* Re: Who uses ConTeXt
@ 2002-07-11  6:27 Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2002-07-11  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ahoi!

Someone asked, who uses ConTeXt:

I'm a typesetter and (something like a) printing engineer, working as "system
coach" (a bit admin, a bit script programmer, a bit teacher, mostly
troubleshooter...) for the prepress department of a regional newspaper.
At work I use ConTeXt for presentations, workflow charts and sometimes for
documentations. (Our IT departments wants me to use Word and PP, but they'd
like to keep me...)

In my spare(?) time I work on publications for my unitarian religious
fellowship, e.g. our magazine (until now with QuarkXPress, perhaps soon with
ConTeXt, but it's hard), sometimes a book (at the moment).
As I prepared my first unitarian book I decided to try TeX, as I heard about
from some friends. Soon I found that LaTeX didn't fit my needs (no grid
setting), and someone on TeX-D-L (german TeX mailing list) said, he heard
about ConTeXt, what should be able to do it. And here I am. :-)

To learn ConTeXt a bit better (and because I boasted to much on TeX-D-L)
I started to write a german documentation/tutorial -- see link below.
Further I'm working since years on a fantasy book by a friend -- I have to
type it myself, he writes manually, that's why it's not really going on...
;-/

BTW, concerning languages: I'd suggest to re-implement everything in
PostScript, no, better: AppleScript! >;->>
No, really, it's most important to use a language that is easy to get and
install on a wide variety of OSes. And that seems to be Perl.

(At work I must use WinNT, at home I run Linux and MacOS 9 on a G4 -- but I
didn't manage to get texexec running with MacPerl.)

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
--
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/ (should be updated and refurbished...)
---

* Re: Who uses ConTeXt
@ 2002-07-11  9:50 ` Axel Rose
From: Axel Rose @ 2002-07-11  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Um 8:27 Uhr +0200 11.07.2002, schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm:
>(At work I must use WinNT, at home I run Linux and MacOS 9 on a G4 -- but I
>didn't manage to get texexec running with MacPerl.)

I would be happy to make the latter possible.
The question here for me isn't MacPerl but a ConTeXt installation
on classic MacOS. I'm using CMacTeX which doesn't contain any
ConTeXt macros.

Eventually only a few people will care about this and use
MacOS X or other platforms.

Axel

* Re: Who uses ConTeXt
@ 2002-07-11 19:03   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2002-07-11 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Donnerstag, 11. Juli 2002 11:50 schrieb Axel Rose:
> > I didn't manage to get texexec running with MacPerl.)
> I would be happy to make the latter possible.
> The question here for me isn't MacPerl but a ConTeXt installation
> on classic MacOS. I'm using CMacTeX which doesn't contain any
> ConTeXt macros.

Where's the problem? CMacTeX uses a standard texmf tree, AFAIR.
You only need an unzipper that behaves like GNU zip, that is, merges
directories instead of creating new ones or overwrite older...

There was an attempt to port VTeX on MacOS Classic; they wrote an
installer with AppleScript that put the files from several unzipped
directories into one tree... (That was the part that worked; the VTeX alpha
itself crashed so often and so bad, that I gave up testing.)

At a first look I thought the problem with texexec on MacOS/MacPerl was the
missing concept of an actual dir. I could make the ConTeXt formats manually
with CMacTeX's pdfeTeX -- if I saved them I could send you the applescripts.

But without the Perl scripts, ConTeXt is nearly nothing.

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
--
http://www.angerweit.de
http://www.fiee.net

* Re: Who uses ConTeXt
@ 2002-07-09  6:01 mari.voipio
From: mari.voipio @ 2002-07-09  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Second try, I still seem to have problems with the configuration of my
email program, got the wrong sender address in the first message.]