* metafun tryout
@ 2002-06-24 11:57 Kris Hermans
From: Kris Hermans @ 2002-06-24 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am trying a simple metafun example:

\starttext
\startuseMPgraphic{dummy}
  fill fullcircle scaled 5cm withcolor red;
\stopuseMPgraphic
\useMPgraphic{dummy}
\stoptext

When I run this (texexec --pdf mf01), the system complains:

systems        : begin file mf01 at line 4
Randomizer initialized to 711885528. [MP mpgraph.1]
[1.1{psfonts.map}{context.m
ap}{msfonts.map}]
systems        : end file mf01 at line 9
[flush and process mpgraph.mp afterwards] )<cmr12.pfb>
Output written on mf01.pdf (1 page, 3029 bytes).
Transcript written on mf01.log.

              run time : 1 seconds
   generating graphics : metaposting mpgraph.mp

 TeXExec 2.8 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2002

              metapost : mpgraph
                format : metafun
initexmf: don't know how to dump metafun
I can't find the default mem file!

        total run time : 0 seconds
  sorting and checking : running texutil

 TeXUtil 7.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1992-2000

                action : processing commands, lists and registers
                option : sorting IJ under Y
                option : converting high ASCII values
            input file : mf01.tui
           output file : mf01.tuo
       passed commands : 7
         remapped keys : 0
      register entries : 0 -> 0 entries 0 references
       synonym entries : 0 -> 0 entries
        embedded files : 1

        total run time : 2 seconds

I also ran "texexec --make metafun" and tried again: same results ...

thanks,

Kris.

PS: my system is WindowsXP/MikTeX2.1 with its packaged ConTeXt installation

* Re: metafun tryout
@ 2002-06-24 16:12 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-06-24 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 01:57 PM 6/24/2002 +0200, Kris Hermans wrote:

>I also ran "texexec --make metafun" and tried again: same results ...

run texexec --make --alone metafun

see where the mem file ends up

copy it to the path where the efmt files reside

run mktexlsr (or the miktex equivalent)

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* RE: metafun tryout
@ 2002-06-24 18:07   ` Kris Hermans
From: Kris Hermans @ 2002-06-24 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

What I did:

cd C:\temp
texexec --make --alone metafun

This gives some output, but there is no file being generated in my C:\temp
directory. So which file do I have to look for? Sorry for probably missing
an obvious detail ...

cheers,

Kris.

PS: here is the output of the command ...

TeXExec 2.8 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2002

(C:\texmf\metapost\context\metafun.mp (C:\texmf\metapost\base\plain.mp
Preloading the plain mem file, version 0.64)
(C:\texmf\metapost\context\mp-tool.mp)
(C:\texmf\metapost\context\mp-spec.mp)
(C:\texmf\metapost\context\mp-core.mp)
(C:\texmf\metapost\context\mp-page.mp)
(C:\texmf\metapost\context\mp-text.mp)
(C:\texmf\metapost\context\mp-shap.mp)
(C:\texmf\metapost\context\mp-butt.mp)
(C:\texmf\metapost\context\mp-char.mp)
(C:\texmf\metapost\context\mp-step.mp)
(C:\texmf\metapost\context\mp-grph.mp)
(C:\texmf\metapost\context\mp-grid.mp
(C:\texmf\metapost\context\mp-form.mp (C:\texmf\metapost\base\string.mp)
(C:\texmf\metapost\base\marith.mp (C:\texmf\metapost\base\string.mp))))
(C:\texmf\metapost\context\mp-func.mp) )
Beginning to dump on file metafun.mem
 (preloaded mem=metafun 2002.6.24)
at most 2641 strings of total length 35075
37762 memory locations dumped; current usage is 10893&26776
1496 symbolic tokens
Transcript written on metafun.log.

            TeX binary : pdfetex
             format(s) : metafun

        total run time : 0 seconds

@ 2002-06-24 19:36   ` David Petrou
From: David Petrou @ 2002-06-24 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> run texexec --make --alone metafun

i'm also having trouble with making the metafun format, although my
problem is slightly different.

some history: this is the third or fourth time i'm writing either to
this list or to individuals in trying to solve my problem.  i'm hoping
someone can help me this time.

this is what happens:

bwv988 0/19 /usr/share/texmf# texexec --make --alone metafun

 TeXExec 3.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2002

This is MetaPost, Version 0.641 (Web2C 7.3.1) (INIMP)
! I can't find file `metafun'.
<*> metafun

