* Re: newbi: config
       [not found] <5.1.0.14.1.20020606111535.0346cd20@server-1>
@ 2002-06-06 10:06 ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2002-06-06 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG-ConTeXt

Hi,

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Hans Hagen wrote:
> > > or even
> > >     $pm_path =~ s/texutil.*?$//i ;
> >Then better
> >       $pm_path =~ s/texutil[^/]*$//i;
> are you sure about that? what excatly does this ^/ stand for ?
I ment [^\/] of cause.
[a] matches only "a" and [^a] matches all characters except "a".
Thus [^\/] should match all letters which are not "/" preventing problems
with paths which contain 'texutil:

~> perl -e 'my $foo = "/foo/texutil/bar/texutil.pl"; $foo =~ s/texutil.*?$//i; print "$foo\n";'
/foo/
~> perl -e 'my $foo = "/foo/texutil/bar/texutil.pl"; $foo =~ s/texutil[^\/]*$//i; print "$foo\n";'
/foo/texutil/bar/

Tobias

* Re: newbi: config
@ 2002-06-06 11:40   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2002-06-06 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: pragma, ntg-context

Oops, my mistake. But even better is:

s/(.*)texutil.*?$/$1/i

(which is what I *meant* all along :-))

The advantage is that this doesnt depend on the path separator.

--
groeten,

Taco

* Re: newbi: config
@ 2002-06-07  9:09   ` Eros Albertazzi
From: Eros Albertazzi @ 2002-06-07  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the time spent in answering, I appreciate and admire your
efforts....
hope I can pay you back with successfull presentation and A0 posters (my
goals) make with context (articles are nailed down to  latex and revtex
)...
surely I wan't start bugging about german..

1-

> >figures        : figure As can not be found
>
> what is the suffix of As? Looks like you use a graphicformat that is not
> known to pdftex or dvips

My figures are (natively) .eps , I was under the impression that texexec
was taking care of the conversion, anyhow running texutil first and
separatly is not a big deal....
it was just a problem of knowing what to do.

2-
>esp not easy since you start with the tricky things: graphictext uses
>tex/mp/gs etc ... -)

>\starttext
>\startMPcode
>  graphictext "MP" scaled 8 reversefill
>   withdrawcolor .7blue withfillcolor .7white
>   dashed evenly withpen pencircle scaled 1pt ;
>\stopMPcode
>\stoptext

Metafun manual starts this way....
I installed pstoedit and now if I texexec  the example above it creates
a .ps file (mpgraph.1) that has what should be, but it still dosn't get
into the (final) .pdf

Bottom line (just a suggestion, but surely you thought already): I fell
that including  a whole set of tests and compiled files (even from
simple to complex one, fonts, figures...) in context .zip distribution
may help checking and testing, somehow even saving question time, and
also, even expert users or developers, can have a quality control to
always relay on....

3-
>>pdftex         : needs map file: original-vogel-symbol.map
>no problem, just a warning

>Warning: pdfetex (file /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/pdftex.map):
>invalid entry
>  for `rtxptmro': SlantFont/ExtendFont can be used only with embedded T1
>fonts

>these are warnings: looks like some of you rmap files define slanted
>versions of embedded fonts, you may want force embedding (good idea anyway
>even for times etc)

Maybe I have a wrong attitude, but I am accustum to think that a warning
is just an indication of an error (soon or later....otherwise would be
just redundant information to cut)  and here, about fonts, my ignorance
is deep,.. so my worry and luck of confidence.
Unfourtunatly I have no much time to sistematicaly understand... like a
black box that is better not to open, to not get overloaded....

How can I force embedding??

Regards and thanks.
--
Eros Albertazzi
CNR-IMM, Sez. Bologna

* Re: newbi: config
@ 2002-06-06  8:54         ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2002-06-06  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Taco wrote:
> or even
>     $pm_path =~ s/texutil.*?$//i ;
Then better
      $pm_path =~ s/texutil[^/]*$//i;

Tobias

* Re: newbi: config
@ 2002-06-06  8:48         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-06-06  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Tobias Burnus, ntg-context

At 10:24 AM 6/6/2002 +0200, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

>     $pm_path =~ s/texutil.*?$//i ;

ok, done, (needed anyway since there are now also .exe's on tl7)

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: newbi: config
@ 2002-06-06  8:24       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2002-06-06  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: pragma, ntg-context

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002 09:55:11 +0200 (CEST)
"Tobias Burnus" <tobias.burnus@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Hi Hans,
>
> > how does the message look like?
>     $pm_path = $0 ;
> print "\nDEBUG 1: $pm_path\n";
>     $pm_path =~ s/\\/\//o ;
> print "\nDEBUG 2: $pm_path\n";

>     $pm_path =~ s/texutil\.pl.*//io ;

Hans, you should change this regexp above into:

    $pm_path =~ s/texutil(\.pl)?.*//i ;

or even

    $pm_path =~ s/texutil.*?$//i ;

--
groeten,

Taco

* Re: newbi: config
@ 2002-06-06  7:55     ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2002-06-06  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

