewhat unpredictable.
> >I am doing book reviews on 11 x8.5 format (i.e. landscape), double column.
> >At the head of each review on the left side of the column I have some
> > short lines ended with \hfil\break. On the right side I have a thumbnail
> > of the book, typically 1.5in x 2in.
> >
> >If I use \placefigure the picture ends up in the middle and the short
> > lines fall under it. If however I do something like:
> >-----------------------------------
> >\subsubsection{Get Published!}
> >\rightline{\pdfimage{sansaveria.png}}
> >\vglue -2in
> >Penny C. Sansavieri\bk
> >1stBooks Library October 2001\bk
> >Paperback 6 x 9 165pp. indexed \$15.54\bk
>
> wait (or try) for columnsets, they are more robust and give you al lot of
> control over floats
>
> also, processing multi columns in grid mode is more robust too with regards
> to floats

Float is perhaps a misnomer. I know where I want to place the
graphic in relation to the other text.

since I am already in double column mode subdividing the column further
would be difficult. I would have to go into 4 column mode temporarily
and then back to two column --- not a very practical approach!

I will try again with the \startfiguretext command as described in
``..an Excursion''.

A side question.  What does the command \dorecurse
do?

--
John Culleton
Able Indexers and Typesetters
http://wexfordpress.com

D O T E A S Y - "Join the web hosting revolution!"
             http://www.doteasy.com

* Re: Re[2]: \placefigure unpredicatable.
@ 2002-05-31 21:58       ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2002-05-31 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Tuesday 28 May 2002 04:50 pm, Hans Hagen wrote:
> At 07:24 PM 5/28/2002 +0200, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
> >Monday, May 27, 2002 Hans Hagen wrote:
> >

> >HH> wait (or try) for columnsets, they are more robust and give you al lot
> > of HH> control over floats
> >
> >What are we supposed to read to learn about columnsets?
>
> in a to be published manual -)
>
> [i'm currently implementing a series of multi column layouts so ...]
>
> Hans

What I (we) need is a facility to place a figure in a column and flow text
around it, or place a figure in the column in the same position as a
``dropped cap''.   And we need to have column balancing too :)
--
John Culleton