Please type another input file name:
! I can't find file `'.
<*> metafun

i'm trying to install the latest beta version of context (well, a
version from a couple weeks ago) on top of TeTeX.

i followed the context installation manual to the letter up to the
command to make the metafun format.  instead of doing what the manual
says, i tried what hans suggested.  (both ways fail the same way.)

this is the only file that looks like metafun that i have:

bwv988 0/24 /usr/share/texmf# find . -name '*metafun*'
./metapost/context/metafun.mp

is this the file that the previous command should process?  any idea
why it's not being found?  yes, i ran mktexlsr.

there are some more details on what i've done in previous posts i made
to this list, but i don't think the details are relevant.  i can dig
them up though, if the solution to my problem isn't apparent.

> Hans

thanks,
david

* Re: metafun tryout
@ 2002-06-24 21:16     ` Mr. Lei Wang
From: Mr. Lei Wang @ 2002-06-24 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

When using "texexec --make --alone metafun" to generate
metafun.mem , it must be in your $TEXMF/web2c/
or the current directory.

Wang

> i'm also having trouble with making the metafun format, although my
> problem is slightly different.
>
> some history: this is the third or fourth time i'm writing either to
> this list or to individuals in trying to solve my problem.  i'm hoping
> someone can help me this time.
>
> this is what happens:

> bwv988 0/19 /usr/share/texmf# texexec --make --alone metafun
>
>  TeXExec 3.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2002
>
> This is MetaPost, Version 0.641 (Web2C 7.3.1) (INIMP)
> ! I can't find file `metafun'.
> <*> metafun
>
> Please type another input file name:
> ! I can't find file `'.
> <*> metafun
>
> i'm trying to install the latest beta version of context (well, a
> version from a couple weeks ago) on top of TeTeX.
>
> i followed the context installation manual to the letter up to the
> command to make the metafun format.  instead of doing what the manual
> says, i tried what hans suggested.  (both ways fail the same way.)
>
> this is the only file that looks like metafun that i have:

> bwv988 0/24 /usr/share/texmf# find . -name '*metafun*'
> ./metapost/context/metafun.mp
>
> is this the file that the previous command should process?  any idea
> why it's not being found?  yes, i ran mktexlsr.
>
> there are some more details on what i've done in previous posts i made
> to this list, but i don't think the details are relevant.  i can dig
> them up though, if the solution to my problem isn't apparent.
>
> > Hans
>
> thanks,
> david

* RE: metafun tryout
@ 2002-06-25  6:15       ` Kris Hermans
From: Kris Hermans @ 2002-06-25  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Okay, somehow I managed to solve my problem. Recall that I used MikTeX 2.1

1. texexec --make --alone metafun

   This generates metafun.mem in %LOCALTEXMF%\miktex\fmt

2. Copy metafun.mem from %LOCALTEXMF%\miktex\fmt to %LOCALTEXMF%\miktex\mem
3. Refresh the filename database (I use the program "MikTeX Options")

That did it for me.

Thanks everyone!

Kris.

> i'm also having trouble with making the metafun format, although my
> problem is slightly different.
>
> some history: this is the third or fourth time i'm writing either to
> this list or to individuals in trying to solve my problem.  i'm hoping
> someone can help me this time.
>
> this is what happens:

> bwv988 0/19 /usr/share/texmf# texexec --make --alone metafun
>
>  TeXExec 3.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2002
>
> This is MetaPost, Version 0.641 (Web2C 7.3.1) (INIMP)
> ! I can't find file `metafun'.
> <*> metafun
>
> Please type another input file name:
> ! I can't find file `'.
> <*> metafun
>
> i'm trying to install the latest beta version of context (well, a
> version from a couple weeks ago) on top of TeTeX.
>
> i followed the context installation manual to the letter up to the
> command to make the metafun format.  instead of doing what the manual
> says, i tried what hans suggested.  (both ways fail the same way.)
>
> this is the only file that looks like metafun that i have:

> bwv988 0/24 /usr/share/texmf# find . -name '*metafun*'
> ./metapost/context/metafun.mp
>
> is this the file that the previous command should process?  any idea
> why it's not being found?  yes, i ran mktexlsr.
>
> there are some more details on what i've done in previous posts i made
> to this list, but i don't think the details are relevant.  i can dig
> them up though, if the solution to my problem isn't apparent.
>
> > Hans
>
> thanks,
> david

