* Bug in TeX mode!
@ 2002-06-19 19:57 Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2002-06-19 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hans Hagen

In TeX and Gamma modes, the default settings for headings like \chapter don't
work properly. In the following example,

============test.tex==========
\starttext
\chapter{Test}
\stoptext

the default format gives the correct results (\bfc) but

--tex=tex and --tex=omega

do not execute the size changing commands.

I have a big deadline approaching so I'm desparate:-)

Best wishes
Idris
--
Dr. Idris S Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: Bug in TeX mode!
@ 2002-06-23 11:13 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-06-23 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 01:57 PM 6/19/2002 -0600, Idris S Hamid wrote:
>In TeX and Gamma modes, the default settings for headings like \chapter don't
>work properly. In the following example,
>
>============test.tex==========
>\starttext
>\chapter{Test}
>\stoptext
>
>the default format gives the correct results (\bfc) but
>
>--tex=tex and --tex=omega
>
>do not execute the size changing commands.

I cannot even generate a decent omega any longer with my current win binaries

I wonder why it fails, since this is just rather normal font stuff,

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Bug in TeX mode!
@ 2002-06-23 21:54   ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2002-06-23 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >the default format gives the correct results (\bfc) but
> >
> >--tex=tex and --tex=omega
> >
> >do not execute the size changing commands.
>
> I cannot even generate a decent omega any longer with my current win
> binaries

Fabrice wrote me a few days ago saying that he will be releasing a new batch
of 1.15 binaries as well as 1.23 binaries (so a user can pick the one
desired).

But if we can get things working for --tex=tex that should automatically take
care of the toc and ch. headings problems for omega as well. I think footnote
numbering has the same problem as well.

I wanted to add Arabic to a report I'm writing in ConTeXt and I'm too far
along to fall back on LaTeX

> I wonder why it fails, since this is just rather normal font stuff,

Weird indeed...

Idris

--
Dr. Idris S Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: Bug in TeX mode!
@ 2002-06-24  8:41     ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]       ` <200206240840.07157.ishamid@attbi.com>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-06-24  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 03:54 PM 6/23/2002 -0600, Idris S Hamid wrote:
> > >the default format gives the correct results (\bfc) but
> > >
> > >--tex=tex and --tex=omega
> > >
> > >do not execute the size changing commands.
> >
> > I cannot even generate a decent omega any longer with my current win
> > binaries
>
>Fabrice wrote me a few days ago saying that he will be releasing a new batch
>of 1.15 binaries as well as 1.23 binaries (so a user can pick the one
>desired).
>
>But if we can get things working for --tex=tex that should automatically take
>care of the toc and ch. headings problems for omega as well. I think footnote
>numbering has the same problem as well.
>
>I wanted to add Arabic to a report I'm writing in ConTeXt and I'm too far
>along to fall back on LaTeX
>
> > I wonder why it fails, since this is just rather normal font stuff,
>
>Weird indeed...

can you test tex versus etex ?

@ 2002-06-24 13:22       ` Idris S Hamid
       [not found]       ` <200206240840.07157.ishamid@attbi.com>
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2002-06-24 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday 24 June 2002 02:41, Hans Hagen wrote:
> [...]

[snip]

> can you test tex versus etex ?

I did that; --tex=tex does not behave properly. It gives the same problems as
--tex=omega.

Idris
--
Dr. Idris S Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: Bug in TeX mode!
       [not found]       ` <200206240840.07157.ishamid@attbi.com>
@ 2002-06-24 16:09         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-06-24 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 08:40 AM 6/24/2002 -0600, Idris S Hamid wrote:
> > are you saying that etex works ok? what is your (minimal) test file ?
>
>Here are my results:
>
>pdfetex works
>
>etex works
>
>tex does not (echoed options and no font switching)
>
>omega does not (ditto)

ah, indeed tex specific; some time ago i have optimized a couple of test
macros but while testing only optimizedthe etex specific ones. Normally
this does not hurt. But, because this optimization makes those
\let\next\... carry over \else/fi's obsolete, i occasionally optimize other
macros that depend on those test macros, which means that an not yet
optimized pure tex text macro gets in the way; took me a while to track
that down -)

Although you can probably do with a new syst-gen.tex, i suggest that you
take the beta i'm uploading now (takes some 10 minutes)

@ 2002-06-25  3:49           ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2002-06-25  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

> Although you can probably do with a new syst-gen.tex, i suggest that you
> take the beta i'm uploading now (takes some 10 minutes)

I downloaded (hours later) it but it appears that the newest files are dated
June 7. Is this the right one?

Best
Idris

--
Dr. Idris S Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: Bug in TeX mode!
@ 2002-06-25  4:44             ` Lei Wang
From: Lei Wang @ 2002-06-25  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think the link of the beta is wrong. it seems the correct link is:

http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/beta/cont-tmf.zip

Wang
> > Although you can probably do with a new syst-gen.tex, i suggest that you
> > take the beta i'm uploading now (takes some 10 minutes)
>
> I downloaded (hours later) it but it appears that the newest files are dated
> June 7. Is this the right one?
>
> Best
> Idris
>
> --
> Dr. Idris S Hamid
> Department of Philosophy
> Colorado State University
> Fort Collins, CO 80526

* Re: Bug in TeX mode!
@ 2002-06-25 16:04               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-06-25 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 11:44 PM 6/24/2002 -0500, Lei Wang wrote:
>I think the link of the beta is wrong. it seems the correct link is:
>
>http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/beta/cont-tmf.zip

hm. looks like my updating script messes things up, i'll have a look!