> how does the message look like?
    $pm_path = $0 ;
print "\nDEBUG 1: $pm_path\n";
    $pm_path =~ s/\\/\//o ;
print "\nDEBUG 2: $pm_path\n";
    $pm_path =~ s/texutil\.pl.*//io ;
print "\nDEBUG 3: $pm_path\n";
    if ($pm_path eq "") { $pm_path = "./" } }
print "\nDEBUG 4: $pm_path\n";
use lib $pm_path ;

produces:

DEBUG 1: /home/tob/bin/texutil

DEBUG 2: /home/tob/bin/texutil

DEBUG 3: /home/tob/bin/texutil
Parameter to use lib must be directory, not file at /home/tob/bin/texutil
line 1016

DEBUG 4: /home/tob/bin/texutil

Tobias

* Re: newbi: config
       [not found] ` <Pine.LNX.4.44.0206050954160.22693-100000@hils.physik.fu-be rlin.de>
@ 2002-06-05 21:54 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-06-05 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 09:02 PM 6/4/2002 +0200, Eros Albertazzi wrote:
>I have update ConTeXt and pdflatex (and regenerate .fmt etc..etc..)

context is not related to pdflatex, just pdfetex will do

>but  now I am trying the to texexec the file (As.eps is there)
>
>% output=pdf
>\starttext
>\placefigure
>   [top][fig:one]
>   {fig}
>   {\externalfigure[As]
>     [width=1.\textwidth]}
>\stoptext
>
>I have:
>  TeXExec 2.8 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2002

when you use pdftex, normally the tuf files are not needed

@ 2002-06-05 21:52     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-06-05 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 01:01 PM 6/5/2002 +0200, Eros Albertazzi wrote:

>Let me take again your time, sorry but being alone w/o teachers in my

well, you live in italy so you can be teached even in italian by GB (aka
Oblomov, on this list)

>istitution and moving to ConText is not that easy. Running the example

esp not easy since you start with the tricky things: graphictext uses
tex/mp/gs etc ... -)

>\starttext
>\startMPcode
>  graphictext "MP" scaled 8 reversefill
>   withdrawcolor .7blue withfillcolor .7white
>   dashed evenly withpen pencircle scaled 1pt ;
>\stopMPcode
>\stoptext
>
>I obtain  an almost empty page with just page number 1 at top and
>several warning (maybe unrelated to the result)
>
>pdftex         : needs map file: original-context-symbol.map
>pdftex         : needs map file: pl0-ams-cmr.map
>pdftex         : needs map file: original-vogel-symbol.map

no problem, just a warning

>Warning: pdfetex (file /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/pdftex.map):
>invalid entry
>  for `rtxphvbo': SlantFont/ExtendFont can be used only with embedded T1
>fonts
>Warning: pdfetex (file /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/pdftex.map):
>invalid entry
>  for `rtxphvro': SlantFont/ExtendFont can be used only with embedded T1
>fonts
>Warning: pdfetex (file /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/pdftex.map):
>invalid entry
>  for `rtxptmbo': SlantFont/ExtendFont can be used only with embedded T1
>fonts
>Warning: pdfetex (file /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/pdftex.map):
>invalid entry
>  for `rtxptmro': SlantFont/ExtendFont can be used only with embedded T1
>fonts
>}]

these are warnings: looks like some of you rmap files define slanted
versions of embedded fonts, you may want force embedding (good idea anyway
even for times etc)

in order to get graphictext working, are you sure that makempy runs ok,
i.e. that pstoedit is installed and in your path?

@ 2002-06-05 20:05   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-06-05 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-06-05 11:01   ` Eros Albertazzi
From: Eros Albertazzi @ 2002-06-05 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tobias Burnus wrote:
> Using the PDF output format one cannot use the .eps figures. You have to
> convert the EPS file to PDF. For example using 'texutil --epstopdf *.eps'

Thanks.... I was aware of that.. I just tought (or I should say I had
imagined) that texexec was taking care of all steps...

@ 2002-06-05  7:59 ` Tobias Burnus
       [not found] ` <Pine.LNX.4.44.0206050954160.22693-100000@hils.physik.fu-be rlin.de>
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2002-06-05  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallo,

On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, Eros Albertazzi wrote:
> I have update ConTeXt and pdflatex (and regenerate .fmt etc..etc..)
> but  now I am trying the to texexec the file (As.eps is there)
Using the PDF output format one cannot use the .eps figures. You have to
convert the EPS file to PDF. For example using 'texutil --epstopdf *.eps'

> figures        : figure As can not be found

> Parameter to use lib must be directory, not file at /usr/bin/texutil
> line 1013
I see this as well but I doesn't seem to harm.

Tobias

* newbi: config
@ 2002-06-04 19:02 Eros Albertazzi
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Eros Albertazzi @ 2002-06-04 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

--cutted---
  sorting and checking : running texutil
Parameter to use lib must be directory, not file at /usr/bin/texutil
line 1013

Any clue on what I am missing (understanding and config commands....)
Regards
--
Eros Albertazzi
CNR-IMM, Sez. Bologna