* RE: metafun tryout
@ 2002-06-25 15:40         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-06-25 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 08:15 AM 6/25/2002 +0200, Kris Hermans wrote:
>Okay, somehow I managed to solve my problem. Recall that I used MikTeX 2.1
>
>1. texexec --make --alone metafun
>
>    This generates metafun.mem in %LOCALTEXMF%\miktex\fmt
>
>2. Copy metafun.mem from %LOCALTEXMF%\miktex\fmt to %LOCALTEXMF%\miktex\mem
>3. Refresh the filename database (I use the program "MikTeX Options")
>
>That did it for me.

ah, so miktex uses different path for fmt and mem (if you want, you can
configure the paths in texexec.ini in the miktex section)

@ 2002-06-25 15:50     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-06-25 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 03:36 PM 6/24/2002 -0400, David Petrou wrote:
> > run texexec --make --alone metafun
>
>is this the file that the previous command should process?  any idea
>why it's not being found?  yes, i ran mktexlsr.
>
>there are some more details on what i've done in previous posts i made
>to this list, but i don't think the details are relevant.  i can dig
>them up though, if the solution to my problem isn't apparent.

what happens if you run

   texexec --make --alone metafun

in the path where metafun.mp resides?

when you got an metafun.mem, put it in the path that

   kpsewhich cont-en.efmt

reports

@ 2002-06-26 21:04       ` David Petrou
From: David Petrou @ 2002-06-26 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > > run texexec --make --alone metafun
> >
> >is this the file that the previous command should process?  any idea
> >why it's not being found?  yes, i ran mktexlsr.
>
> what happens if you run
>
>    texexec --make --alone metafun
>
> in the path where metafun.mp resides?

ok, this works.  is there something wrong with my tetex installation?

> when you got an metafun.mem, put it in the path that
>
>    kpsewhich cont-en.efmt
>
> reports

ok, i did that:
bwv988 metapost/context# kpsewhich cont-en.efmt
/var/lib/texmf/web2c/cont-en.efmt
bwv988 metapost/context# mv metafun.mem /var/lib/texmf/web2c/cont-en.efmt

but, my test doesn't work:

bwv988 0/266 ~/play_context> more play.tex
\starttext
Hello world.
\stoptext
bwv988 0/265 ~/play_context> texexec play

 TeXExec 3.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2002

            executable : pdfetex
                format : cont-en
             inputfile : play
                output : standard
             interface : en
          current mode : none
               TeX run : 1

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-13d-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.1)
(Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)

              run time : 0 seconds

        total run time : 0 seconds

any ideas?

> Hans

thanks,
david

* Re: metafun tryout
@ 2002-06-27 16:48         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-06-27 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 05:04 PM 6/26/2002 -0400, you wrote:

> > >is this the file that the previous command should process?  any idea
> > >why it's not being found?  yes, i ran mktexlsr.
> >
> > what happens if you run
> >
> >    texexec --make --alone metafun
> >
> > in the path where metafun.mp resides?
>
>ok, this works.  is there something wrong with my tetex installation?
>
> > when you got an metafun.mem, put it in the path that
> >
> >    kpsewhich cont-en.efmt
> >
> > reports
>
>ok, i did that:
>bwv988 metapost/context# kpsewhich cont-en.efmt
>/var/lib/texmf/web2c/cont-en.efmt
>bwv988 metapost/context# mv metafun.mem /var/lib/texmf/web2c/cont-en.efmt

ah, now you replaced context with metafun,

texexec --make --alone en metafun

   mv cont-en.efmt /var/lib/texmf/web2c
   mv metafun.mem  /var/lib/texmf/web2c

is better

@ 2002-06-27 18:24           ` David Petrou
From: David Petrou @ 2002-06-27 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

> >ok, i did that:
> >bwv988 metapost/context# kpsewhich cont-en.efmt
> >/var/lib/texmf/web2c/cont-en.efmt
> >bwv988 metapost/context# mv metafun.mem /var/lib/texmf/web2c/cont-en.efmt
>
> ah, now you replaced context with metafun,

oh that was stupid of me.  :)

but when i run the texexec command what you suggested (texexec --make
--alone en metafun), i get:

! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [pool size=221441].
\docopyvalue ... \@EA \@EA \csname #1#3\endcsname
                                                  \@EA {\csname #2#3\endcsna...

\next1 #1,->\docopyparameter {#1}
                                 \doprocesscommaitem
<argument> ...ergrondraster ,\c!achtergrondkleur ,
                                                  \c!uitlijnen ,\c!onder ,\c...

