* loose paragraph formatting
@ 2002-06-27 14:09 Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2002-06-27 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear gang,

For a paragraph that gives an overfull \hbox I need to declare some looseness.
I tried

\bgroup
\setuptolerance[stretch]
<paragraph>
\egroup

but that did not do anything.

Is there a declaration instead of setup that I can use for this kind of
situation?

Idris
--
Dr. Idris S Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: loose paragraph formatting
@ 2002-06-27 22:43 ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2002-06-27 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Thursday, June 27, 2002 Idris S Hamid wrote:

ISH> Dear gang,

ISH> For a paragraph that gives an overfull \hbox I need to declare some looseness.
ISH> I tried

ISH> \bgroup
ISH> \setuptolerance[stretch]
ISH> <paragraph>
ISH> \egroup

ISH> but that did not do anything.

ISH> Is there a declaration instead of setup that I can use for this kind of
ISH> situation?

I think you MUST end the paragraph with a \par or a blank line
BEFORE the group ends, or TeX will discard the changes
you've made to the formatting parameters. (BTW, ConTeXt has its
own grouping commands, \start ... \stop.)

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: loose paragraph formatting
@ 2002-06-28  3:01   ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2002-06-28  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Thursday 27 June 2002 16:43, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

> ISH> \bgroup
> ISH> \setuptolerance[stretch]
> ISH> <paragraph>
> ISH> \egroup
>
> ISH> but that did not do anything.
>
> ISH> Is there a declaration instead of setup that I can use for this kind
> of ISH> situation?
>
> I think you MUST end the paragraph with a \par or a blank line
> BEFORE the group ends, or TeX will discard the changes
> you've made to the formatting parameters. (BTW, ConTeXt has its
> own grouping commands, \start ... \stop.)

\start
\setuptolerance[stretch]
<paragraph>\par
\stop

did not work either and I still get an overfull \box:->

Idris

--

@ 2002-06-28  6:36     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-06-28  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 09:01 PM 6/27/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>On Thursday 27 June 2002 16:43, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>
> > ISH> \bgroup
> > ISH> \setuptolerance[stretch]
> > ISH> <paragraph>
> > ISH> \egroup
> >
> > ISH> but that did not do anything.
> >
> > ISH> Is there a declaration instead of setup that I can use for this kind
> > of ISH> situation?
> >
> > I think you MUST end the paragraph with a \par or a blank line
> > BEFORE the group ends, or TeX will discard the changes
> > you've made to the formatting parameters. (BTW, ConTeXt has its
> > own grouping commands, \start ... \stop.)
>
>\start
>\setuptolerance[stretch]
><paragraph>\par
>\stop
>
>did not work either and I still get an overfull \box:->

what if you say:

[verytolerant,stretch]
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: loose paragraph formatting
@ 2002-06-28 14:31       ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2002-06-28 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

> >\start
> >\setuptolerance[stretch]
> ><paragraph>\par
> >\stop
> >
> >did not work either and I still get an overfull \box:->
>
> what if you say:
>
> [verytolerant,stretch]

It works! Thnx to both u and Giuseppe.

I'll try to not to forget the \par anymore:-)

Best
Idris

--

@ 2002-06-30 20:24 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2002-06-30 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Donnerstag, 27. Juni 2002 16:09 schrieb Idris S Hamid:
> Is there a declaration instead of setup that I can use for this kind of
> situation?

You may set the variables manually:

%\setuptolerance		[{horizontal, verytolerant},{vertical, verystrict}]
\clubpenalty=10000 % no clubs -- keine Schusterjungen
\widowpenalty=10000 % no widows -- keine Hurenkinder
\tolerance=1750 % line breaking tolerance (ca. 500--3000)
\emergencystretch=10 pt % additional stretching space per line

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
--
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
---