* Writing a thesis in context
@ 2002-06-06  9:37 Randall Skelton
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Randall Skelton @ 2002-06-06  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I have been using ConTeXt/Metapost for presentations for the past year and
I am just starting to write my thesis... I am familiar with TeX macros and
writing LaTeX classes so I could probably hammer out my own 'thesis.cls'
in a few days but there are features of ConTeXt that I now find difficult
to live without!  I am looking for a good ConTeXt template document to get
started with that supports the usual assortment of figures, tables,
equations and bibliographic references.  Ideally, I would like to be able
to produce PDFs for both screen and print-- much like the ConTeXt manuals.

Anything to get me started would be a great help!

Many thanks,
Randall

* Re: Writing a thesis in context
@ 2002-06-06 11:26 ` David Antos
From: David Antos @ 2002-06-06 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 10:37:09AM +0100, Randall Skelton wrote:
> I have been using ConTeXt/Metapost for presentations for the past year and
> I am just starting to write my thesis... I am familiar with TeX macros and
> writing LaTeX classes so I could probably hammer out my own 'thesis.cls'
> in a few days but there are features of ConTeXt that I now find difficult
> to live without!  I am looking for a good ConTeXt template document to get
> started with that supports the usual assortment of figures, tables,
> equations and bibliographic references.  Ideally, I would like to be able
> to produce PDFs for both screen and print-- much like the ConTeXt manuals.

Hello,

I don't know if my source is good :-), but you can have a look at my
thesis typeset with ConTeXt, with tables, flowcharts, and bibliography.
Moreover, there is a screen version, too, including the CWEB source code
of my program.

You can get all of that at
http://www.fi.muni.cz/~xantos/patlib

BTW, I think it's much easier to produce paper documents if you know how
to make a presentation for screen :-)

D.A.

* Re: Writing a thesis in context
@ 2002-06-06 11:55 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2002-06-06 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Try the pdftex manual. It's TeX source is in ConTeXt and available
from pragma's website:

http://www.pragma-ade.com/pdftex/pdftex-t.tex

--
groeten,

Taco

* Re: Writing a thesis in context
@ 2002-06-06 12:36   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-06-06 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 01:26 PM 6/6/2002 +0200, David Antos wrote:

>BTW, I think it's much easier to produce paper documents if you know how
>to make a presentation for screen :-)

indeed, making screen docs is a good exercise for structuring and once
you've made a screen style, paper styles setups look rather simple

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Writing a thesis in context
@ 2002-06-24  2:37 ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2002-06-24  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday 06 June 2002 05:37 am, Randall Skelton wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been using ConTeXt/Metapost for presentations for the past year and
> I am just starting to write my thesis... I am familiar with TeX macros and
> writing LaTeX classes so I could probably hammer out my own 'thesis.cls'
> in a few days but there are features of ConTeXt that I now find difficult
> to live without!  I am looking for a good ConTeXt template document to get
> started with that supports the usual assortment of figures, tables,
> equations and bibliographic references.  Ideally, I would like to be able
> to produce PDFs for both screen and print-- much like the ConTeXt manuals.
>
> Anything to get me started would be a great help!
>
> Many thanks,
> Randall

A god example of a dual-purpose document is the PdfTex manual, which
is written in Context and is available in source form.

John Culleotn

D O T E A S Y - "Join the web hosting revolution!"
             http://www.doteasy.com