\doprocesscommalist ...aitem \gobbleoneargument #1
                                                  ,]\relax \global \advance ...

\copylocalframed ...c!boven ,\c!strut ,\c!plaats ]
                                                  \copyparameters [#1\c!acht...

\dododefinieerplaatsblok ...localframed [\??fl #1]
                                                  \stelplaatsblokin [#1] [\c...
l.1826

so what i did instead was first run `texexec --make en nl' like the
instructions suggest, and then run `texexec --make --alone metafun'.
after moving the metafun.mem file, things work fine, except it takes
REALLY long to process a simple one-line file.

the docs say that things can take a long time if i made a mistake
doing installation.  but i really tried hard to follow the
instructions to the letter.  i'm appending below what a run looks
like.  (i actually ran it twice in case there were caching effects.)

also we're still left with the mystery of why i had to run `texexec
--make --alone metafun' from the directory that holds metafun.mp.

another (smallish) mystery: the docs say to modify a file called
`cont-sys.tex' to set certain defaults, etc.  but this file doesn't
exist.  there are other files with different extensions.  perhaps a
doc typo?

> Hans

thanks,
david

bwv988 0/13 ~/play_context> texexec play

 TeXExec 3.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2002

            executable : pdfetex
                format : cont-en
             inputfile : play
                output : standard
             interface : en
          current mode : none
               TeX run : 1

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-13d-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.1)
entering extended mode
(play.tex[/var/lib/texmf/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg]

ConTeXt  ver: 2002.6.7  fmt: 2002.6.27  int: english  mes: english

language       : language en is active
<protectionstate 0>
system         : cont-new loaded
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-new.tex
systems        : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex!
system (E-TEX) : [line 854] \dimexpr
)
system         : cont-old loaded
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-old.tex
)
system         : cont-fil loaded
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-fil.tex
)
bodyfont       : 12pt rm is loaded
language       : patterns 2:2-en-2 3:2-uk-2 4:2-de-2 5:2-fr-2 7:2-it-2 2-nl-2 l
oaded
specials       : tex,postscript,rokicki loaded
system         : play.top loaded
(./play.top)
pdftex         : needs map file: original-context-symbol.map
pdftex         : needs map file: pl0-ams-cmr.map
pdftex         : needs map file: original-vogel-symbol.map
(./play.tuo) (./play.tuo) (./play.tuo) (./play.tuo) (./play.tuo) (./play.tuo)
(./play.tuo) (./play.tuo) (./play.tuo) (./play.tuo) (./play.tuo) (./play.tuo)
(./play.tuo)
systems        : begin file play at line 1
[1.1]
systems        : end file play at line 3
 )
Output written on play.dvi (1 page, 304 bytes).
Transcript written on play.log.

              run time : 78 seconds
  sorting and checking : running texutil

 TeXUtil 7.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1992-2000

                action : processing commands, lists and registers
                option : sorting IJ under Y
                option : converting high ASCII values
            input file : play.tui
           output file : play.tuo
       passed commands : 7
         remapped keys : 0
      register entries : 0 -> 0 entries 0 references
       synonym entries : 0 -> 0 entries
        embedded files : 1

        total run time : 78 seconds
bwv988 0/14 ~/play_context>

* Re: metafun tryout
@ 2002-06-28  7:11             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-06-28  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 02:24 PM 6/27/2002 -0400, David Petrou wrote:

>but when i run the texexec command what you suggested (texexec --make
>--alone en metafun), i get:

>! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [pool size=221441].
>\docopyvalue ... \@EA \@EA \csname #1#3\endcsname
>                                                   \@EA {\csname
> #2#3\endcsna...
>
>\next1 #1,->\docopyparameter {#1}
>                                  \doprocesscommaitem
><argument> ...ergrondraster ,\c!achtergrondkleur ,
>                                                   \c!uitlijnen ,\c!onder
> ,\c...
>
>\doprocesscommalist ...aitem \gobbleoneargument #1
>                                                   ,]\relax \global
> \advance ...
>
>\copylocalframed ...c!boven ,\c!strut ,\c!plaats ]
>                                                   \copyparameters
> [#1\c!acht...
>
>\dododefinieerplaatsblok ...localframed [\??fl #1]
>                                                   \stelplaatsblokin [#1]
> [\c...
>l.1826

This is weird, and it looks like something is wrong with your system setup;

>so what i did instead was first run `texexec --make en nl' like the
>instructions suggest, and then run `texexec --make --alone metafun'.

ok (btw, a next tetex can generate metafun formats as well but i still have
to patch texexec for that)

you can try

texconfig -e

or so, and uncomment the metafun line of it's there

>after moving the metafun.mem file, things work fine, except it takes
>REALLY long to process a simple one-line file.

ok, then indeed something's wrong with your system, did you run

mktexlsr

(generate file database)

>the docs say that things can take a long time if i made a mistake
>doing installation.  but i really tried hard to follow the
>instructions to the letter.  i'm appending below what a run looks
>like.  (i actually ran it twice in case there were caching effects.)

when the file database is generated (ls-r files) tex programs become much
faster in file lookup (now the slow down comes from locating font files and so)

>also we're still left with the mystery of why i had to run `texexec
>--make --alone metafun' from the directory that holds metafun.mp.

has to do with the fact that until recently, tex installations did not
generate metapost formats at the user's site

>another (smallish) mystery: the docs say to modify a file called
>`cont-sys.tex' to set certain defaults, etc.  but this file doesn't
>exist.  there are other files with different extensions.  perhaps a
>doc typo?

search for cont-sys.rme

@ 2002-07-01  3:22               ` David Petrou
From: David Petrou @ 2002-07-01  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

> >after moving the metafun.mem file, things work fine, except it takes
> >REALLY long to process a simple one-line file.
>
> ok, then indeed something's wrong with your system, did you run
>
> mktexlsr

yes.  as i mentioned in previous postings, i ran `texconfig rehash'
which runs `mktexlsr'.  but just for the heck of it, i ran
`mktexlsr'.  it still takes about 80 seconds to process a very simple
file.

could it be that there are multiple databases on my system, and the
wrong one is getting updated?  any ideas what i should try or look for
in debugging this?

> >another (smallish) mystery: the docs say to modify a file called
> >`cont-sys.tex' to set certain defaults, etc.  but this file doesn't
> >exist.  there are other files with different extensions.  perhaps a
> >doc typo?
>
> search for cont-sys.rme

i have ./tex/context/user/cont-sys.rme.  modifying that didn't work.
i copied it to cont-sys.ini in the same directory like i did with
texexec.rme.  then modifying the ini file worked fine.  maybe this
should be documented.

i feel like i'm really close to actually using context for a project.
now if only i can get it to run in a reasonable amount of time...

> Hans

thanks,
david

* Re: metafun tryout
@ 2002-07-01 12:21                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-07-01 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 11:22 PM 6/30/2002 -0400, David Petrou wrote:
> > >after moving the metafun.mem file, things work fine, except it takes
> > >REALLY long to process a simple one-line file.
> >
> > ok, then indeed something's wrong with your system, did you run
> >
> > mktexlsr
>
>yes.  as i mentioned in previous postings, i ran `texconfig rehash'
>which runs `mktexlsr'.  but just for the heck of it, i ran
>`mktexlsr'.  it still takes about 80 seconds to process a very simple
>file.
>
>could it be that there are multiple databases on my system, and the
>wrong one is getting updated?  any ideas what i should try or look for
>in debugging this?

80 sec is far too long; can you check if the ls-r files were updated? maybe
a file permission problem

> > >another (smallish) mystery: the docs say to modify a file called
> > >`cont-sys.tex' to set certain defaults, etc.  but this file doesn't
> > >exist.  there are other files with different extensions.  perhaps a
> > >doc typo?
> >
> > search for cont-sys.rme
>
>i have ./tex/context/user/cont-sys.rme.  modifying that didn't work.
>i copied it to cont-sys.ini in the same directory like i did with

cont-sys.tex

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: metafun tryout
@ 2002-07-08 18:39                   ` David Petrou
                                       ` (2 more replies)
From: David Petrou @ 2002-07-08 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

sorry for the long email, but after a month of fiddling, i still can't
use context.  and from all the posts i've been reading on this mailing
list, it seems great, and i can't wait to start.

> >yes.  as i mentioned in previous postings, i ran `texconfig rehash'
> >which runs `mktexlsr'.  but just for the heck of it, i ran
> >`mktexlsr'.  it still takes about 80 seconds to process a very simple
> >file.
>
> 80 sec is far too long; can you check if the ls-r files were updated? maybe
> a file permission problem

this is what i see, as root, when remaking the databases:

bash-2.04# texconfig rehash
mktexlsr: Updating /var/lib/texmf/ls-R...
mktexlsr: Updating /var/lib/texmf/db/ls-R...
mktexlsr: Updating /var/cache/fonts/ls-R...
mktexlsr: Done.

when i `ls -l' each of those files, i see an updated time:

bwv988 0/88 /var/lib/texmf> ls -l /var/lib/texmf/ls-R
-rw-rw-rw-    1 root     root         2794 Jul  8 14:22 /var/lib/texmf/ls-R
bwv988 0/89 /var/lib/texmf> ls -l /var/lib/texmf/db/ls-R
-rw-rw-rw-    1 root     root       146928 Jul  8 14:22 /var/lib/texmf/db/ls-R
bwv988 0/90 /var/lib/texmf> ls -l /var/cache/fonts/ls-R
-rw-rw-rw-    1 root     root         1153 Jul  8 14:22 /var/cache/fonts/ls-R
bwv988 0/91 /var/lib/texmf> date
Mon Jul  8 14:27:14 EDT 2002

finally, if i grep the first two files for the string `cont', i get
many hits.

i'm still stuck on how to get context to run in less than 80 seconds.
let me describe how i installed it, maybe the problem will be apparent
to you:

i'm using tetex that comes with an old context.  i want to replace
this old context with the latest.  so, i:

su to root

cp cont-tmf.zip to /usr/share/texmf
go there and unzip cont-tmf.zip.
remove the zip.

cd context/perltk
bash-2.04# ln -s fdf2tan.pl fdf2tan
bash-2.04# ln -s fdf2tex.pl fdf2tex
bash-2.04# ln -s makempy.pl makempy
bash-2.04# ln -s mptopdf.pl mptopdf
bash-2.04# ln -s texexec.pl texexec
bash-2.04# ln -s texfind.pl texfind
bash-2.04# ln -s texfont.pl texfont
bash-2.04# ln -s texshow.pl texshow
bash-2.04# ln -s texutil.pl texutil

chmod 755 *pl

now, from my TeTeX installation, /usr/bin/texexec is a symlink to
/usr/share/texmf/teTeX/bin/i386-linux-glibc/texexec, which is an old
texexec.  so, what i do is make sure that
/usr/share/texmf/context/perltk is before /usr/bin in my PATH
environment variable to make sure that the new version will get run.

(this is the only step that makes me worry.  i'm positive that when i
run `texexec' that the one i just installed is being invoked, but
perhaps in the process of typesetting, some parts of the old context
are being invoked.)

add "map +context.map" to the end of
/var/lib/texmf/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg and
/usr/share/texmf/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg (which are the same file on
my machine).

go to /usr/share/texmf/context/perltk and copy texexec.rme to
texexec.ini.

texconfig rehash

texexec --make en nl

then, cd to where metafun.mp is (/usr/share/texmf/metapost/context/)

and run:
texexec --make --alone metafun

then move metafun.mem to the directory output by kpsewhich
cont-en.efmt:
mv metafun.mem /var/lib/texmf/web2c

> Hans

thanks,
david

* Re: metafun tryout
@ 2002-07-08 20:26                     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2002-07-08 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Am Montag, 8. Juli 2002 20:39 schrieb David Petrou:
> now, from my TeTeX installation, /usr/bin/texexec is a symlink to
> /usr/share/texmf/teTeX/bin/i386-linux-glibc/texexec, which is an old
> texexec.  so, what i do is make sure that
> /usr/share/texmf/context/perltk is before /usr/bin in my PATH
> environment variable to make sure that the new version will get run.

On my teTeX (SuSe 7.3) I replaced the old binaries with symlinks to the perl
scripts.

> go to /usr/share/texmf/context/perltk and copy texexec.rme to
> texexec.ini.

Did you ensure the following line in texexec.ini:
set  TeXShell  to  tetex

> texconfig rehash

> texexec --make en nl

The formats are created?
("texexec --make" is enough -- you'll get metfun, too)

> then move metafun.mem to the directory output by kpsewhich
> cont-en.efmt:
> mv metafun.mem /var/lib/texmf/web2c

perhaps texhash again.

What gives "texexec --verbose"?

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
--
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
---

* Re: metafun tryout
@ 2002-07-08 21:16                       ` David Petrou
From: David Petrou @ 2002-07-08 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

> > now, from my TeTeX installation, /usr/bin/texexec is a symlink to
> > /usr/share/texmf/teTeX/bin/i386-linux-glibc/texexec, which is an old
> > texexec.  so, what i do is make sure that
> > /usr/share/texmf/context/perltk is before /usr/bin in my PATH
> > environment variable to make sure that the new version will get run.
>
> On my teTeX (SuSe 7.3) I replaced the old binaries with symlinks to the perl
> scripts.

i'll try this later to see if it makes a difference.  the only way i
imagine it could make a difference is if texexec or anything it runs
calls programs directly from /usr/bin instead of honoring the path env
var.

> > go to /usr/share/texmf/context/perltk and copy texexec.rme to
> > texexec.ini.
>
> Did you ensure the following line in texexec.ini:
> set  TeXShell  to  tetex

yup.  i have two files that are texexec.ini:

bwv988 0/4 /usr/share/texmf> find . -name texexec.ini
./context/config/texexec.ini
./context/perltk/texexec.ini

both have that line.

> > texconfig rehash
>
> > texexec --make en nl
>
> The formats are created?
> ("texexec --make" is enough -- you'll get metfun, too)

nope.  for reasons i don't understand, i needed to do the metafun step
separately.  (see the posts between hans and i on this list for more
info.)

> > then move metafun.mem to the directory output by kpsewhich
> > cont-en.efmt:
> > mv metafun.mem /var/lib/texmf/web2c
>
> perhaps texhash again.

i've done that.  many times.

> What gives "texexec --verbose"?

here you go.  hope it helps:

bwv988 0/12 ~> which texexec
/usr/share/texmf/context/perltk/texexec
bwv988 0/13 ~> texexec --verbose

 TeXExec 3.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2002

     locating ini file : found by kpsewhich
               reading : /usr/share/texmf/context/config/texexec.ini
               setting : 'TeXShell' to 'tetex' for 'all'
               setting : 'UsedInterfaces' to 'en,nl,de,uk' for 'all'
               setting : 'UserInterface' to 'en' for 'all'
               setting : 'TeXExecutable' to 'tex' for 'all'
               setting : 'MpExecutable' to 'mpost' for 'all'
               setting : 'MpToTeXExecutable' to 'mpto' for 'all'
               setting : 'DviToMpExecutable' to 'dvitomp' for 'all'
               setting : 'UsedInterfaces' to 'en,nl,de,uk' for 'tetex'
               setting : 'UserInterface' to 'en' for 'tetex'
               setting : 'TeXExecutable' to 'pdfetex' for 'tetex'

          used setting : TeXShell = tetex
          used setting : SetupPath =
          used setting : UserInterface = en
          used setting : UsedInterfaces = en,nl,de,uk
          used setting : TeXFontsPath = .
          used setting : MpExecutable = mpost
          used setting : MpToTeXExecutable = mpto
          used setting : DviToMpExecutable = dvitomp
          used setting : TeXProgramPath =
          used setting : TeXFormatPath =
          used setting : ConTeXtPath =
          used setting : TeXScriptsPath =
          used setting : TeXExecutable = pdfetex
          used setting : TeXVirginFlag = -ini
          used setting : TeXBatchFlag = -int=batchmode
          used setting : MpBatchFlag = -int=batchmode
          used setting : TeXPassString =
          used setting : TeXFormatFlag =
          used setting : MpFormatFlag =
          used setting : MpVirginFlag = -ini
          used setting : MpPassString =
          used setting : MpFormat = metafun
          used setting : MpFormatPath =
          used setting : FmtLanguage =
          used setting : FmtBodyFont =
          used setting : FmtResponse =
          used setting : TcXPath =
          used setting : SetFile =

 applications will use : /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf
      locating fmtutil : /usr/bin/fmtutil

                --help   overview of all options and their values
            --help all   all about all options
          --help short   just the main options
   --help mode ... pdf   all about a few options
        --help '*.pdf'   all about options containing 'pdf'

        total run time : 0 seconds

> Grüßlis vom Hraban!

thanks!
david

* Re: metafun tryout
@ 2002-07-09  8:03                     ` Siep
From: Siep @ 2002-07-09  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002 14:39:21 -0400
"David Petrou" <dpetrou@ece.cmu.edu> wrote:

> ---- i'm using tetex that comes with an old context.  i want to
> replace this old context with the latest.  so, i:
>
> su to root
>
> cp cont-tmf.zip to /usr/share/texmf
> go there and unzip cont-tmf.zip.
> remove the zip.
>
> cd context/perltk
> bash-2.04# ln -s fdf2tan.pl fdf2tan
> bash-2.04# ln -s fdf2tex.pl fdf2tex
> bash-2.04# ln -s makempy.pl makempy
> bash-2.04# ln -s mptopdf.pl mptopdf
> bash-2.04# ln -s texexec.pl texexec
> bash-2.04# ln -s texfind.pl texfind
> bash-2.04# ln -s texfont.pl texfont
> bash-2.04# ln -s texshow.pl texshow
> bash-2.04# ln -s texutil.pl texutil
>
> chmod 755 *pl
>
> now, from my TeTeX installation, /usr/bin/texexec is a symlink to
> /usr/share/texmf/teTeX/bin/i386-linux-glibc/texexec, which is an
> old texexec.  so, what i do is make sure that
> /usr/share/texmf/context/perltk is before /usr/bin in my PATH
> environment variable to make sure that the new version will get
> run.

In later versions of tetex, texexec is a script which calls
the real texexec.pl:

=====================================
#!/bin/sh

# find out which program is wanted by
# removing everything from the first parameter
# up to and including the last forward slash.
# there are symlinks to texexec, so this script may also be
# called as texutil

what=`echo $0 | sed 's@.*/@@'`

# find the exact location of $what.pl

p=`kpsewhich -progname=context -format='other text files' $what.pl`
{ test -n "$p" && test -f "$p"; } \
  || { echo "\`$what.pl' not found."; exit 1; }

# run the script

perl "$p" "$@"
====================================

So if your teTeX is recent enough then you can leave the perl scripts
where they are. This may have nothing to do with your problem, but it
does simplify installation.

--
Siep Kroonenberg
siep@elvenkind.com

* Re: metafun tryout
@ 2002-07-10 21:46                     ` David Petrou
From: David Petrou @ 2002-07-10 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Well, I finally got context to take a reasonably amount of time (2
seconds) on teTeX.  I'm hoping this email will do two things: (1) help
others with 80+ second compile times, and (2) prevent this problem
from occuring to others in the future.  On the latter point, while I
can explain what I did to fix to problem, I do not fully understand
why the problem occurred (although I have a theory).  I'm hoping
whoever knows more than I can make the necessary fix to context
itself, and / or its documentation.

As I mentioned in previous emails, I installed a new copy of context
on my teTeX installation.  To ensure that the new versions of programs
like texexec, etc would be run, instead of the symlinks put in
/usr/bin by the tetex installation, I simply put
/usr/share/texmf/context/perltk/ ahead of /usr/bin in my path.

It appears that that wasn't enough, however.  Even after repeatedly
remaking the ls-lR hashes, context compilation was excruciatingly
slow.

I had a hunch that texexec or something that it called was then
calling out to old versions in /usr/bin.  So what I
did was change the symlinks there to point to the new context files.
That is, on my tetex installation, the original symlinks were:

bash-2.04# ls -l texexec texshow texutil
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           49 Aug 31  2001 texexec -> ../share/texmf/teTeX/bin/i386-linux-glibc/texexec
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           49 Aug 31  2001 texshow -> ../share/texmf/teTeX/bin/i386-linux-glibc/texshow
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           49 Aug 31  2001 texutil -> ../share/texmf/teTeX/bin/i386-linux-glibc/texutil

I made them point to their scripts in
/usr/share/texmf/context/perltk:

ln -sf /usr/share/texmf/context/perltk/texexec.pl /usr/bin/texexec
ln -sf /usr/share/texmf/context/perltk/texshow.pl /usr/bin/texshow
ln -sf /usr/share/texmf/context/perltk/texutil.pl /usr/bin/texutil

Now I can actually use context.

thanks,
david

* Re: metafun tryout
@ 2002-07-10 21:48                       ` David Petrou
From: David Petrou @ 2002-07-10 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

> > now, from my TeTeX installation, /usr/bin/texexec is a symlink to
> > /usr/share/texmf/teTeX/bin/i386-linux-glibc/texexec, which is an
> > old texexec.  so, what i do is make sure that
> > /usr/share/texmf/context/perltk is before /usr/bin in my PATH
> > environment variable to make sure that the new version will get
> > run.
>
> In later versions of tetex, texexec is a script which calls
> the real texexec.pl:
[...]
> So if your teTeX is recent enough then you can leave the perl scripts
> where they are.

aha.  well, my tetex isn't recent enough for that.  as i just posted
to this list, I had to mod the symlinks in /usr/bin to get context to
work properly.  i hope this will be documented to save future users a
lot of pain.

> Siep Kroonenberg
> siep@elvenkind.com

thanks,